TrueYankee26

2019 MLB Postseason thread

Recommended Posts

Predictions: (I know I was late today, and I would have got it right but eh)(and I'm getting a little bold here but I want it in writing in case it happens)

Athletics over Rays

 

Nationals over Dodgers in 5

Braves over Cardinals in 3

Astros over Athletics in 5

Yankees over Twins in 4

 

Nationals over Braves in 5 (MVP Max Scherzer)

Astros over Yankees in 5 (MVP George Springer)

 

Nationals win World Series over Astros in 7 games

MVP Juan Soto, Sports Illustrated Headline: BRYCE WHO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

So the Rays get to play a stupid one-game series to see who gets systematically demolished piece-by-piece against the Astros. Fun!

I will gladly have my team take yours’ spot in tonight’s game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the actual rule on that HBP that hit the guy on the bat knob and hand simultaneously?  Was it called correctly?

 

IMO if it hits your hands it shouldn't count as a HBP.  You have to be able to move your hands out of the way, or you're not even trying.  That being said, they shouldn't call a strike if your bat happens to cross the plate while obviously trying to avoid getting hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What's the actual rule on that HBP that hit the guy on the bat knob and hand simultaneously?  Was it called correctly?

 

IMO if it hits your hands it shouldn't count as a HBP.  You have to be able to move your hands out of the way, or you're not even trying.  That being said, they shouldn't call a strike if your bat happens to cross the plate while obviously trying to avoid getting hit.

 

If it hits the knob of the bat first then it's a foul ball. If it hits the batter (presumably on the hands) and the knob of the bat simultaneously then it's a HBP. In the case of the review, I honestly think that whichever way they had called it on the field would have been upheld.

 

That's the technical part of the rule. Personally, I also think that calling it a HBP honors the spirit of the rule as well, as the it was the pitcher's mistake that resulted in the batter getting hit, rather than a mistake on the part of the batter. Whether or not it is the hands (which you can move) or not is irrelevant. Especially when you consider these balls are coming at the player at 70 to 100 miles per hour depending on the pitch. It's one thing to be able to recognize the pitch to hit it (which is hard enough), it's an entirely different matter of asking a batter to move his hands from the precise location that the pitch it going when the hands are already in a forward motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays over A’s.... clearly not biased

 

Nationals win a playoff series in 5

Cardinals continue to use their magic dust in 4

Astros destroy my team in 4

Yankees continue the trend in 5.

 

 

Nationals continue to surprise in 5

Astros barely squeak through in 7.

 

 

Nationals win in 7 games, breaking their legacy of failure. Juan Soto is named MVP. In Philly, Bryce Harper is pissed off. He never hears the end of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same ol sorry ass A’s 😂

 

The A’s have lost something like their last 9 elimination games, which I think is a record.

 

If you pick the A’s in a scenario like this, you’re dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Same ol sorry ass A’s 😂

 

The A’s have lost something like their last 9 elimination games, which I think is a record.

 

If you pick the A’s in a scenario like this, you’re dumb. 

I mean, people said the same thing about the Nats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AustinFomBoston said:

I mean, people said the same thing about the Nats. 

 

What's different there is that the Nats have had a much smaller sample size than the A's. Besides, the A's have been doing this since the start of the "Moneyball" years. Of course, MLB may play a part in the A's issues (e.g., Verlander getting fairly wide strike zones in '12 and '13). 

 

Either way, MLB-influenced or not (probably not), the A's are historically inept in the post-'94 playoffs. That just speaks to issues in how the club is run at the top level, going beyond simply luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

What's different there is that the Nats have had a much smaller sample size than the A's. Besides, the A's have been doing this since the start of the "Moneyball" years. Of course, MLB may play a part in the A's issues (e.g., Verlander getting fairly wide strike zones in '12 and '13). 

 

Either way, MLB-influenced or not (probably not), the A's are historically inept in the post-'94 playoffs. That just speaks to issues in how the club is run at the top level, going beyond simply luck.

That  depends on if you count their Expos years as well. 

In that case, they're pretty on par with the A's when in comes to Postseason ineptitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AustinFomBoston said:

That  depends on if you count their Expos years as well. 

 

The Expos only made the playoffs once, in '81, where they won a deciding game. The A's have made the playoffs a bunch since 2001, yet have only won a single series (2006 ALDS against the similarly-troubled Twins - even they have the "Yankees have our number" excuse).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah like I said earlier, the A’s hate historic in their playoff misery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said earlier and for eternity before that. 

 

Same ol sorry ass A’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I never listen to my gut (unless it's food). 😑

Also I just thought a West Coast World Series would be cool. Hasn't happened in a long time. 

 

Long as the Yankees choke it up real good, I'm content with any outcome. 

Rays winning it would be hilarious, just to see if that does anything for their attendance woes. Especially with all that talk of wanting to split therm with Montreal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd love for the Twins to go all the way, if only to prove that an AL Central team that isn't the 2005 White Sox or 2015 Royals can win the World Series.

Edited by SFGiants58
Forgot the Royals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd love for the Twins to go all the way, if only to prove that an AL Central team that isn't the 2005 White Sox can win the World Series.

The Royals won in 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

The Royals won in 2015.

 

Ah yes, how could I forget?

 

Either way, that's nine straight winner-take-all game losses. Meanwhile, the Rays are 3-1 in these games! I wouldn't mind seeing the Rays go to the World Series, if only to force a more concrete stadium discussion after the silly blackmail attempt. Either that or it'll really demonstrate how putting a team in Tampa Bay was an awful idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yandy Diaz home runs as a Cleveland Indian: 1.

Yandy Diaz homers in 1 postseason game: 2.

The Díaz for Jake Bauers part of the Carlos Santana trade is a wonderful example of the Indians ownership’s cheapness playing them out of a contention window. Dealt a dude who’d be a sure-fire starter for a project who’s not very good and just about blocked from playing time to save $5 million. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.