2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Jesus Rob Manfred, could you even TRY to ruin Baseball any more?

If this happens, it would be obvious that the Yankees will pick my Twins every year and sweep us over and over...

What in the ever living :censored: is this horse :censored:!?! More than half the league makes the playoffs? Reality TV bull :censored:? Gutting MiLB...

Never thought I’d miss Bud Selig.

4 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

What in the ever living :censored: is this horse :censored:!?! More than half the league makes the playoffs? Reality TV bull :censored:? Gutting MiLB...

Never thought I’d miss Bud Selig.

I don't know who I'd never thought I'd miss more after a successor completely :censored:ed up something I love: Bud Selig or George Lucas?

10 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I don't know who I'd never thought I'd miss more after a successor completely :censored:ed up something I love: Bud Selig or George Lucas?

Man that’s a tough one. I’d still go Selig. MLB can’t come back from the bullcrap Manfred is doing. Retconning the Star Wars sequel trilogy would take all of thirty seconds and a call to Mark Hamill who I’m sure would gladly have another go at being Luke Skywalker rather than that failure Jake Skywalker he was forced to play in Episodes VIII and IX.

Meh, I’m not sure it’s happening, given the backlash. Let it play out and we’ll see if it’s on the table after more CBA shenanigans.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

Man that’s a tough one. I’d still go Selig. MLB can’t come back from the bullcrap Manfred is doing. Retconning the Star Wars sequel trilogy would take all of thirty seconds and a call to Mark Hamill who I’m sure would gladly have another go at being Luke Skywalker rather than that failure Jake Skywalker he was forced to play in Episodes VIII and IX.

VIII is the best movie in the series since V. I absolutely loved Luke’s arc.

They might very well rethink the reality TV element of this plan, but I can totally imagine them trying to add at least one more playoff/wild card team per league somehow. Manfred would never resist the extra revenue even if against the best interests of the game.

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, more playoff spots is in the best interest of the game, especially for markets like Seattle and (maybe) Toronto/Tampa Bay.

So they can limp into a playoff they have no business being in?

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Meh, I’m not sure it’s happening, given the backlash. Let it play out and we’ll see if it’s on the table after more CBA shenanigans.

VIII is the best movie in the series since V. I absolutely loved Luke’s arc.

Counterpoint VIII was the worst movie since II and was a complete disgrace that ruined Luke, wasted the last use of Carrie Fisher and ruined the sequel trilogy.

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If it's a guy you developed in your system and not someone you signed as a FA, you should be able to resign the player and have his salary exempt from the luxury tax.  Maybe limit it to if you can resign him before he's a FA.  It stinks for teams that have $ to lose players that they developed, and they should be rewarded for drafting and developing well.

Are any teams over the tax line?  I know the Phillies made a big deal about staying under it unless they're a legit contender by the trade deadline, and they have the resources to do almost anything they want.

It's a luxury tax, not a hard cap.  You can pay to keep the player, you just might take a little less to your own bank account.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's bad enough the postseason extends into November are they trying to end the season near Thanksgiving now?  I'm sure players would love playing in Minnesota, New York, Boston or Chicago in mid to late November.

I'm absolutely not opposed to more teams in the postseason; I'm opposed to this nonsensical, overly-complicated gimmick of a proposal that will do nothing but confuse fans right out of the sport. We've already got players blasting the idea, with Trevor Bauer straight-up calling Manfred a joke in the process.

When it comes to MLB's postseason I'm very much an all-or-nothing guy: Either open it up to a 16-team, 16-win tournament like the NHL & NBA do, or close it off entirely to only each league's top teams; none of this half-and-half garbage.

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

So they can limp into a playoff they have no business being in?

Hey, we just saw a Wild Card win a title. Anything can happen!

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Counterpoint VIII was the worst movie since II and was a complete disgrace that ruined Luke, wasted the last use of Carrie Fisher and ruined the sequel trilogy.

Hardly. It was what the ST should have been! It should have challenged viewers, don’t reheat nostalgia like JJ did. Sometimes heroes don’t get their happily ever after, sometimes they screw up, and sometimes they get their redemption.

Disliking TLJ is a red flag to me.

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

It's a luxury tax, not a hard cap.  You can pay to keep the player, you just might take a little less to your own bank account.

it still heavily discourages teams from keeping guys because nobody wants to go over. There’s no argument that it doesn’t have a significant influence on teams’ spending, and is in effect a cap. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Overhaul the post-season to own the purists!

Well, my thought that byes would be bad would be tested.  I would probably be cheering for the 78-win team to win it all, out of spite.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

it still heavily discourages teams from keeping guys because nobody wants to go over. There’s no argument that it doesn’t have a significant influence on teams’ spending, and is in effect a cap. 

I think it's only the Yankees and Dodgers that have consistently gone over the tax; every other team has dipped back under to avoid repeater taxes and such, as we are currently seeing with Boston's face-spite. I don't know if that points to the tax's success or not. It's still going to be the biggest of big market teams that are your top spenders, and in this case neither has done very well in terms of actually winning championships this millennium (for now).

Some type of system a la the NBA's Bird rights would seem like a decent idea. Currently we've got owners banking on star players taking on a hometown discount, which seems unfair and ever less likely to work if brinksmanship between labor and ownership continues to get worse.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, we just saw a Wild Card win a title. Anything can happen!

Hardly. It was what the ST should have been! It should have challenged viewers, don’t reheat nostalgia like JJ did. Sometimes heroes don’t get their happily ever after, sometimes they screw up, and sometimes they get their redemption.

Disliking TLJ is a red flag to me.

A WC winning the title is not an endorsement of why it should be expanded. if anything it goes to the point that it has already devalued winning the regular season. This proposal just expands that even further. I mean I’m a fan of a team they’re trying to entice with this and frankly if my :censored: team can’t make the playoffs now with how easy it is to make the post season, I don’t want them there winning some half assed watered down World Series. 

Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing the playoffs go the other way and reduce the number of teams to 6. But barring that the only change that makes senses is expanding the current WC round to a best of 3 to make it that much harder for the WC teams in the divisional round. 

Also Luke already got his happy ending... they didn’t need to :censored: on it just because everyone is a miserable pos these days. 

Archived