2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

buzzcut

The most fundamental concept of baseball is that you have nine players on each team, and each of those nine players play both offense and defense. The DH, however, (1) allows one defensive player to not bat, and (2) allows one player to be in the lineup without playing defense. I oppose the DH for that reason exactly. Don't care so much about the "strategy" or preservation of double-switches. I care about the fact that I enjoy the game of baseball, and the DH is a fundamental change to how it is played. I'm not going to go as far to say it's "not baseball," because that's semantics of how you qualify what is and isn't a particular sport. But I will say it's a different kind of baseball that I find much less enjoyable and that I'd like to keep as far away from the NL as possible. 

35 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm saying that it's a plausible scenario to happen to some players who could be suspected of being defensively deficient for one reason or another.

Your average starting DH is 32. The next oldest position is first base at 29. The youngest starting position is shortstop at 27.

Not only is DH the most veteran-skewed position, it's not even close. This is why nobody views DH as a fallback option for a younger player, and why the scenario you describe isn't brought up when discussing prospects. If somebody can't hit, odds are they won't be playing anywhere.

In general defensive value is shrinking because so much of the game is now decided by strikeouts, walks, and home runs. You can get away with a sub-par defensive player more now than you could even 25 years ago.

4 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

Your average starting DH is 32. The next oldest position is first base at 29. The youngest starting position is shortstop at 27.

Not only is DH the most veteran-skewed position, it's not even close. This is why nobody views DH as a fallback option for a younger player, and why the scenario you describe isn't brought up when discussing prospects. If somebody can't hit, odds are they won't be playing anywhere.

In general defensive value is shrinking because so much of the game is now decided by strikeouts, walks, and home runs. You can get away with a sub-par defensive player more now than you could even 25 years ago.

Interesting points...I guess that means if I am going to say "the two leagues should have the same rules" I'm going to have to come up with a different problem with the fact that they don't.

The best I have now is roster preparedness for the world series and interleague (e.g., an everyday DH for the AL and maybe pitchers more equipped for the NL).

So, I'm of the Earl Weaver school of thought on a lot of things and also the DH. DH should be used for a rookie that has hit his way up, but 1. isnt ready for full time duty or 2. position is blocked because you just cant takeout that other player defensively and it allows the younger player to get ABs

Also a fan that the starting DH should be a starting pitcher and immediately pinch hit, but they closed that loophole before i was even born.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This is what I mean. An AL team can afford to take on a project with a guy who only has the good bat. NL teams don't have that same option. One of the many reasons I think the rules need to be standardized. 

Well, that and the whole "forcing a team to play with different rules to win a title" thing.

Dusty's resume reads more of experience than it does success. I would think of this hire as no big deal since the Astros are already talented and capable of making it back to the World Series. But the 2010 and 2012 Reds were among the best in the league those years and he was still met with early playoff exits.

13 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Red Sox going basically going to have to choose between keeping Mookie or getting under the cap. 

Lou Merloni is leaking stuff now? What a scab.

Would not at all be surprised if someone gives Betts $400 mil next year.

Eventually this bubble has to burst right? Paying guys almost a half billion for 12 years is ridiculous. I’m not creating a contract for that long, he’ll I wouldn’t for half that. I would have thought teams would have cut back after last year with Harper and Machado not meeting expectations, and they are stuck with them for another 7+ years or eatting hundreds of millions of dollars. 

50 minutes ago, dont care said:

Eventually this bubble has to burst right? Paying guys almost a half billion for 12 years is ridiculous. I’m not creating a contract for that long, he’ll I wouldn’t for half that. I would have thought teams would have cut back after last year with Harper and Machado not meeting expectations, and they are stuck with them for another 7+ years or eatting hundreds of millions of dollars. 

You're not totally wrong, but if you don't do those deals, someone else will, and at least in the short term they'll have the better players.

I'd argue that Harper did meet expectations last year, even if it wasn't a great start.  I don't think anyone here is upset with him.  He brought more than just numbers to the team, and considering teh way Gabe Kapler handled the lineup, the injuries around him, and Rhys Hoskins falling off the face of the earth, he was the only player worth watching through the second half of the season.  

Also keep in mind that Harper's deal averages 25M - far less than these other guys are asking, and really far less than what even above-average guys will likely be earning towards the end of the deal.

14 hours ago, DiePerske said:

So, I'm of the Earl Weaver school of thought on a lot of things and also the DH. DH should be used for a rookie that has hit his way up, but 1. isnt ready for full time duty or 2. position is blocked because you just cant takeout that other player defensively and it allows the younger player to get ABs

Good point!  A 21-year-old Eddie Murray played most of his games at DH in his Rookie-of-the-Year season of 1977.

14 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Also a fan that the starting DH should be a starting pitcher and immediately pinch hit, but they closed that loophole before i was even born.

Right again!  There's no justification in limiting how a manager can alter his lineup.

The change I would like to see in the DH rule is to have the DH treated like any other position for the purposes of the lineup.  A player should be able to move to the DH spot from another position during the game; and a manager should be able to swap his DH and, let's say, his first baseman, in the same way that he can swap his left fielder and right fielder.  This would mean that a player who is usually used as a late-inning defensive replacement would be able to start the game at DH and then assume his late-inning defensive role without the team losing the DH spot; he would just be swapping with the player who started at the defensive position.  Indeed, there should be no way for a team to lose the DH spot, just as it cannot lose the shortstop position. 

The only difference between the DH and any other position should be that the pitcher himself would be able to serve as the DH.  Then another player could bat for the DH and take over as DH, while the pitcher remains in the game.  

The upshot of this in the case of Ohtani is that he'd be able to start a game on the mound while another player serves as the DH, and then move to DH after he is relieved.  Or he'd be able to start on the mound and bat in the lineup, thereby serving as the DH, and then stay in the game as the DH once he is replaced on the mound. Or he'd be able to start at DH and then move to the mound, while either staying as DH or being replaced at DH by another player.

If the DH essentially represents the pitcher in the batting order, shouldn't the DH have to be replaced by another hitter every time there's a pitching change?  So every pitcher would be 'married' to a hitter.  That would add a ton of strategy, like if a pitcher is struggling and in a key situation, but their powerhouse DH is due up first the next inning, does the manager replace the pitcher (and then have to replace the star DH as well) or hope he gets out of it so that he can get one more at-bat from the DH? 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:06 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just happy Larry Walker is finally in! Now he’s first Rockie in Cooperstown.

That only leaves the Florida two without their cap logo in the hall, further proof that those teams were mistakes.

So the Rockies - which came into the league the same year as the Marlins - just got their first player in the Hall, so now that's suddenly additional proof that Florida baseball was a mistake?