buzzcut

2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Newly acquired Nationals pitcher Ryne Harper had the perfect opportunity to wear 34, but is ultimately choosing not to, saying “That’s not me. It would be pretty funny though”

If I were Steve Henderson, I would be selling every game-worn #24 Oakland A's jersey I owned.

Image result for Steve Henderson Oakland A's"

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Newly acquired Nationals pitcher Ryne Harper had the perfect opportunity to wear 34, but is ultimately choosing not to, saying “That’s not me. It would be pretty funny though”

Will Clark didn't look at it that way when he joined the Giants.

jack-clark-will-clark.png

58 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

If I were Steve Henderson, I would be selling every game-worn #24 Oakland A's jersey I owned.

Image result for Steve Henderson Oakland A's"

Recently I saw a guy wearing a replica Yankee jersey that had "JOHNSON 41" on the back.  And I thought "Wow, this guy sure is a big fan of Cliff Johnson."

cliff-johnson-slide.jpg

9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

He could have made some of those expensive jerseys (and cheap knockoffs) relevant again.  That would be looking out for the fans!

Imagine having Mookie Betts in your system his whole career and thinking “yeah we gotta trade this guy”.

Hearing a deal to send Mookie Betts to the Dodgers is official. A third time might be involved. Not sure where Price is headed.

Thanks for the memories, Mook Man.

Good God.

I really hope the rest of the league finds some trash cans to bang on when they play the Dodgers this year. 

I will say this, though. Verdugo is going to absolutely SLAY IT at Fenway. That’s gonna the dude the rest of us are all annoyed about when the Sox win another title.

Was hoping it would be the Padres. 
Either way, losing a player like Mookie really :censored:ing hurts

Hope it was at least for something good. 

How’s Verdugo? He’s the only name I’ve heard so far. 

I’m definitely interested in a little more on Verdugo if our Dodger friends here would kindly give a little background. Please and thank you!

I don't give a single care about Verdugo. I'm sure he's a fine player but he's not worth trading Mookie Betts for.

What a disaster of an offseason for Boston.

He sort of reminds me of Manny. He’s going to fit in Boston VERY well. 

15 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

How’s Verdugo? He’s the only name I’ve heard so far. 

Very well-rounded player who could be an all-star this year.

Unlike a lot of lefty bats, he doesn’t shut down against left-handed pitchers. He’s a career .306 hitter against lefties in 124 AB’s. It’s a small sample size, but I’m encouraged enough to say he will be an everyday player going forward.

There isn’t a weakness to be found in his game, which is good because Boston just gave up arguably the best outfielder in the game not named Mike Trout to get him.

I mean this is all a bit like your house burning down but your insurance getting you a nice room at the Four Seasons to stay at in the mean time.

Phillies are retiring Roy Halladay’s #34, even though 5(5!) players have worn it since he retired.

The only other numbers they’ve retired are Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Robin Roberts, Richie Ashburn, and Jim Bunning. All HOFers with Ps on their caps. that’s not a lot for a team that’s been around since 1883. 

their “policy” is that you have to be a HOFer as a Phillie. I think Bryce Harper I officially retired it by declining to wear it, and then the whole blank cap thing and some comments his wife said about how he felt about the Phillies sealed it. 

Obviously no one in Boston is happy about the Betts trade. But I'll give Bloom credit, it's one of those difficult decisions that had to be made. 

Short term loss for a long term gain. 

Temper your power expectations regarding Verdugo.  He's much more of a line drive hitter.

Also, hopefully he's matured a bit because Rich Hill exploded at him a few times for doing stupid juvenile crap.

49 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Obviously no one in Boston is happy about the Betts trade. But I'll give Bloom credit, it's one of those difficult decisions that had to be made. 

Sorry but this is total BS.

The Red Sox didn't have to trade Mookie. They decided they didn't want to pay the tax this year, and apparently that they wouldn't pay him market value for his next contract. Those are decisions made by the team, not for them.

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

Temper your power expectations regarding Verdugo.  He's much more of a line drive hitter.

Also, hopefully he's matured a bit because Rich Hill exploded at him a few times for doing stupid juvenile crap.

A locker-room headache with a bad back is exactly the kind of player who does get a big contract from the Red Sox, on the other hand.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, AustinFomBoston said:

Bloom gets absolutely no credit. Not only did they trade the 2nd bast player in baseball, but they couldn't even get the Dodgers to part with either of their top prospects. Then Bloom and the scouting department fudge up so bad they incorrectly scout another player in the deal. If you want to trade Mookie Betts, your deal has to rely on maximizing your return - by the looks of things they weren't even sure who Graterol even is. 

Now you're stuck if this deal doesn't go through. You have a newly unhappy player who by all indications would've loved to stay in Boston if you paid him market value, and you have an entire league that knows you have absolutely zero leverage because you have to move Betts now.

There is no credit to go around. The Red Sox F.O. looks like a group of idiots.

Whelp, the Rockies have alienated their biggest star since Tulo! This club really needs better owners or a better GM.