my NFL rules change to reduce reliance on kicking

BBTV

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Where do Gorilla Plays fit into all this

I’ve been very consistent in my vision for this rule, so I’m not sure why you’d think I’d waver now. You can still deploy the gorilla, but you’d need 4 or 5 birds, and maybe a harness, to get it off the ground. It doesn’t get an exception to the feet-on-ground rule. 

eventually, breeders will start making  winged gorillas, at which point - like I want to do with kicking - we’ll need to re-examine the rule and see if it still makes sense. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think you just like arguing with me lately, but as I’ve explained, I don’t like that you only have to drive to the 35 or 40 to come away with points, and that once teams get into FG range at end of games (like LAR did vs SEA) they shut it down and just take the assumed 3 pts (which didn’t work out for LAR, but that’s the exception).  I want teams to have to keep matriculating the ball and not go into conservative mode as soon as they hit the 30. 

the rules were written in a different era, before specialized kicking was really a thing. I just think the rules should update with the times, like how the NBA changed it’s lanes once 7’2” centers were invented. 

No we just have opposite views on a lot of things. I don’t think kicking should be minimized. Should it be tougher sure, I do thing reducing the space between the uprights is a good idea, but further changing the rules to try to manipulate the strategy of the game I don’t agree with. I also don’t think teams are trying to ever score a field goal currently other than at the final minute of close games. Teams are always trying to get into the end zone but the chance at points are more valuable than a turnover on downs so that’s why teams don’t go for it on 4th down currently. 

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

What about if in order to kick a field goal, you have to start the game at another position. Keep all other rules the same but it would take away specialized kickers and you’d see Joe Staley straight toeing it as god intended

What about the opening kickoff?  With 50+ man rosters, teams will always have kickers - they'd just hide him as a WR for that first play.  As much as I despise that 50-yard field goals are such high-percentage plays these days, it's better than non-kickers tripping over their own feet only to boot a ball right up the guard's ass.  

I really think that narrowing the goal posts would make the game better.  It'd incentivize teams to keep pushing forward, while adding some drama to every kick.  I'd be fine with restoring the extra point to the 2-yard line too.

I don't know what the stats are, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out how narrow the posts would need to be in order to take like 10-yards off the 50/50 mark, which according to 538 is currently closer to 60 than 50.  It might be as easy as 1 foot on each side, maybe 2.

This whole thing is pretty interesting: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

morris-feature-riddles-1.png?w=1150morris-feature-riddles-71.png?w=1150

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What about the opening kickoff?  With 50+ man rosters, teams will always have kickers - they'd just hide him as a WR for that first play.  As much as I despise that 50-yard field goals are such high-percentage plays these days, it's better than non-kickers tripping over their own feet only to boot a ball right up the guard's ass.  

I really think that narrowing the goal posts would make the game better.  It'd incentivize teams to keep pushing forward, while adding some drama to every kick.  I'd be fine with restoring the extra point to the 2-yard line too.

I don't know what the stats are, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out how narrow the posts would need to be in order to take like 10-yards off the 50/50 mark, which according to 538 is currently closer to 60 than 50.  It might be as easy as 1 foot on each side, maybe 2.

This whole thing is pretty interesting: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

morris-feature-riddles-1.png?w=1150morris-feature-riddles-71.png?w=1150

I don’t know how to prove this nor turn it I to data but-

I would imagine that narrowing the posts would cause a larger number of kicks to miss that just counting those that barely cleared the goalposts, but would have missed with narrower posts. 

I would imagine that kickers would change their angle and intended location, and make more mistakes than before. I’m in favor of it. Reflects the game now where kickers just got better. Same deal with what they did with moving the extra point back. It’s not like nfl and ncaa agree anyway. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I’m all for moving the PAT back to the 2, they are going to making >90% of the time anyways from 15, and having it at the 2 brings back the rare trick play to try to get the 2 points. It was rare but it created things like the romo play in the playoffs against Seattle, or I remember to this day vinitieri Having a better passer rating than Brady one year because they did a fake kick and Adam threw to a wide open wr in the end zone. You don’t see that anymore.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I’m all for moving the PAT back to the 2, they are going to making >90% of the time anyways from 15, and having it at the 2 brings back the rare trick play to try to get the 2 points. It was rare but it created things like the romo play in the playoffs against Seattle, or I remember to this day vinitieri Having a better passer rating than Brady one year because they did a fake kick and Adam threw to a wide open wr in the end zone. You don’t see that anymore.

I fact checked your post, and was really surprised to see that they are making roughly 94% of kicks from the current distance.  I feel like I see 1 miss / game, but maybe that's because Eagles Jake Elliot is better from 60 yards than from 20.  Given that stat, I'm not sure it's had any impact on whether teams choose 2 vs 1, so yeah just put it back.

In my perfect world, narrowing the posts would drop the % to 90% even from the 2-yard line, but realistically, most kickers should be able to drill it right down the middle anyway, so it probably wouldn't impact PATs that much.

To me those kicking stats validate the minority-opinion that the old OT needed to be changed.  That OT started when getting to the 40 probably wasn’t going to be enough.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

26 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

To me those kicking stats validate the minority-opinion that the old OT needed to be changed.  That OT started when getting to the 40 probably wasn’t going to be enough.

I don't think there's much disagreement that the old rule needed to be changed, I just think that it was changed incorrectly.

I personally feel like a variation of the college OT rule is the most exciting thing, and I don't have a problem with "special" teams (other than FG unit) being taken out of the picture in OT.  However, I get that's the minority view, so simply a 'first to 4' would be better.  That way, while you could still lose without having the ball, at least the other team would need to drive the whole way in order for that to happen, and neither team can win with simply a FG on their possession.

Archived