2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

When the Lakers offense is clicking it looks really, really nice. I don't know if Vogel or Kidd or someone else gets the credit for it, but I think the Lakers are the most aesthetically pleasing team in the league this season. Them or the Bucks and sometimes the Clippers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

When the Lakers offense is clicking it looks really, really nice. I don't know if Vogel or Kidd or someone else gets the credit for it, but I think the Lakers are the most aesthetically pleasing team in the league this season. Them or the Bucks and sometimes the Clippers.

I’d put most of it on Lebron, when he’s not forcing stuff he has some of the best court vision and passing abilities in the NBA. The coaches might draw up and practice the plays but come game time it’s Lebron running that offense.

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

We're at December 16, when dudes signed during the free agency period is able to be traded!

And the significance is? Who wants to trade who they signed this off-season? Is this a big time of the year any other year that I’m missing?

21 minutes ago, dont care said:

And the significance is? Who wants to trade who they signed this off-season? Is this a big time of the year any other year that I’m missing?

Trade season has begun. DeAngelo Russell could be moved already.

Significant  enough for ESPN to have Woj and Lowe record a podcast and air it.

With all the hysteria over the sagging ratings this season, ESPN is just searching for new ways to drum up interest during the dog days of the NBA season. I've heard Lowe and Windhorst mention December 15 multiple times as some important day we're supposed to be excited about, but in all my years of following basketball I never knew "trade season" was a thing.

7 minutes ago, The Six said:

With all the hysteria over the sagging ratings this season, ESPN is just searching for new ways to drum up interest during the dog days of the NBA season. I've heard Lowe and Windhorst mention December 15 multiple times as some important day we're supposed to be excited about, but in all my years of following basketball I never knew "trade season" was a thing.

That's on you.

1 hour ago, The Six said:

It was a pretty big part of the free agent period.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It was a pretty big part of the free agent period.

Was it really though? There is nothing I can find online about it. It’s just manufactured drama that doesn’t exist. It’s never been an important thing in the past and isn’t now. 

53 minutes ago, dont care said:

Was it really though? There is nothing I can find online about it. It’s just manufactured drama that doesn’t exist. It’s never been an important thing in the past and isn’t now. 

It was it you were paying attention over the summer. If not, I don't know what to tell you.

I do agree that a lot of the NBA commentary class cares way more about player movement than they do the actual games. To the point that I think a lot of them should just do NBA 2K seasons and sim the games rather than complaining about how long the season is. In fact, I think a lot of the NBA chattering class gets excited for the Finals, the Draft and free agency, and that's about it. It's a problem and it comes at expense of people caring about the actual season. See: declining ratings.

They highlighted the Dec. 15 date more in summer 2019 than they have previously, so I agree it's manufactured. But if you were following closely then, it shouldn't be a surprise now.

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Uh oh, I wasn't aware of this particular part of ESPN's hype machine, and it's on me! 

This is embarrassing. Clearly I need to watch The Jump some more. 

I feel like you're just looking for an argument.

?

I wasn't arguing with anyone to begin with. Just agreeing with don't care that "trade season" never felt like anything important before, and expressing bemusement in the idea that not watching enough ESPN is "on me". You even just agreed that it's manufactured, so...?

I totally agree that ESPN et al are hyping Dec. 15 as An Event in a way they haven't before and that it's absolutely catering to the fantasy dweeb/analytics nerds.

Absolutely no one needs a "trade season special" of an already regular podcast to discuss potential moves.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Well, in spite of some disgraceful disrespect by the refs, the *ahem* LEAGUE CHAMPION Raptors have a six point halftime lead against one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference.

Yeah, I'm a homer. Here are the CHAMPIONS of the league, and they're getting all the questionable calls against them. 

Archived