2019-2020 MLB Offseason Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tp49 said:

Do they actually think that anyone visiting Orlando for the theme parks will have any money left to go to a baseball game?  By the time you're done paying for tickets and food, etc, you're darn near close to having spent a mortgage payment especially if you combine it with a second or third park.  (Says the guy who paid $200/person to go to Disney World for a day next week.)

49 minutes ago, waltere said:

Yeah Orlando may get a lot of visiting tourists but I'd imagine few of them are going to Orlando, they're just going there because its where all the theme parks are

To their credit, it is not just the family truckster leading up the kids for a Spring Break or Summer vacation. It is the international tourist as Orlando International (MCO) is the state's busiest airport (#11 in the US) and a "true American experience" could include a MLB game.  Included in those 75M visitors includes nearly 2M conventioneers too and their budgets are not like a families. My sister in law is a Banquet Manager at one of the two larger Marriott properties there so she deals with the conventioneers daily with her team and those are just the ones which remain on property and not to the Orlando Convention Center.

Personally, I agree with this writer in that it's stupid and local media love to cover these stories, but they have some data to make their case but need public support in terms of deposits and of course, a stadium. 

16 minutes ago, Wings said:

Relocating the Rays there would be the only option. They could give it a try but I can't see Orlando building a stadium for Stu. 

Ain't about city money since most Florida cities have small city limits, with JAX as the outlier.  It is about county money and Orange County spends freely on sports venues to the degree that they just approved to spend an additional $60M for the recently rebuilt Camping World Stadium to try to get 2026 World Cup games.

They totally don't mind raising the Bed Tax another 1% cause kids need to see Mickey and parents ain't staying in Lakeland!.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Ain't about city money since most Florida cities have small city limits, with JAX as the outlier.  It is about county money and Orange County spends freely on sports venues to the degree that they just approved to spend an additional $60M for the recently rebuilt Camping World Stadium. 

They don't mind raising the Bed Tax another 1% cause kids need to see Mickey and parents ain't staying in Lakeland!.

Orlando Rays could happen then if, like you said, the support is there and the county builds a stadium. The A's should seriously abandon their nonsensical port stadium project and just build at the Coliseum site since the lawsuit was dropped. Save Portland, Montreal or Carolina for the giant expansion fees if MLB really does want to expand. 

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

And because of course, those impacted by that tax with some exceptions, can't vote in Orange County elections.

And your a$$ neither spent more than an hour in nor a night in Lakeland or Polk County FL?

You'd pay the additional bed tax not to be in Polk and drive over in the morning, homie.

I don't know if you are Sacramento native, but with your Location, think of Lakeland:Orlando::Pittsburg/Antioch:San Francisco*

*-SAT got rid of the analogy sequence in 2005, but I love use it to illustrate it

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

And your a$$ neither spent more than an hour in nor a night in Lakeland or Polk County FL?

You'd pay the additional bed tax not to be in Polk and drive over in the morning, homie.

I don't know if you are Sacramento native, but with your Location, think of Lakeland:Orlando::Pittsburg/Antioch:San Francisco*

*-SAT got rid of the analogy sequence in 2005, but I love use it to illustrate it

Actually, my a$$ has spent too many nights in Lakeland in my lifetime.  I had family who lived there until they wised up and moved to Brevard County.  Though no place I've ever been in Florida beats Arcadia 😂

All I was pointing out was that municipal governments like to raise the bed/room/rental car tax because those impacted by them generally can't vote there. 😎

4 hours ago, tp49 said:

Actually, my a$$ has spent too many nights in Lakeland in my lifetime.  I had family who lived there until they wised up and moved to Brevard County.  Though no place I've ever been in Florida beats Arcadia 😂

All I was pointing out was that municipal governments like to raise the bed/room/rental car tax because those impacted by them generally can't vote there. 😎

And I'm one of the three biggest diatractors of public funds for such facilities but take a lesson from our man K Solo...

Ain't yo business

A baseball team in Orlando would have to cater to locals to have any success.  Downtown would be about as far south as a stadium should be built, as most locals avoid the touristy districts unless making a trek to the parks.  Its a strong reason why the Orlando Rays AA team moved from Disney to Montgomery Alabama.

I feel like the only way for Orlando to get baseball is if the Rays end up relocating there because Tampa and St Pete formally fell thru.  In this case, that wouldnt be until 2028 at the earliest.

I think Orlando is probably a better market than Tampa simply because of where it is on the map.

You can attract residents from both sides of Florida's coast, which Tampa Bay can't do, and that's on top of being in a market with 2.5 million people in it that also happens to be the fastest-growing top 25 metro area in the US.

Of any city in Florida, Orlando casts the widest net in terms of potential fan base size. A Rays fan in living in Lakeland won't care if the team plays in Orlando or St. Pete because either way its an hour drive for them.

Another thing Orlando gives you is land. One of the biggest issues with the Rays in Tampa Bay is finding a potential location for a new stadium. You can throw a dart on the Orlando metro map and almost anywhere you land could work for a potential ballpark. You're also attracting fans from all four directions, which means you can go anywhere in or around Orlando, and your secondary market population will remain the same.

If I was the Rays I would conduct a study on where season ticket holders are coming from, similar to what the Braves did a few years ago. If it was found that a disproportionate number of them were coming from east of Tampa, then there's reason not to move to Orlando as soon as possible.

So is this Zack Wheeler guy any good? Worth $100M?

Rumor is the Phillies night offer Strasburg an absurd contract, though it’s not likely he’d want to go there. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived