2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Bubble basketball is good!

It is.  So far so good.  When the playoffs begin, 8 teams will leave the bubble and so on and so forth.  The further this NBA Bubble advances, the fewer teams will be in the bubble and the fewer the teams in the bubble, the increased likelihood of an NBA Champion actually crowned, barring anything catastrophic.  

19 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Bubble basketball is good!

I just wish the escapism of "yay sports!" wasn't ruined by every commercial referencing the pandemic.

Also that the Grizzlies had won.

18 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I just wish the escapism of "yay sports!" wasn't ruined by every commercial referencing the pandemic.

Also that the Grizzlies had won.

And also being two months behind on the culture. No, cute AT&T girl, no one is making sourdough anymore. No Facebook, no one is clanging pots and pans for pandemic workers anymore and certainly no one is doing Zoom dance parties and hangouts with friends anymore. And why do all DSW workers pull their masks down in their recent commercial?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Who’s in charge of the in-arena production here? Good on the PA guy to very quickly pivot to overwrought intros for “home” teams for 22 teams at once, can’t be easy. But are we going to listen to the intro to Kanye’s “Power” as generic pump-up music 15 times a game, every game?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

Who’s in charge of the in-arena production here? Good on the PA guy to very quickly pivot to overwrought intros for “home” teams for 22 teams at once, can’t be easy. But are we going to listen to the intro to Kanye’s “Power” as generic pump-up music 15 times a game, every game?

They've got team sponsors on the court, maybe they can get a playlist from every team. That would be pretty cool, but maybe too much work. Though the Grizzlies lost, it was nice to get to hear their announcers again.

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I just wish the escapism of "yay sports!" wasn't ruined by every commercial referencing the pandemic

I could do without covid being used as a marketing tool as well.  I will say, though, Nike's new ad that references the pandemic and social movements going on right now is a pretty brilliant example of editing.

IUe6Hvh.png

I made a comment to a friend of mine who's a fan of basketball that I miss the days of actual defense. I got into the habit of watching old playoff sports videos on YouTube while in quarantine during my workouts and watching older defensive battles like the 05 Finals was such a different taste by today's All-Star Game scoring lines. It wasn't that long ago that two teams didn't even crack 70 heading into the fourth quarter and it was refreshing to watch!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

They've got team sponsors on the court, maybe they can get a playlist from every team. That would be pretty cool, but maybe too much work. Though the Grizzlies lost, it was nice to get to hear their announcers again.

The Celtics playlist is, still, hairspray rock from the 1980s, so I’m actually cool without it personally. As long as Gino Time is an option.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

32 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

I made a comment to a friend of mine who's a fan of basketball that I miss the days of actual defense. I got into the habit of watching old playoff sports videos on YouTube while in quarantine during my workouts and watching older defensive battles like the 05 Finals was such a different taste by today's All-Star Game scoring lines. It wasn't that long ago that two teams didn't even crack 70 heading into the fourth quarter and it was refreshing to watch!

It's less that defense has worsened and more that shooting has improved. If you want a game from the 80s, the 3 point line is almost treated like hot lava; the goal was to get as close to the basket as you could so you saw a lot more mid-range shots.

Now, kind of like baseball, it's either 3 point or dunks or drawing contact.  Those are the highest-reward field goal attempts, so that's what coaches and players prioritize. Everyone except the Spurs.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I miss the crowd noise and the playing to the fans, but it's kind of crazy how the game itself is pretty much the same. There's less showboating, but the run of play is essentially the same as it was pre-quarantine.

The fake crowd noise is generally pretty good too. Yes, it's weird we're tricking ourselves during quarantine, but I don't mind. It's high level basketball with great presentation on my TV. And some of the new camera angles that, although gimmicky, are fun too.

I love basketball, that's all.

Crazy that it’s been a whole decade since the last time the Lakers clinched the #1 seed. I remember 2010 so vividly but that was ten years ago. 

But it also continues a strange statistic.  For the past four decades, a season that bookends a decade and begins a new decade (2019-2020 as an example) the Lakers have been the number 1 seed in the West. 

You have to go back to the 1969-1970 season for the last time this didn’t happen (they were 2nd). Definitely an odd one. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I don't know how NBA TV can broadcast games for years and ruin the aspect ratio of their games with their stupid scroll bar. How do they not know what they're doing?

Devin Booker just shot a buzzer beater over Paul George (LOL) to beat the Clippers. It would have been an AMAZING reaction in an arena. Still pretty cool on TV though!

Archived