2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way an expansion of the MLB postseason makes sense is if it is preceded by or accompanied with a two team expansion. Otherwise, watering down the postseason just makes it longer and worse. Every other major sports league basically lets half (or more than half) of its teams make it into the playoffs, and it's terrible. 

Also can't believe somebody would suggest letting teams pick which teams they want to play in the postseason.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

30 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

A WC winning the title is not an endorsement of why it should be expanded. if anything it goes to the point that it has already devalued winning the regular season. This proposal just expands that even further. I mean I’m a fan of a team they’re trying to entice with this and frankly if my :censored: team can’t make the playoffs now with how easy it is to make the post season, I don’t want them there winning some half assed watered down World Series. 

The NHL isn’t “watered down,” and their a 16-team playoff. Only miserable curmudgeons complain about “devaluing the regular season.” The playoffs, provided they’re still time-condensed, could use giving teams a bit more hope.

Also Luke already got his happy ending... they didn’t need to :censored: on it just because everyone is a miserable pos these days. 

Well, he got another happy ending! It’s not because people are a “miserable pos,” it’s because it’s a logical direction to take the story and was executed pretty damn well if you ask me.

People who use terms like “Jake Skywalker” or “Ruin Johnson” might as well be saying “SJW” or “cuck” unironically.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The NHL isn’t “watered down,” and their a 16-team playoff. Only miserable curmudgeons complain about “devaluing the regular season.” The playoffs, provided they’re still time-condensed, could use giving teams a bit more hope.

Well, he got another happy ending! It’s not because people are a “miserable pos,” it’s because it’s a logical direction to take the story and was executed pretty damn well if you ask me.

People who use terms like “Jake Skywalker” or “Ruin Johnson” might as well be saying “SJW” or “cuck” unironically.

Then you’re lumping Mark Hamill in there. He originated the term Jake Skywalker as even he didn’t see it as the same character. And if you call having his best friend murdered, him giving up on life, and failing to pass on what he learned a happy ending I wouldn’t want to see an unhappy one.

As for the NHL, their playoffs are an interminable joke with how many teams make it. But at least they’ve committed to playing full seven game series.

30 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Then you’re lumping Mark Hamill in there. He originated the term Jake Skywalker as even he didn’t see it as the same character.

He came around to it like a mature person, which detractors like you can’t seem to grasp.

Then again, you didn’t comprehend Tony Gwynn changing his mind on brown for the Padres, so I think it’s on you.

And if you call having his best friend murdered, him giving up on life, and failing to pass on what he learned a happy ending I wouldn’t want to see an unhappy one.

He inspired the galaxy to fight back in the end, as he crawled out of his depression and his problems. That’s a happy ending.

As for the NHL, their playoffs are an interminable joke with how many teams make it. But at least they’ve committed to playing full seven game series.

Joke? Ha! They are the best playoffs in sports!  

There’s threads for tv/movie talk. Don’t want to inadvertently spoil something for anyone that’s intentionally avoiding the places where spoilers are expected. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Gotta disagree there. NHL playoffs are pretty great. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

40 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Any playoff where a sub 500 team would regularly make it as would happen under this proposal is a joke.

The NL or AL having seven teams sub-.500 doesn’t happen regularly.

3 times from 2009-19 (extent of my research)...3 times/22 chances is not regular. AL had a bunch of years with 8 or more teams above .500.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

35 minutes ago, _J_ said:

While im watching and caring for life and would never do it, I'm becoming more sympathetic to @Ferdinand Cesarano's "retirement" from watching baseball the more that this commish keeps changing things.

What actual specific changes has he made that you disagree with?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The NL or AL having seven teams sub-.500 doesn’t happen regularly.

3 times from 2009-19 (extent of my research)...3 times/22 chances is not regular. AL had a bunch of years with 8 or more teams above .500.

Though if the move is successful in one of its key purposes, eliminating tanking, will we see fewer above .500 teams?  Fewer 100-loss teams will mean fewer wins to distribute to middle-of-the-pack teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If you went to a 16 team playoff it would change incentives and you'd have fewer tankers so you'd have more teams above 500, but you do occasionally get sub 500 playoff teams sneaking in in the NBA and NHL.

I just hate the idea of making the baseball playoffs even less exclusive. That's what the 162 game regular season is for. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The reality show idea is beyond stupid. Particularly teams choosing their opponent. 

Also, first round byes for the best team is off. This isn't football where a first-round bye is usually an award for a good record so players can recover a bit. Baseball tends to have one off day a month for teams and even teams coming off the All-Star break can have a slow start getting back into things.

As for expanding the playoffs, the reason baseball playoffs are the most entertaining stems from the relative exclusivity to other leagues. Expansion kills that.

A lot of the appeal of baseball is that the game hasn't changed a lot in its basic form in years. Sure, you have closers, defensive shifts and designated hitters becoming a core part of strategy that wasn't there 50 years ago, but aside from that, the basics haven't changed much and the audience reflects that. No, the best way to get kids into baseball is to market to parents that having their kid play baseball is a good alternative to football risking turning their son's brain into scrambled eggs. Manfred should aggressively market Little League and baseball targeted to 13-18 year olds plus subsidizing it either mostly or entirely so more parents can afford to let their kids play.

My biggest problem with baseball is the interminably long regular season. Good Lord, who can actually pretend to care about 160-whatever games? Once the first college football game happens, I completely check out on baseball until the playoffs start. They want to expand the post season? Okay, whatever, just lop off the last useless three weeks of the regular season. Start the playoff at the beginning of September so I don't have to watch a world series game that ends at 1:00 am and is played in 20 degree weather.

When there’s 162 games, and by game 80 it’s clear that your team isn’t making the post season, it kinda sucks to watch. With more teams in, your team prob has meaningful games long into September, so that’s a benefit to millions of fans. 

on the other hand, I hate watering down the playoffs and turning it into essentially just a tournament, like the NHL is, where lower seeds routinely win or make the finals. You have less chance of the best teams in the WS, and that’s what I have issue with. 

I’ve never cared about the “best teams” crap. That’s how you get such significant inequality in the amounts of titles. Playoffs fix that! It’s good to spread the titles around.

Ultimately, it’s entertainment. I’m channeling my @DG_ThenNowForever, but I think entertainment is a higher goal than “honoring the best team.”

Archived