2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

Zion is really, really good.

After those years of waiting for guys like Jah and Lonzo and Markelle to be great, the NBA has hit the jackpot with Trae, Luka, Zion and Ja. (Bagley and Ayton might want to get their asses in gear.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Zion is really, really good.

After those years of waiting for guys like Jah and Lonzo and Markelle to be great, the NBA has hit the jackpot with Trae, Luka, Zion and Ja. (Bagley and Ayton might want to get their asses in gear.)

Yep, Ja might be the Rookie of the Year, but Zion is looking like the Best Rookie.

15 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Tatum deserves a lot of credit for how much better he’s gotten. 

30.5 PTS
51.4 FG% (20.2 FGA)
50 3P% (8.7 3PA)
77.9 FT% (7 FTA)
7.5 REB
36.6 MIN

over the last month. 

And people said they should have traded him & Brown for rentals. LOL 😂

Depends if you wanted to win the 2019 title. With Kawhi they probably would have.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Maybe, but then Celtics would have been :censored:ed for the foreseeable future. 

Keeping this core together, they’ll be contenders for the next 5 years at least. 

We've been saying this about the Celtics for a while now.

2 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Maybe, but then Celtics would have been :censored:ed for the foreseeable future. 

Keeping this core together, they’ll be contenders for the next 5 years at least. 

It worked for Toronto, and is working for the Lakers this year. Or is that the “wrong way“ of doing it.

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

It worked for Toronto, and is working for the Lakers this year. Or is that the “wrong way“ of doing it.

The Warriors drafted incredibly well and made smart signings to bolster their core of Steph/Klay/Dray. They won a title in 2015 in large part because the Cavs fielded half a team in the Finals. Then they were blown out in 2016, losing three games in a row at one point.

A historic and unreplicable cap bump got them KD and two titles that no team could hope to compete with, especially when their big goon intentionally handicapped the Spurs' best player in the 2017 WCF.

I say all that to say that the Warriors are often held as an example of building a team through the draft  -- which they did -- but they became the WARRIORS (i.e., greatest modern collection of NBA talent) due to circumstances no other team could hope to line up in their favor.

So in conclusion, the Celtics deserve every disappointing season they have coming due to Ainge screwing IT.

Are we still pretending that shipping off IT wasn’t the right move? Even if the Kyrie experiment didn’t work out? 
Yeah, I get people wish Ainge gave him the Max so the Celtics could be stuck in the same pit as The Wizards with John Wall. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Raptors & LA had more depth than Celtics. 
Neither Kawhi or AD trade was happening without giving up Tatum, Hayward, or Brown. 

2 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Are we still pretending that shipping off IT wasn’t the right move? Even if the Kyrie experiment didn’t work out? 
Yeah, I get people wish Ainge gave him the Max so the Celtics could be stuck in the same pit as The Wizards with John Wall. 

Raptors & LA had more depth than Celtics. 
Neither Kawhi or AD trade was happening without giving up Tatum, Hayward, or Brown. 

And the Lakers didn’t give up ball, Ingram and picks? Toronto didn’t give up derosen? Toronto was already a good team before the Leonard trade like the Celtics. The Lakers though only had a young core and Lebron 

36 minutes ago, dont care said:

And the Lakers didn’t give up ball, Ingram and picks? Toronto didn’t give up derosen? Toronto was already a good team before the Leonard trade like the Celtics. The Lakers though only had a young core and Lebron 

Lakers are a terrible example since they already had Lebron. 

And DeRozan, while great, is 30 years old. Compared to Tatum who is 21 & Brown who is 23. 

Raptors weren't hemorrhaging their entire future, Celtics would be doing that if they gave up Brown or Tatum. 

With how the team is playing now, Ainge 100% made the right choice not giving them up for a rental of AD or Kawhi.  

Meanwhile the current version of Toronto is 2nd in the conference with no signs of slowing down. I hate the "nobody respects us" narrative but man, the Raptors keep proving it. They get mocked for firing a good coach, mortgaging for one year of Kawhi, writing off Lowry all the time...and yet.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

Meanwhile the current version of Toronto is 2nd in the conference with no signs of slowing down. I hate the "nobody respects us" narrative but man, the Raptors keep proving it. They get mocked for firing a good coach, mortgaging for one year of Kawhi, writing off Lowry all the time...and yet.

Yeah, it's all pretty amazing. I don't think they get past Philly or Milwaukee without Kawhi last season, so it was all worth it, but good lord. It was reasonable to expect a drop-off but it just didn't happen. Nurse is a good coach and Siakam looks like a star. Happy for that team and that city.

(Unlike Boston, who can continue to piss up a rope)

On 10/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Sucks for Steph; no one deserves to be injured during play. I hope he enjoys a deserved season off and he and Klay try again next year.

All of that amazing luck they had for four years has rubber banded in dramatic fashion.

On the plus side, maybe some of those Oakland fans displaced from Oracle the past few years can finally afford to see their team in person again.

I know I made some spicy posts about how all those great new Warriors fans were all of a sudden going to be finding something else to do once the Warriors bottomed out. All those empty seats during tonight's game against the Lakers would probably be filled if the team were still where it belonged in Oakland.

I am generally very tired of Fantasy Danny Ainge discourse, but since we're here:

14 hours ago, dont care said:

I mean, the future is unknowable, but I think the bet has always been that Tatum's ceiling is higher than even that of Ingram or DeRozan (particularly an over-the-hill DeRozan if we're including timelines), and the last two months are a very good sign for that bet.

22 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Depends if you wanted to win the 2019 title. With Kawhi they probably would have.

That seems presumptuous based on the way the 2019 Celtics' playoff run shook out, though it would have been a fun experiment to see if two deeply unhappy superstars who'd rather be anywhere else could will a team to a title anyway.

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I know I made some spicy posts about how all those great new Warriors fans were all of a sudden going to be finding something else to do once the Warriors bottomed out. All those empty seats during tonight's game against the Lakers would probably be filled if the team were still where it belonged in Oakland.

But the new arena is built on the same promises as so many of those SF fancy apartment buildings, as a place for rich people to hide their money in condos/luxury suites and nobody cares if they stay empty. (Also I can't believe the audacity of the Warriors to keep those stupid "Town" jerseys around--at least the Hurricanes had the good sense to give Hartford 25 years of mourning time.)

Poor Oakland's really taken it from both sides, watching its legitimately fun and weird sports scene evaporate almost overnight but getting gentrified into characterless misery anyway.

New Orleans has drafted its second generational talent in a decade, and is in contention for a playoff spot. They have an exciting young roster that could contend for the next part of five years.

Where the :censored: are the fans?

https://streamable.com/6wy94

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

New Orleans has drafted its second generational talent in a decade, and is in contention for a playoff spot. They have an exciting young roster that could contend for the next part of five years.

Where the :censored: are the fans?

https://streamable.com/6wy94

Bought by brokers or "investors" who don't get their price met.

Archived