2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Shaq: Multiple NBA teams for sale, Las Vegas a possible landing spotMultiple NBA teams for sale, Las Vegas a possible landing spot

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1972829

It is Shaq saying it, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

I've heard this rumor as well. But, really, what franchises are in a position to relocate? Depending on the team I could see the NBA expediting expansion with a replacement franchise if the community is well established along with Seattle.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 minutes ago, kimball said:

I've heard this rumor as well. But, really, what franchises are in a position to relocate? Depending on the team I could see the NBA expediting expansion with a replacement franchise if the community is well established along with Seattle.

I'm not sure if the economic situation either helps or hurts the case for expansion (rather than relocation).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

From Googling more about it, there's speculation New Orleans Pelicans, Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Hornets could be the franchises most likely relocated.

I could see MJ being done with the Hornets, but it'd be a nightmare for the NBA and Charlotte if the NBA left town again. Would they get a replacement team? I don't think so?

But, I could see the Pelicans leaving with Benson and Stern gone. It wouldn't be as big of a PR nightmare if the team left closer to Katrina. 

I don't know ... it'll be interesting to see what happens? I could totally see a surprise team like the Spurs, Suns or something. Time will tell.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

From Googling more about it, there's speculation New Orleans Pelicans, Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Hornets could be the franchises most likely relocated.

I could see MJ being done with the Hornets, but it'd be a nightmare for the NBA and Charlotte if the NBA left town again. Would they get a replacement team? I don't think so?

But, I could see the Pelicans leaving with Benson and Stern gone. It wouldn't be as big of a PR nightmare if the team left closer to Katrina. 

I don't know ... it'll be interesting to see what happens? I could totally see a surprise team like the Spurs, Suns or something. Time will tell.

MJ recently sold a minority share to some NY businessmen, but I doubt he's done with the Hornets, sadly. I'm still praying for Tepper to save this cursed franchise but that'll have to wait. If we lose the Hornets for a second time, I honestly don't know what would happen. I'd like to think we'd be second in line for expansion (after Seattle) but I sadly think the general population would just respond with apathy, like they have with the team as of late. I know I'd be livid if the Hornets left and I'd hate for an expansion team to come and for the team to have to start all over again so I'd think the NBA pull an MLS and sell the Hornets to a new (local) owner to keep them there and grant the old owners a new team in their preferred location. 

I'd rather see Vancouver get a team back alongside Seattle than Vegas getting anything. I have no idea of attendance or anything, but I feel like the Pelicans would be in the most danger here. Their owner recently died and the franchise seems to be a little unstable but I can't speak for New Orleans at all. Of course, I'd get a bit of smug satisfaction is the Pelicans move but the Hornets stay but I'd hate to see any team move right now. Expansion or nothing!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Not that I have any insider info but I've wondered about the Pistons and T'Wolves, too ... couple of moribund franchises who were supposed to have relaunches in recent years, and just haven't.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Not that I have any insider info but I've wondered about the Pistons and T'Wolves, too ... couple of moribund franchises who were supposed to have relaunches in recent years, and just haven't.

I know the Pistons were rumored to make a move when Davidson died about 10 years ago.  I just don't see it though. I'd say the Pelicans, Wolves and Grizzlies would be the suspects.

sig.png

Minnesota just signed a long term lease as part of the renovations to the Target Center. I’d put them off the list. But, if there’s a buyout that a potential new owner would pay, who knows?

kimball banner.png

3 hours ago, JayMac said:

Aren't the Pelicans not well-received in New Orleans?

They had a ton of empty seats every single game, even though they have the best young roster in basketball and the most exciting rookie since LeBron.

Dfwabel says it's because those tickets all went to brokers, but idk. The Lakers always have fans whether they're good or bad.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, JayMac said:

Aren't the Pelicans not well-received in New Orleans?

Back when they won the draft lottery, every person on ESPN, Fox and CBS Sports called New Orleans an awful NBA town.  They all agree that when it comes to the NFL and the Saints, it's fantastic.  The Pelicans are the opposite.  

Las Vegas?  Of course, it has to be Las Vegas, because they aren't satisfied with having one major league team.  Instead they want 4.  

12 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Back when they won the draft lottery, every person on ESPN, Fox and CBS Sports called New Orleans an awful NBA town.  They all agree that when it comes to the NFL and the Saints, it's fantastic.  The Hornets are the opposite.  

Las Vegas?  Of course, it has to be Las Vegas, because they aren't satisfied with having one major league team.  Instead they want 4.  

Do you mean the Pelicans? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2891547-report-nba-switches-to-wilson-for-game-ball-after-spalding-contract-expires - NEWSFLASH: Bye bye, Spalding, hello Wilson (again), as Wilson will return to the mantle of being the official supplier to the NBA's game balls for the 2021-22 season. This ends a 38-year partnership for the NBA and Spalding; Wilson had previously supplied the NBA game balls from its inaugural season in 1946 until 1983.

UBwef0L.png

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Back when they won the draft lottery, every person on ESPN, Fox and CBS Sports called New Orleans an awful NBA town.  They all agree that when it comes to the NFL and the Saints, it's fantastic.  The Pelicans are the opposite.  

The funny thing is that I thought that the only league that Las Vegas could work in is the NBA.

Memphis and New Orleans seem highly vulnerable to me, Charlotte less so owing to the relative strength of their local economy and Jordan's involvement. The Pelicans going to Seattle to revive the Supersonics would be a righting of multiple wrongs and make the last 15 years feel like a colossal and stupid waste of everyone's time w/r/t to the whole Seattle-New Orleans-Oklahoma City triangle. Memphis was a reach in good times, I can see them winding up in Seattle or Las Vegas, not that I want them to.

The Last Dance was fantastic and it was so emotional to relive all that and see all that old footage of all those people who have grown old with us since. Didn't really learn anything from it, but that wasn't the point, it was just about letting the sights and sounds wash over you. Lot of fun to watch. He's still the best ever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Last Dance was fantastic and it was so emotional to relive all that and see all that old footage of all those people who have grown old with us since. Didn't really learn anything from it, but that wasn't the point, it was just about letting the sights and sounds wash over you. Lot of fun to watch. He's still the best ever.

No, the documentary was approved to move forward in June 2016, right after LeBron won the title over the 73-9 Warriors. The point was for Jordan to make sure he wasn't forgotten by the next generation of basketball fans.

Did it work? Don't know; a lot of that footage is awesome for guys in their 30s and up. I'm not sure about the resonance for people who never had MJ but did have Kobe and LeBron.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Memphis and New Orleans seem highly vulnerable to me, Charlotte less so owing to the relative strength of their local economy and Jordan's involvement. The Pelicans going to Seattle to revive the Supersonics would be a righting of multiple wrongs and make the last 15 years feel like a colossal and stupid waste of everyone's time w/r/t to the whole Seattle-New Orleans-Oklahoma City triangle. Memphis was a reach in good times, I can see them winding up in Seattle or Las Vegas, not that I want them to.

Man, the Pelicans ending up in Seattle would be something like ultimate karma, huh? First they steal a franchise because Charlotteans rightfully wanted nothing to do with a garbage human being, Katrina forces NOLA to stay in OKC, proving its worth as an NBA town, leading to the OG Sonics moving, and now if the Pelicans end up in Seattle it feels like the cycle will be complete. I'd love to see Zion in the green and gold!

Archived