2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

44 minutes ago, Digby said:

I mean it was probably because Kyrie literally said he was going to resign and then didn’t, not because he’s black. I love clowning on the worst of Bostonians but come on.

if Kyrie ever took responsibility for his hero-ball sabotage in the playoffs, or even better, literally just said “I was going to sign in Boston but I had a family member die and I want to move home, sorry to the Boston fans” then things would almost certainly be different?

there is nothing to galaxy brain about this. We have ample evidence that Kyrie is aloof and egomaniacal and sometimes a spade is a spade.

The dude is probably bipolar. He goes back and forth so often. And everyone that knows him say he very Peculiar and basically needs to do his own thing. Basically don’t tell him what to do or you get blow ups like this. He’s a toxic team mate that never holds himself accountable.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I hearing Roundball Rock as the intro for some candy-ass college basketball show on FS1?  Isn’t that an NBC thing?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Owners  (or their employees) lie to players and fans too. 

Did he change his mind regarding a job,? Yes. Haven't you?

Did he quit on his team? Maybe, however others took/missed shots and rebounds too.  I've quit on my employer at least twice before. $hit happens.

Are Celtics fans "the bad guys"?  If you are not white , possibly Yes.

This is correct. 

No player ever deserves criticism for choosing where he wants to work.  That goes for Irving, for Lebron James, for Kevin Durant, for Richard Sherman, and for every other player in every sport.

And Boston fans have the highest percentage of garbage people of any city in the North.  It is a fanbase which embraces a degree of overt racism that goes far beyond what would be considered accpetable even amongst the most animalistic and antisocial fans of New York or Philadelphia. 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, Digby said:

Who is giving him advice on word salad screeds with arbitrary capitals? He sounds like a grandma who shares racist memes on facebook.

This is also correct.   Irving is a nut.  Yet some people want to doubt the ESPN story from last month by the impeccably credible Jackie MacMullan about Irving's questionable attitude.  

I would like to take this opportunity to repeat my comment from earlier in this thread, in which I compared Irving, who was described by MacMullan as "moody", to other notoriously moody Nets point guards Deron Williams and Jason Kidd.  I noted that Kidd, despite his character flaws, galvanised his teammates and won their respect. Whereas, I am willing to bet that Irving's effect on his teammates is going to be not so much "galvanising" as "baffling".   Bad stuff is coming for the Nets.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

As far as Kyrie goes, He definitely should share some of the blame for what happened in Boston, but it also isn't completely his fault. People seem to forget how great the Celtics were in 2018 with him. 

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And Boston fans have the highest percentage of garbage people of any city in the North.  It is a fanbase which embraces a degree of overt racism that goes far beyond what would be considered accpetable even amongst the most animalistic and antisocial fans of New York or Philadelphia. 

I'm also so sick of hearing this garbage. Boston fans arent any more "racist" than fans in NY, Philly, or anywhere else in the country. Every fanbase has scumbags like that. 

In today's fun with ticket prices:

$6 will get you into the Pistons game against the Spurs.

$4 to see the Thunder in New Orleans

$11 to see the Grizzlies in Minnesota

$140 to see the Lakers play the Mavs

and the best of all, $8 to make it a double-header at Staples for the Clippers against the Mavs.

Two of those teams (I'll let you guess) could easily move to Seattle and not be missed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

In today's fun with ticket prices:

$6 will get you into the Pistons game against the Spurs.

$4 to see the Thunder in New Orleans

$11 to see the Grizzlies in Minnesota

$140 to see the Lakers play the Mavs

and the best of all, $8 to make it a double-header at Staples for the Clippers against the Mavs.

Two of those teams (I'll let you guess) could easily move to Seattle and not be missed.

LeBron/Davis/Luca...Hell yea!

17 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Luca beat them Lakers down tonight!

27/9/10

No kidding. 10-game streak over. Good bounceback for the Mavs after getting whipped by the Clippers.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Have you laughed at Jim Boylen today? No? Well, you should, because he's done all of this to himself and deserves it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I remember the stories of all of those New Orleans Pelicans new season ticket purchases, and how the big trade and Zion draft energized the fanbase. Yet here we are, with yet another Pelicans national TV game with the lower bowl half empty and no one seeming to care much one way or another.

The NBA needs to leave this city. If the franchise can't get up for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, JJ Redick and Jrue Holiday -- a pretty functional NBA roster! -- then it'll never work. It's nice when franchises have stars, but Zion was never a guarantee. If this is the worst case scenario (and it may get worse -- Zion hasn't actually played yet), then what?

32 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I remember the stories of all of those New Orleans Pelicans new season ticket purchases, and how the big trade and Zion draft energized the fanbase. Yet here we are, with yet another Pelicans national TV game with the lower bowl half empty and no one seeming to care much one way or another.

The NBA needs to leave this city. If the franchise can't get up for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, JJ Redick and Jrue Holiday -- a pretty functional NBA roster! -- then it'll never work. It's nice when franchises have stars, but Zion was never a guarantee. If this is the worst case scenario (and it may get worse -- Zion hasn't actually played yet), then what?

Getting Gayle "Almost a Jailbird" Benson to sell the team would be a start. Not sure she ever will though. 

11 minutes ago, Wings said:

Getting Gayle "Almost a Jailbird" Benson to sell the team would be a start. Not sure she ever will though. 

TV ratings notwithstanding, these owners have all seen crazy ROI on NBA franchise purchases. Each franchise is worth at least $1 billion now; the Rockets and Clippers were recently bought for $2 billion. The Kings and Bucks were bought in the early 2010s for about $500 million, and have each doubled in value. The Grizzlies, purchased for $350 million in 2012, have tripled.

The Bensons bought the Pelicans for $340 million, and could cash out for $1 billion+. Why they don't, I don't know. I also don't know too many people in the billion-plus range looking to buy sports franchises (though, fer chrissakes Jeff Bezos -- do something Seattle can love you for!).

Fun with numbers:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/9/5/16255168/nba-teams-sold-highest-record-price-all-30

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193696/franchise-value-of-national-basketball-association-teams-in-2010/

The Pacers were purchased in 1983 for the equivalent of $11 million today. I feel like I could get a loan for that much if I wanted to. The Bulls were bough in 1985 for the equivalent of $35 million. What a stupid, terrible world we live in.

Also, if Luca Doncic is coming to your town, you ought to be there.

Through three tonight, he has a ridiculous 33 points, 18 rebounds (!!) and 5 assists. JFC.

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

They were either brokers or folks like Stugotz who thought of the tickets as an "investment opportunity" and the market tanked as soon as he got injured. 

I thought the Lakers couldn’t beat good teams?

Great win last night. AD was spectacular. LeBron is back to being LeBron. The Lakers are much better than I expected. Honestly. 

I can’t wait to play the Clippers again. (And it’s still doesn’t seem real to see the Lakers and Clippers as the two best teams in the West!)

And why aren’t we talking about Giannis and the Bucks? Giannis looks even better than last year and looks like he’s about to be the best player in the world. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

35 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I thought the Lakers couldn’t beat good teams?

Great win last night. AD was spectacular. LeBron is back to being LeBron. The Lakers are much better than I expected. Honestly. 

I can’t wait to play the Clippers again. (And it’s still doesn’t seem real to see the Lakers and Clippers as the two best teams in the West!)

And why aren’t we talking about Giannis and the Bucks? Giannis looks even better than last year and looks like he’s about to be the best player in the world. 

It is a back to back in Utah tonight. As a good time as any to sweep the two and make a statement

Archived