2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

buzzcut

On 2/5/2020 at 1:39 PM, AustinFomBoston said:

Obviously no one in Boston is happy about the Betts trade. But I'll give Bloom credit, it's one of those difficult decisions that had to be made. 

Short term loss for a long term gain. 

What is the gain aside from in the pocketbook of Boston's ownership?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, rams80 said:

What is the gain aside from in the pocketbook of Boston's ownership?

You'd be hard pressed to find one.

Maybe not paying Mookie Betts $33,000,000 at age 39? I don't know. I don't love that idea, but that's a better idea than not having Mookie Betts from ages 27-34,

There's a loud contingent of Chads and Sullys on social media who will tell you that the gain is that the Red Sox got something in return, because Betts was going to go elsewhere in free agency next year. (There has, of course, never ever been any evidence to suggest Betts intended to leave.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Betts has said on numerous occasions that he wanted to test the free agent market. 

If he was serious about staying, he would have signed one of the offers they made him. He knows they aren't going to make him a better way after the season. 

For the Red Sox it was between keeping Betts & crippling themselves paying 50% on the luxury tax for the next how many years, Getting something for him now & avoiding the luxury tax so it resets, or letting him walk for nothing. 

At least this way they can free up some cap and get someone else down the line when they need it. 

I still think they should have gotten a lot more for him, but if they were so desperate to get under the tax for 1 year, there weren't many options. 

Come to think of it, I wonder if JD opting in played a role at all.

Regardless, so is the price for a  Dombrowski team. 

*sigh*

"Testing the free agent market" does not mean that he was going to leave. It means he would take offers from the open market and test his worth, and if the Red Sox made a high offer (i.e. his actual market value), great, good chance he'll come back and play out his entire career in Boston. The team is right to see if he'll take a hometown discount, Betts is right to say he'd rather not. All that means is that the Sox would have to pay out more to keep him. They're a top-three revenue club, they could afford it if they wanted to.

It's insulting to a player to say they weren't serious about staying because he didn't take any of Boston's lowball offers in recent offseasons. Particularly a player, in his prime, legitimately on a Hall of Fame track. Of course he's going to fetch a $375 million deal or even $400 million!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Twins: we’ll offer a square peg to get into this deal.

Red Sox: that’ll fit into our round hole nicely!

Twins: Uh, it’s definitely a square peg.

Red Sox: Deal!

Twins: Here’s the specs that clearly show that it’s a square peg.

Red Sox: WHAT THE HELL?! THIS IS A SQUARE PEG! WE THOUGHT WE WE WERE GETTING A ROUND ONE! WE DIDN’T AGREE TO THIS!

Rest of baseball: Uh, yeah, you did.

VmWIn6B.png

Mookie Betts: yeah, you can kiss any chance of a hometown discount goodbye.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If it's a guy you developed in your system and not someone you signed as a FA, you should be able to resign the player and have his salary exempt from the luxury tax.  Maybe limit it to if you can resign him before he's a FA.  It stinks for teams that have $ to lose players that they developed, and they should be rewarded for drafting and developing well.

Are any teams over the tax line?  I know the Phillies made a big deal about staying under it unless they're a legit contender by the trade deadline, and they have the resources to do almost anything they want.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If it's a guy you developed in your system and not someone you signed as a FA, you should be able to resign the player and have his salary exempt from the luxury tax.  Maybe limit it to if you can resign him before he's a FA.  It stinks for teams that have $ to lose players that they developed, and they should be rewarded for drafting and developing well.

American sports leagues ought to switch away from drafts and instead focus on academy and player development systems.

Our current systems allow the NCAA to exploit young player labor for free, while they could instead be trained in a professional environment from a much younger age.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

American sports leagues ought to switch away from drafts and instead focus on academy and player development systems.

Our current systems allow the NCAA to exploit young player labor for free, while they could instead be trained in a professional environment from a much younger age.

My sports dream is for all leagues to eliminate the draft and salary cap. 

2 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Jesus Rob Manfred, could you even TRY to ruin Baseball any more?

If this happens, it would be obvious that the Yankees will pick my Twins every year and sweep us over and over...

Knowing how goober athletes and coaches are, they would never allow us to enjoy this; they'd just play it safe every time and pick the team with the worst record, giving us the same matchup we'd normally get. We'll never get the "we picked the Twins because they SUCK and we know we can beat them" pro wrestling angle that we all want. It'll just be "all teams are great and we respect them a lot but we played well against the Twins and we feel like we match up well against them blah blah blah"

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

How does that work?  At what point do teams 'own' the rights to players?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

No one's forcing them to play college ball. In football and basketball, it happens to be the better option because the NFL and NBA (at this point with the state of the G-League at least) don't have an option better than college. In MLB and somewhat NHL, the minor leagues provide an alternative should they choose to not play ocllege ball. A player in baseball can choose to go in the draft or go to college. Don't see how they're being exploited. Some basketball players have chosen to play overseas. It's on the leagues themselves to create the alternative or for an alternative league to make itself more appealing to the players. And college players don't play for "free". They get a free education that any other student would be happy to accept. If it's not what they're looking for, fine. They can choose another alternative that's out there. (I do fully agree with the new rule that allows the players to make money off of their own image. Independent endorsements are essentially a job and I don't believe players should be prevented from independently making money) Do academy players get paid? I don't know how that works. Is it similar to the cost of college that players IN college get? (I'm seriously asking cuz I truly do not know how that works).

38 minutes ago, The Six said:

My sports dream is for all leagues to eliminate the draft and salary cap. 

Knowing how goober athletes and coaches are, they would never allow us to enjoy this; they'd just play it safe every time and pick the team with the worst record, giving us the same matchup we'd normally get. We'll never get the "we picked the Twins because they SUCK and we know we can beat them" pro wrestling angle that we all want. It'll just be "all teams are great and we respect them a lot but we played well against the Twins and we feel like we match up well against them blah blah blah"

As Bill Ripken pointed out on MLB Tonight, if a team used their best pitcher(s) or overused their bullpen on the final weekend, even if they're a higher seed, they may be a more appealing pick.

Archived