Fight Straps on Hockey Jerseys

Hi, group. Here's something that I could use help on: Authentic hockey jerseys have fight straps, which is strap or piece of fabric sewn into the back of a player or goaltender's jersey to prevent it from being pulled over his head by an opponent during a fight. The fight strap, which attaches to the back of the pants, also prevents a player's jersey from being taken off and leaving him to fight with almost no equipment.

While it is of use to the players, it isn't as of much use to a fan wearing an authentic jersey. This may seem like a silly Q, so please refrain from posting rude comments, but should I remove the strap if I ever get my hands on such a jersey (NOT for team-issued/game-worn jerseys, if I EVER get those, those stay for collector's reasons; this only applies to authentic jerseys sold for the retail market)? I'd love to hear your answers. :)

UBwef0L.png

7 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I keep 'em on so I can attach the fight strap to my belt, because you never know when you're going to drop the gloves.

The girlfriend and I have a running joke where if an opposing team's fan is getting really obnoxious, I'll ask her to attach the strap to my belt.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the reason they started requiring fight straps was because when a fighter loses his equipment during a fight he has an advantage because the other guy has nothing to grab onto. Many fighters would purposely slip out of their jerseys for this advantage. In the 90s it got ridiculous to the point where they required straps. 

There's no reason to take it off. You can't really feel it when you wear the jersey unless you're not wearing a shirt under the jersey and I don't know anyone who does that. 

And for goofs you can strap it to your own belt and 100 times out of 100 you'll forget you did this so when you go to take the jersey off you won't be able to and you'll give yourself a laugh. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived