2019 MLB Postseason thread

TrueYankee26

Just now, Dilbert said:

So the Nationals just wore Expos throwbacks this year because they felt like wearing a random team that no longer exists?

So did the Canes

Yes they did, I don’t think it’s that far fetched, it’s not a random team, the team moved and the history didn’t so they can say they used to be in Montreal, but the Nats dont claim any of the Expos history (to my knowledge I could be wrong) so the expos can’t claim the Nats future history 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

So did the Canes

Yes they did, I don’t think it’s that far fetched, it’s not a random team, the team moved and the history didn’t so they can say they used to be in Montreal, but the Nats dont claim any of the Expos history (to my knowledge I could be wrong) so the expos can’t claim the Nats future history 

But you claimed the Expos died in 2005. The Nationals do claim the Expos as part of their history, however the Expos didnt have much history to celebrate for one and the Nationals dont show a lot of that history.

Signature intentionally left blank

16 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Now if the Yankees turn around the series, it could be what could have been the 1994 World Series matchup. Yanks and Expos had the best records in their respective leagues on that fateful day.

I dunno about that. I still feel like the 94 World Series would've been the Expos and Tribe.

Either way...fast forward to the present, I have a feeling that Kendrick's grand slam against the Dodgers pretty much becomes the iconic moment for the Nats regardless if they win or lose the World Series this year.

39 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Either way...fast forward to the present, I have a feeling that Kendrick's grand slam against the Dodgers pretty much becomes the iconic moment for the Nats regardless if they win or lose the World Series this year.

It's interesting to look at the Nationals roster on baseball-reference, because the first thing you see is their record, and then you see the starting lineup they had for most of the regular season. And the first thing that comes to mind is, how do you think 93 wins out of that lineup, but more interestingly how does a lineup that on the surface appears to be little more than Rendon, Soto, and friends end up being second in the NL in OPS?

It's not until you scroll down to the bench that things start to make sense because sitting pretty with a .344 batting average to go with 17 homers is Howie Kendrick. Scroll down a little bit further, and you'll see Asdrubal Cabrera at .323

Now swap out Matt Adams and Brian Dozier for those two, and all of a sudden it doesn't look like Rendon, Soto, and the bat boy, because you took out the two of the three biggest weaknesses in the lineup, and turned them into strengths.

We know about the pitching, but this is the secret to Washington's success. At 35 years old, Howie Kendrick might be one of the 20-30 best position players going, and it came out of nowhere.

Juan Soto is the only player on the roster with any upside; everyone else is either going to stay the same or get worse. So this is it for the Nationals in their current incarnation. They may get back to the Series one day, but it won't be with this roster. But if you can match up Anthony Rendon with a .340 hitter, to go with a possible future-HOF left fielder in Jean Soto, a slam dunk HOF starter in Max Scherzer, and a doubtful but still has a chance potential HOFer in Stephen Strasburg, why can't they be the ones to win it all?

A very good team firing on all cylinders can and have beaten great teams, and I see the Nationals as a very good team that is peaking at just the right time. That's what got them past the Dodgers who are probably a better team than them, and its why they steamrolled the Cardinals.

I don't know if Washington is going to win the World Series, but I think they are going to put up a lot tougher fight than most people think. Their starting pitching can match Houston punch for punch, and if the ball isn't flying out of the park the same, its also advantage Nationals who are arguably the best running team in baseball.

15 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

At 35 years old, Howie Kendrick might be one of the 20-30 best position players going, and it came out of nowhere.

There was a stat the other day that since the start of the 2017 season, Howie Kendrick has the highest batting average in baseball (with minimum of I think 850 PAs). He came up as a guy who was "going to win batting titles", which he hasn't, but he's always been a solid hitter. I'm wholeheartedly admitting some bias here, as he's been my favorite player for a decade, but his performance this postseason hasn't been that much of a surprise. It's been awesome to see though.

18 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Congratulations to the team formally known as the Montreal Expos!

Capitals to the Nationals right now,

3dfmrl.jpg

I don't know if Drunk Max Scherzer will be as great as Drunk Alex Ovechkin, but it may not hurt to try.

From a fan perspective, Houston vs. Washington is the most intriguing matchup from a pitching perspective. Strasburg vs, Greinke, Scherzer vs. Cole.

While Washington vs. New York would be the most geographically friendly matchup; Astros vs. Nationals, I think is the better. Both on paper and IRL.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

12 hours ago, Shumway said:

There was a stat the other day that since the start of the 2017 season, Howie Kendrick has the highest batting average in baseball (with minimum of I think 850 PAs). He came up as a guy who was "going to win batting titles", which he hasn't, but he's always been a solid hitter. I'm wholeheartedly admitting some bias here, as he's been my favorite player for a decade, but his performance this postseason hasn't been that much of a surprise. It's been awesome to see though.

He’s been a good hitter, but he’s only been top top in doubles and hits once in his career. Those are his only top ten appearances in any major offensive category.

His 2.9 offensive bWAR is higher than his last three years combined. There was nothing to suggest coming into this year that Howie Kendrick was going to be anything more than a backup infielder.

Instead, he’s become arguably the second best hitter on the team after Anthony Rendon. He’s the biggest difference between where the Nats were in April, and where they are now.

Archived