NCAA Football Super Series (2019 version)

JCRGraphix

Up next we have the University of New Jersey Mallards. They use their blue and green jerseys equally for home games.

University of New Jersey

Type: Public University
Founded: 1895

Major Rivals: New Jersey State, Rutgers

National Championship Runner-Up: 2 2007, 2009

new+jersey+-+road.png

new+jersey+-+home.png

new+jersey+-+alt.png

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with that, everything from here on out is brand new!

Up next we have the Bandits of New York State. I always wanted to make raccoon logo, so this was the perfect opportunity.

New York State University

Type: Public University
Founded: 1895

Major Rivals: Brooklyn, Staten Island

National Championship Runner-Up: 1 1981

new+york+state+-+road.png

new+york+state+-+home.png

new+york+state+-+alt.png

And to finish off the Atlantic-8, we have the Staten Island Flying Dutchmen

University of Staten Island

Type: Private University
Founded: 1911

Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Major Rivals: Brooklyn, New York State

National Championships: 1 2002

staten+island+-+road.png

staten+island+-+home.png

staten+island+-+alt.png

Next we head to the Gulf Coast Conference... 

00-GCC+MAP.png

Up first, we have an HBCU, the Alabama Tech Patriots.

Alabama Institute of Technology

Type: Public University
Founded: 1933

Major Rivals: Mobile State, Huntsville

alabama+tech+-+road.png

alabama+tech+-+home.png

alabama+tech+-+alt.png

I just read through... everything, and it's glorious. Jeez, Louise. The only three comments I have, in reverse chronological order:

1. If you look at real life HBCUs, all but a handful use animal mascots and nicknames, and all but one use easily definable and drawable mascots and nicknames (the one exception being Aggies). Patriots doesn't really fit with the rest of the pack, but that's personal opinion.

2. Bandits for a university founded so long ago seems a bit out of place, although the logo absolutely fits both the name and "Old institution trying to connect and modernize" (I assure you this is meant in the best of ways). We're talking about a school that would have been founded only 30 years after Cornell, and which would be an old standard of American education. Again, personal opinion, but maybe something to consider.

3. The Brooklyn (College) Bulldogs already exist, but that may have been intentional (it only caught my eye because the others are fictional and I'm from Brooklyn).

I apologize if this comes across as overly critical. I've loved every single concept in this thread (and the other threads of yours I poked around at after), seriously!

2 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I just read through... everything, and it's glorious. Jeez, Louise. The only three comments I have, in reverse chronological order:

1. If you look at real life HBCUs, all but a handful use animal mascots and nicknames, and all but one use easily definable and drawable mascots and nicknames (the one exception being Aggies). Patriots doesn't really fit with the rest of the pack, but that's personal opinion.

2. Bandits for a university founded so long ago seems a bit out of place, although the logo absolutely fits both the name and "Old institution trying to connect and modernize" (I assure you this is meant in the best of ways). We're talking about a school that would have been founded only 30 years after Cornell, and which would be an old standard of American education. Again, personal opinion, but maybe something to consider.

3. The Brooklyn (College) Bulldogs already exist, but that may have been intentional (it only caught my eye because the others are fictional and I'm from Brooklyn).

I apologize if this comes across as overly critical. I've loved every single concept in this thread (and the other threads of yours I poked around at after), seriously!

That's some great feedback! Because our benevolent and omnipotent mods killed the Sports Fan Fiction forum, I can't do too much history, but all of these schools have some.

1. Good point, the "history" behind this decision is that the university was founded by African-American WWI vets (hence "Patriots") that wanted a university where young African-Americans could learn technical trades at the same or higher level than Georgia Tech for example.

2. The school used the "Mohawks" as their mascot until the early 1980s when students took a vote to change it to the Bandits.

3. That's an oversight on my part! I didn't know that was their moniker, but perhaps in this reality, they became a major university...

Again, I really appreciate the feedback, and I will add a little more history with each one...

Up next we have a southern Catholic school, once known as the Notre Dame of the South. The Reds have had the same basic look for the last 70 years, but changed their logo from a Native American based logo to a block letter logo in the 1990s. They had a long standing rivalry with LSU, being from the same city, but when the Super Series was created and LSU was not promoted, that rivalry cooled off a bit. It's always a high point on the schedule though each year!

Baton Rouge University

Founded: 1890

Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Major Rivals: Shreveport, LSU

National Championships: 1 1965

baton+rouge+-+road.png

baton+rouge+-+home.png

1 hour ago, JCRGraphix said:

That's some great feedback! Because our benevolent and omnipotent mods killed the Sports Fan Fiction forum, I can't do too much history, but all of these schools have some.

1. Good point, the "history" behind this decision is that the university was founded by African-American WWI vets (hence "Patriots") that wanted a university where young African-Americans could learn technical trades at the same or higher level than Georgia Tech for example.

2. The school used the "Mohawks" as their mascot until the early 1980s when students took a vote to change it to the Bandits.

3. That's an oversight on my part! I didn't know that was their moniker, but perhaps in this reality, they became a major university...

1. Makes a lot of sense! I figured based on all the info you have that there was a reason behind it, but it struck me as different enough to comment.

2. See above. Do you have crazy spreadsheets or something with all this written out? You definitely have the details somewhere, I'm curious how much is written out.

3. I assumed it was, but one never knows! It's really a great look (yours far more than theirs), and you can't be expected to know the nicknames of every tiny DIII CUNY school.

Seriously, great work! Absolutely love the BR mix for the Reds, ingenious.

Guest darkpiranha

What if you add some fan fiction-y elements, but hide them under spoiler tags, so it's not dominating a page by taking up 20 paragraphs of space?   

Personally, I think the fan fiction stuff should be judged on a case-by-case basis, or at least allowing those who obey the spirit of this forum (by, you know, actually posting designs and logos and uniforms and graphics) to include fan fiction-y elements in their posts.  THIS series 1000% qualifies under the design part, and the fan fiction stuff would only enrich the solid WORK that's been done.  I realize, mods, that it's a slippery slope, filled with cluelessly naive newbies greasing themselves up and attempting to run uphill, but I really miss some of the deeper details on teams we used to have that actually made the design choices more meaningful.  I think putting all fiction elements under spoiler tags would keep the clutter out, but still make it available for those interested in such things. 

Thanks guys! I have a spreadsheet as well as a word document for each conference, and that's what I've been working with.

So for those following along, here is a graphic with the national champions on it. This is artistically important because it shows the outline of the trophy...

champs.png

Each year beginning in 1963, a game was played for the National Championship with all the teams competing part of the FCD (Football Championship Division). In 1978, it became Division I while smaller schools made up Division I-A and Division I-AA. In 2006, it became the Football Super Series and the name has stuck.

Up next we have the Central Texas Devils. After using a knock-off of the Duke Blue Devils logo for several years, the university went through a brand refresh in the early 2000s and again in 2012 to their current look. The Devils have absolutely no white on their uniforms, instead wearing their silver uniforms on the road.

Central Texas University

Founded: 1906

Major Rivals: San Antonio, Augusta

central+texas+-+road.png

central+texas+-+home.png

central+texas+-+alt.png

Guest darkpiranha

Poor Maryland State.  The only (unless I'm miscounting) two-time runner-up without a championship.  Lots of one-appearance teams who look like they had a great QB or RB for a couple of years and achieved heights never reached before or since.  I guess by this point, if you fancy yourself a good team, you've won at least one championship.    

Just now, darkpiranha said:

Poor Maryland State.  The only (unless I'm miscounting) two-time runner-up without a championship.  Lots of one-appearance teams who look like they had a great QB or RB for a couple of years and achieved heights never reached before or since.  I guess by this point, if you fancy yourself a good team, you've won at least one championship.    

That's kind of what I figured. That's how it goes in the real word. I guess UPU would be like an Alabama. Anyways, back to designs...

Another HBCU, the Hialeah State Herons have worn the double-blue color scheme since their inception. In addition to the Super Series playoff, the Herons take part in an annual yearly half-game length scrimmage tournament and festival with fellow HBCUs Alabama Tech, Alabama Christian, and Mississippi Christian that features an alumni game and marching band showcase. In addition to being an HBCU, Hilaeah State has a rich history of Hispanic student-athletes as well with several stars of Cuban descent.

Hialeah State University

Founded: 1927

Major Rivals: Mississippi Christian, Miami

hialeah+state+-+road.png

hialeah+state+-+home.png

hialeah+state+-+alt.png

Up next are the Knoxville Knights. The University of Knoxville has an interesting history as it was once part of the University of Tennessee, but split in 1861 due to differences of opinion during the Civil War to become a Private University. Because of this split, Vols fans have always had a deep hatred of Knights fans referring to them as traitors. It is still a heated rivalry despite Knoxville moving up to the Super Series.

University of Knoxville

Founded: 1861

Major Rivals: Nashville, Tennessee

knoxville+-+road.png

knoxville+-+home.png

knoxville+-+alt.png

2 hours ago, JCRGraphix said:

That's kind of what I figured. That's how it goes in the real word. I guess UPU would be like an Alabama. Anyways, back to designs...

Another HBCU, the Hialeah State Herons have worn the double-blue color scheme since their inception. In addition to the Super Series playoff, the Herons take part in an annual yearly half-game length scrimmage tournament and festival with fellow HBCUs Alabama Tech, Alabama Christian, and Mississippi Christian that features an alumni game and marching band showcase. In addition to being an HBCU, Hilaeah State has a rich history of Hispanic student-athletes as well with several stars of Cuban descent.

Hialeah State University

Founded: 1927

Major Rivals: Mississippi Christian, Miami

hialeah+state+-+road.png

hialeah+state+-+home.png

hialeah+state+-+alt.png

Maybe my favorite one yet! Huge fan of everythin goin on here!

Also really enjoy seeing each teams eras, the dynasties of the Super Series. 
I wonder if you could throw together a page with all the logos next to each other, or maybe some uniform matchups or something.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived