2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

Ballmer prepared to purchase The Forum

LOS ANGELES -- LA Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is in advanced negotiations to purchase The Forum in Inglewood, California, from the Madison Square Garden Company, an acquisition that would clear a major hurdle in the Clippers' efforts to construct a new home arena in the vicinity, according to league sources.

The Clippers would neither confirm nor deny the report but issued the following statement to ESPN: "The Clippers continue to pursue plans to build a state-of-the-art, 18,000-seat basketball arena and entertainment complex in Inglewood and are currently working with the city to successfully complete the comprehensive Environmental Impact Report.

"We are examining every possible way to resolve our differences with Madison Square Garden Co. regarding our new arena."

MSG declined to comment for the story

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough to find a side to root for in this fight. Surprised MSG would give up the Forum, they have close to a monopoly on arena concerts in LA relative to other markets and it's freshly renovated for a building of its age. Must be a huge sum to be worthwhile.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, DEAD! said:

IRATE (Inglewood Residents Against Takings and Evictions) "

That made me laugh...

I don't know Inglewood at all, but the assumption I'm making is Ballmer's desire to build an arena in LA is at cross purposes with people staying in their homes and their communities.

That's pretty messed up. Especially when Staples still has room for the Clippers and other markets wouldn't require displacing people with limited options.

This is the worst side of pro sports.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As far as I know, it isn't displacing anybody. Most of the resistance is from groups that Dolan has been funding, and it looks like he's just giving up and selling the Forum instead. The new arena is not being publicly funded and apparently includes massive donations to the city as well as housing support, so it looks like one of the better stadium deals we've ever had.

So, tonight I stayed up late to watch the Raptors play the Dubs in California. I wouldn't normally do that on a weeknight. 

Rather fittingly, by beating the Warriors tonight, the Raptors have clinched a playoff spot, and will have a chance to defend their NBA championship title.

Let's Go Raptors. #wethechamps #raptors #nba

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

So, tonight I stayed up late to watch the Raptors play the Dubs in California. I wouldn't normally do that on a weeknight. 

Rather fittingly, by beating the Warriors tonight, the Raptors have clinched a playoff spot, and will have a chance to defend their NBA championship title.

Let's Go Raptors. #wethechamps #raptors #nba

I've been a Steph doubter for a long time, and even though he finished -13 on the night, the Warriors were clearly different than they've been. Maybe he's good after all. That said, I still expect and am excited to see him put up 30 points in losing efforts the rest of the way. I want that catharsis.

Also, the Clippers are probably the best team in the league right now.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LeBron and Giannis guarding each other is why the NBA regular season does indeed matter.

I mean, come on:

1 hour ago, Waffles said:

I truly do not get this. There has to be more to this story, right?

I feel like I need to make an Obi-Wan Kenobi meme for Jacques Vaughn. Jesus.

My guess is Atkinson is pissed the team he coached to the playoffs last year was unceremoniously gutted for two guys who don't even play.

Biggest game of the season today, and they started it at what was yesterday 1130 am. Okay!

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Biggest game of the season today, and they started it at what was yesterday 1130 am. Okay!

It's for the people on the other side of the globe. Not problematic for people on the American continent on a weekend day, and very convenient for Europeans. A rather considerate arrangement from NBA's part on a once a week basis.

I said the Clips were the best, but nope. Sweeping the Bucks and Clippers over one weekend is pretty special.

Archived