2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dont care said:

I hope they don’t, I remember I few years ago the ice would get very sloppy in the summer months, atleast in Boston I know it did.

I guess the NBA could get away with games in July but the NHL shouldn't follow suit. 

If the NBA and NHL return as is, with a full month's worth of games left in the regular season in June, that would take the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup finals into August.  If they start up again in July, that takes them to September and in conflict with the Start of the NFL and college football seasons.  

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If the NBA and NHL return as is, with a full month's worth of games left in the regular season in June, that would take the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup finals into August.  If they start up again in July, that takes them to September and in conflict with the Start of the NFL and college football seasons.  

I’m beginning to think that, if (and right now it’s more of a big if than not) the NBA and/or NHL get back to playing after about 30 days, they’ll do an abridged season with something like 70-75 regular season games. That way, it gets each team to the same number of games played by tacking on the first 10-15-ish postponed games onto the regularly-scheduled end of the regular season, then go with the playoffs from there. It would minimize the impact to the playoff and offseason schedules with both leagues ending no later than about mid-July at the absolute latest.

At least that’s what I would do.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

34 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I’m beginning to think that, if (and right now it’s more of a big if than not) the NBA and/or NHL get back to playing after about 30 days, they’ll do an abridged season with something like 70-75 regular season games to get each team to the same number of games by tacking on the first 10-15-ish postponed games onto the regularly-scheduled end of the regular season, then go with the playoffs from there. It would minimize the impact to the playoff and offseason schedules with both leagues ending no later than about mid-July at the absolute latest.

At least that’s what I would do.

If both return next month, I think it will be in front of no fans for at least another month.  Out of the two leagues though, I think NHL will return before NBA if no NHL players have the virus.  

On 3/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, JayMac said:

I am personally hoping both the NBA and NHL resume play (if they do) with the playoffs. I cannot see these leagues going deep into July and being ready to start it all over again in September. 

I agree with this.

Looking at the present NBA standings, the East's 8 seed has a 1.5 game lead over the 9th seed. The West is even more clear-cut.
We have a playoff field ready. Let's just all get through this crisis, and hopefully start the playoffs as soon as it is reasonable to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Ballmer bought the Forum for $400 million cash.

Obviously we all know that another team used to play there. As he moves forward with his operations as the new owner, hopefully he respects the legacy and greatness that played in that arena in the past.

(Gretzky's legacy, of course.)

15 hours ago, The Six said:

Steve Ballmer bought the Forum for $400 million cash.

Obviously we all know that another team used to play there. As he moves forward with his operations as the new owner, hopefully he respects the legacy and greatness that played in that arena in the past.

(Gretzky's legacy, of course.)

Imagine having enough money to buy an arena, just for the purpose of building another arena.

sig.png

On 3/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, RedKub said:

Bucks fans get the claim to this year's nonexistent championship for years to come, like Expos fans do with 1994. 

I was always under the impression that it was between the Dodgers or the Expos.  Which other teams had a shot that season? 

17 hours ago, sayahh said:

I was always under the impression that it was between the Dodgers or the Expos.  Which other teams had a shot that season? 

Cleveland and Chicago White Sox. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, sayahh said:

There's this obscure little team called the Yankees. Perhaps you've heard of them?

It was on the strength of the Yankees having the the American League's best record that Buck Showalter was the manager of the 1995 American League All-Star team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

So tonight starts the 10-part documentary of the Bulls 97-98 seasons on ESPN and naturally, it's helped spark more pointless debates on sports social media. Shaq has said the Lakers could've taken the Bulls in their prime and even some Pistons fans say Jordan couldn't out-do them, even though they finally beat Detroit in 1991 to get the first ring. While these discussions are entertaining, it's more of a debate about metrics and how we determine which athletes are better and why. Perhaps the best way is to see which championship is the closest to the midpoint of an athlete's prime and see what the advanced stats are there. Otherwise, I always have to chuckle at these sports nerds who are just surefire that this team would be beat this team, based on some sole hot take without any kind of numbers to back that up. 

Anyways, I think ESPN does high quality documentary work and I'm super interested to see more of the nuances behind one of the greatest, if not the greatest dynasty, in basketball history.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived