buzzcut

2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

Recommended Posts

I think when the Clippers play their best, they’re the best team in the NBA. The problem is I think they’ve maybe played at their best 4 games the whole season and they seem to have no desire to get there the other 90% of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder if these playoffs are rewiring the current NBA axiom that you need an all-timer of a star on your team. Or maybe just who we consider a star. Rockets, Sixers and Bucks not only crashed out, but did so looking bad in the process; meanwhile the Celtics are moving up, Nuggets just might, and the post-Kawhi Raptors are out but only just barely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

I do wonder if these playoffs are rewiring the current NBA axiom that you need an all-timer of a star on your team. Or maybe just who we consider a star. Rockets, Sixers and Bucks not only crashed out, but did so looking bad in the process; meanwhile the Celtics are moving up, Nuggets just might, and the post-Kawhi Raptors are out but only just barely.

 

I'm not sure what you can take away from these playoffs. It's a bubble atmosphere where players are separated from their extended social networks, and the pool of people to hang out with gets progressively smaller. It has to be a real mind trip to have started the process with a few hundred people around you and now be down to a few dozen.

 

The teams remaining are either immensely talents (Lakers/Clippers/Nuggets) or very young and well coached (Heat/Celtics). I think there are combinations of factors to explain why the remaining 5 teams are the remaining 5 teams.

 

As far as roster construction goes, the Warriors threw a wrench into everything with the KD signing. It simply isn't normal to have 5 all-NBA players playing on a single team, but the Warriors pulled that off. If not for them, LeBron probably has another title. Or maybe the Spurs or Rockets too. And each of those rosters had the regular combo of all-time players and smart, effective role players.

 

And even still, Jimmy Butler is great. He's a top five bubble guy, without question. Jaylen, Jayson and Kemba are all max contract talent. Plus they're adding Gordon Hayward back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 1:44 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

The 2019 Raptors won a title and the 2020 follow-up team went on a run no one expected after losing Kawhi.

 

That championship validates the franchise for forever. Toronto fans have been amazing and I hope they're on the whole overjoyed with the Kyle Lowry era. It's been amazing. I hope they can add a piece to the Lowry/Siakam core and do good things next season.

It's been really great. It's crazy to think the same purple clad team with a goofy dinosaur logo across the jerseys that was getting routed by nearly everyone else in the league twenty-five years ago managed to get this far. It's been great to see the city come together to embrace them too, seeing as they've always sort of been the odd team out in the Toronto sports landscape (blue maple leaf, double blue bird, double blue shield, red and purple dinosaur).

 

Not only that, but it has re-invigorated my love of basketball/the NBA in general. I would always tune in come playoff time, but this past season was probably the first NBA season I watched regularly since the Vince Carter years. And it's been a blast! It's a great game to get into.

 

I'm not sure what else is in store for this version of the Raptors. Lowry/Siakam is a good base to start with, and they can build on it. Toronto's a great city, and every player who's played there has said as much. It's just that being the lone foreign locale means it's a bit of a daunting challenge when it comes to FA signings. Hopefully the recent success helps negate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IceCap said:

It's been really great. It's crazy to think the same purple clad team with a goofy dinosaur logo across the jerseys that was getting routed by nearly everyone else in the league twenty-five years ago managed to get this far. It's been great to see the city come together to embrace them too, seeing as they've always sort of been the odd team out in the Toronto sports landscape (blue maple leaf, double blue bird, double blue shield, red and purple dinosaur).

 

Not only that, but it has re-invigorated my love of basketball/the NBA in general. I would always tune in come playoff time, but this past season was probably the first NBA season I watched regularly since the Vince Carter years. And it's been a blast! It's a great game to get into.

 

I'm not sure what else is in store for this version of the Raptors. Lowry/Siakam is a good base to start with, and they can build on it. Toronto's a great city, and every player who's played there has said as much. It's just that being the lone foreign locale means it's a bit of a daunting challenge when it comes to FA signings. Hopefully the recent success helps negate that.

Last couple years of watching sports in general has seen me switch rapidly from more of a hockey fan to a basketball fan, and I think that directly coincided with the Raptors' success. I look forward to them continuing to be contenders in the years to come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowry's getting on in years but probably has at least a couple years of elite-level play in him. This ECF may have been his finest performance, at least with him setting the terms and dragging his team nearly to glory.

 

I know divisions don't matter in the NBA anymore, but next couple of years in the Atlantic Division will be real slugfests. Plus Toronto, we can presume that Boston will be a force for years, and that Brooklyn are the new star team in the east, plus Philly's there too assuming they sort out their malaise. (Spare a thought for the Knicks, though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell of a finish tonight with Boston and Miami. I hope we get seven games from those two.

 

Head says Clippers by 12, heart says Nuggets by 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t take another seven game series but if that’s what a Boston win requires, so be it. 😩

 

At the end, when Bam and Tatum were both going up, do you think they both knew that they were a few milliseconds from a historic highlight, and only one of them would come out of that the winner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Digby said:

I can’t take another seven game series but if that’s what a Boston win requires, so be it. 😩

 

At the end, when Bam and Tatum were both going up, do you think they both knew that they were a few milliseconds from a historic highlight, and only one of them would come out of that the winner?

 

Bam's block took such amazing strength. I was hoping Tatum's 3 would go in because he deserved a moment.

 

I hope Denver can pull it out. They're such a great team peaking at the right time and their roster makes so much sense. They're terrifying to me as a Lakers fan, but they play really fun basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've been a one-man team and with Kawhi not on his game, they aren't that dangerous.

 

This is the Lakers' title to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest game in Clippers history and their two big players are a combined 10-37 and for 24 points. A total disaster for the Clippers, especially when you think about what they gave up.

 

Doc shouldn't come back, PG should be traded while he still has value (does he?), and Kawhi should have stayed in Toronto.

 

Also, Ballmer should move them to Seattle. Never gonna happen in LA; this was their shot and they blew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out Kawhi Leonard is a terrible GM. Forcing the Clippers to trade for Paul George destroyed this team. Building around SGA would have been much more exciting.

 

There can't be any way Doc survives this, but seeing as how Ballmer's kept him through all the other failures, he'll probably get a new 5 year contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have 0 clue why people hyped this team up so much. It was Kawhi & a bunch of perennial playoff chokers. 

Not a single thing about them had me believing they (would) had any chance against Lebron & AD.  

 

Hopefully Denver can make it interesting, at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Have 0 clue why people hyped this team up so much. It was Kawhi & a bunch of perennial playoff chokers. 

Not a single thing about them had me believing they (would) had any chance against Lebron & AD.  

 

Hopefully Denver can make it interesting, at least. 

 

Paul George is who we thought he was, but on paper, the Clippers had Kawhi, Playoff P, two 6MOY, Pat Beverly and a whole lot of PR, including NBA podcast world going hard for them -- mostly because they liked Kawhi blowing up free agency 2019. Kawhi not going to the Lakers seemed to throw LAL in a tailspin, except it turns out Pelinka is a good-ass GM.

 

Denver/LA should be a really great series. Pressure is clearly on the Lakers and the Nuggets get to go out and have fun. Still, Lakers in 6. Heat in 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.