2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

You mean LAL won tonight.

Looking at the box score, LeBron with 35 minutes still looks like a problem when playing a $hitty team like the Bulls.  However, the numbers from Dwight, Kuzma, Quinn Cook, and Caruso look fine and that's without Rondo. who they need to save up for Playoff Rondo.

Duh... Lakers won.

I watched the game. The starters dug a hole the second unit got them out of. LeBron came in and dropped the hammer in the fourth though. Interesting game; AD was decidedly not great tonight and while Dwight was good, he wasn't the out-of-his-head Dwight he's been this season. Kuzma shook off a bad start to perform well.

Should AD be consistent and if Kuzma becomes what LAL wants him to be and should they continue to get such consistent performance from the center position, the Lakers are looking like a dominant team. Their size will be difficult in the playoffs, especially with so many teams going small.

Notable exception is the Sixers, of course, who I think are currently the best team in the league.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Duh... Lakers won.

I watched the game. The starters dug a hole the second unit got them out of. LeBron came in and dropped the hammer in the fourth though. Interesting game; AD was decidedly not great tonight and while Dwight was good, he wasn't the out-of-his-head Dwight he's been this season. Kuzma shook off a bad start to perform well.

Should AD be consistent and if Kuzma becomes what LAL wants him to be and should they continue to get such consistent performance from the center position, the Lakers are looking like a dominant team. Their size will be difficult in the playoffs, especially with so many teams going small.

Notable exception is the Sixers, of course, who I think are currently the best team in the league.

DG_, the secret is not Kuzma, it's really how Jason Kidd gets to Rondo to make himself not be "Mavericks Rondo" and more "Pelicans Rondo" since "Celtics Rondo" is forever gone.

KCP needs less minutes and hopefully that won't kill the team either. 

I fully expect KCP to be gone by the end of February. He was the bridge to LeBron and AD and he's not reliable enough for what they need from him.

Not sure how or if the salaries match, but KCP for a guy like Korver or Redick seems to make the most sense. Especially if JJ wants to keep his playoff streak alive.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I fully expect KCP to be gone by the end of February. He was the bridge to LeBron and AD and he's not reliable enough for what they need from him.

Not sure how or if the salaries match, but KCP for a guy like Korver or Redick seems to make the most sense. Especially if JJ wants to keep his playoff streak alive.

Trade Machine is cool, but Iso Joe was cut by the Pistons and is a Free Agent. Buss just needs to get Iso Joe!

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

On 11/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, DG_Now said:

I don't see why the contender-Bucks would to that, or even the Pelicans, for that matter, who need a veteran presence.

Last night I was watching Boston/Charlotte on TNT (via YouTube TV) but just at tipoff, I got a message saying the program was blocked and I had to watch it on my local NBC Sports affiliate. I didn't know TNT games were simulcasted on local partners, too. Was thankful for the message because then I got to hear Mike Gorman and not see the augmented-reality shot clock.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Last night I was watching Boston/Charlotte on TNT (via YouTube TV) but just at tipoff, I got a message saying the program was blocked and I had to watch it on my local NBC Sports affiliate. I didn't know TNT games were simulcasted on local partners, too. Was thankful for the message because then I got to hear Mike Gorman and not see the augmented-reality shot clock.

In the Seattle market YouTube TV, Blazers national games are simulcast on the Portland NBC Sports affiliate. Simulcast though; not blocked on the national feed.

Who understands sports licensing anymore?

We're two weeks in and it's hard to read this season. I think the best teams, in no order, are the Celtics, Sixers, Heat, Bucks, Clippers and Lakers. Phoenix is up there for now, but I also remember the Grizzlies being the top team in the west last season through the first month or so.

The Clippers are already load managing Kawhi, so their 5-3 record could/should be more, while the Lakers are 6-1 but have come back from double digits deficits in most of their games.

Denver is 5-2, which is good, but they've looked bad when losing, which is bad.

That's about as sophisticated analysis I have right now. Some teams are goodish. Some are badish. Others are in the middle. I'm mostly just happy the NBA is back!

Apart from the extenuating circumstances of Golden State, feels like things are mostly shaking out as expected thus far. We'll see about how sustainable Phoenix is.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Celtics so far, but they've mostly played bad teams (that comeback against the Bucks was great, though) and I think the lack of depth, while good to get the rookie class some minutes, will bite them in the playoffs -- obviously the rotations will be shorter, but I'm already concerned that the good players are going to be worked to death in the regular season. But Good Hayward seems to legitimately be back for the first time in two years, and Kemba is easily the best fit for a Celtics team at PG since peak Rondo in a previous era of basketball.

I haven't watched a ton of other teams yet -- not sure what to make of the Sixers. Horford is as perfect for them as I feared. As a fan of a conference rival I hope they never find an outside shooter, though.

Denver is such an interesting team to me. Just completely under the radar but a well put together squad. Curious whether last year's playoff experience will prevent further wilting this year. They present a fun contrast to the rest of the league as far as teambuilding goes.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

As a fan of a conference rival I hope they never find an outside shooter, though.

It was perplexing to me why the Sixers traded away Landry Shamet. A sharpshooter they drafted molded for their situation and performing already right off the bat while with them. One of the moves by the GMs that I'll never understand. It was at least as bad as Magic Johnson trading Ivica Zubac for Mike Muscala.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I think the lack of depth, while good to get the rookie class some minutes, will bite them in the playoffs -- obviously the rotations will be shorter, but I'm already concerned that the good players are going to be worked to death in the regular season/

This is my exact thoughts on the Lakers. 

Though I can see how  it can also apply to the Celtics, they lost a lot of their depth in the off season. 

If Horford had stayed in Boston, they'd probably be the best team in the east. 

Speaking, yeah he's been amazing for the 76ers. I'd put them & the Celtics as the 2 top teams right now. With the Bucks a close 3rd. 

Suns are an interesting team to watch, I hope they can keep up the pace but part of me doubts it. 

Not that it needs to be said, but Warriors are done. 

I don't get why every player whoever DNP-rested was dinged but we have to have kid gloves for Kawhi. Why is he so protected? I don't get it.

The Clippers are awesome at PR.

Well, I'm not happy that Lowry and Ibaka are apparently both injured, but Pascal Siakam - man. He's gonna be an All-Star this year. #raptors #wethechamps

40 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Lakers may end up being scary good. Especially if they find a way to Iggy (*cough*KCP).

I would still pay $300 to see Frank Vogel get locker room mad and see the reactions from LeBron, Rondo, D-12 and Jason Kidd.  And want to know the music behind his anger, since you know he isn't cutting off the music when he gets mad

12 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Lakers might get the #1 seed, But I don't see them making The Finals. That lack of depth is going to cost them. Unless they are crazy enough to play AD & Lebron for 60 minutes. 

Lakers schedule is back loaded not just with road games (think Grammy road trip), but with better opponents for TV after the Super Bowl.  They won't get the 1 seed. 

But it is kinda to hard to question depth when they have six dudes who have been All- Defense.

Their Grammy roadtrip is:

@HOU (Saturday, Jan. 18 on ABC)

@BOS (Monday, Jan. 20)

@NYK (Wednesday, Jan. 22)

@BRK (Thursday, Jan. 23)

@PHL (Saturday, Jan. 25 on ABC)

Followed by a home game against LAC on Tuesday the 28th. 

They have a travel crazy week in March too.

@CHA (Saturday, March 21)

@DET (Sunday, March 22)

@TOR (Tuesday, March 24)

@CLE (Thursday, March 26)

@WAS (Saturday, March 28)

The Lakers have a really easy November ahead, so them ending up 14-4 at some point isn't unfathomable.

Depth is important, but in the playoffs rotations are much shorter. They'll use like 7, maybe 8 guys, and LA will always be able to have one of AD or LeBron on the court. It's going to be formidable.

Archived