On 10/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, dont care said:

When stadiums cost billions even billionaires can’t afford it and keep their other businesses afloat.

Of course they can. 

Billionaires understand how loans work.  That’s how they (or their parents) became billionaires in the first place. 

Right. When you have a billion dollars you can easily get someone else to give you another billion dollars. That's not the problem. The problem is they want to reap the rewards without paying for it, which is another way they became billionaires in the first place. 

Also stadiums don't need to cost a billion dollars. Baseball stadium design should be moving more where MLS is now. If you're in a climate like Oakland's you don't need a retractable roof like the Rangers or like you would in Vegas and you don't need 65,000 seats. I'd love to see a major league team take a minor league style design and really trick it out with about 32,000 super intimate seats.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, McCarthy said:

Right. When you have a billion dollars you can easily get someone else to give you another billion dollars. That's not the problem. The problem is they want to reap the rewards without paying for it, which is another way they became billionaires in the first place. 

Also stadiums don't need to cost a billion dollars. Baseball stadium design should be moving more where MLS is now. If you're in a climate like Oakland's you don't need a retractable roof like the Rangers or like you would in Vegas and you don't need 65,000 seats. I'd love to see a major league team take a minor league style design and really trick it out with about 32,000 super intimate seats.

That was, from my memory, the reason behind the design on PNC Park. Owners wanted an intimate ballpark that emphasised the view of the city over adding additional seats. One of the best ballparks for those reasons.

The Marlins built a low-capacity stadium that failed to fix supply and demand and cost too much money to build. I don't like going under 35,000 or over 45,000. 

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Marlins built a low-capacity stadium that failed to fix supply and demand and cost too much money to build. I don't like going under 35,000 or over 45,000. 

I don't think having a genius who spent more money on a garish barely-used contraption than most of his players helped either. 

40 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I don't think having a narcissistic idiot who spent more money on a garish barely-used contraption than most of his players helped either.

Fixed.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, dont care said:

When stadiums cost billions even billionaires can’t afford it and keep their other businesses afloat.

Stan Kroenke is building a football palace in Los Angeles on his own dime. If he can do that then whoever owns the A's should be able to build a decent ballpark in Oakland.

52 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Fixed.

Do I have to put an /s after any statement that would refer to Jeffrey Loria as a genius in anything except for being a welfare bum?

Sorry about that, @Red Comet.  I was hoping that you were being sarcastic.

Anyway, to get this thread somewhat back on topic, have any of you ever read NewBallpark.org, a blog that has spent years covering the Athletics' lengthy, difficult quest to land a replacement for the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum?  I neither am an A's fan nor have any personal connection to Northern California, but I have nonetheless been reading that blog somewhat regularly for most of the nearly fifteen years that it has existed.  Both the blog's deep, steady coverage of the political and financial intrigue that has prolonged and complicated that club's pursuit of a new home venue and the many passionate comments that many readers have made about the matters covered by that blog have been enough to draw me into being a surprisingly frequent reader.

13 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Sorry about that, @Red Comet.  I was hoping that you were being sarcastic.

Anyway, to get this thread somewhat back on topic, have any of you ever read NewBallpark.org, a blog that has spent years covering the Athletics' lengthy, difficult quest to land a replacement for the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum?  I neither am an A's fan nor have any personal connection to Northern California, but I have nonetheless been reading that blog somewhat regularly for most of the nearly fifteen years that it has existed.  Both the blog's deep, steady coverage of the political and financial intrigue that has prolonged and complicated that club's pursuit of a new home venue and the many passionate comments that many readers have made about the matters covered by that blog have been enough to draw me into being a surprisingly frequent reader.

It's all copacetic. And thank you for the rabbit hole! I wonder how Charlie Finley feels now that the city he abandoned has a far nicer stadium than the Coliseum could ever be?

Edited by Red Comet

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Stan Kroenke is building a football palace in Los Angeles on his own dime. If he can do that then whoever owns the A's should be able to build a decent ballpark in Oakland.

Stan Kroenke is worth over 8 billion, the A’s owner is worth less than 2. That’s a huge difference

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Stan Kroenke is worth over 8 billion, the A’s owner is worth less than 2. That’s a huge difference

Not necessarily, especially when in MLB you get at least 81 attempts (as of now) per year to recoup your investment.  As @Gothamite alluded to, billionaires have pretty easy access to funding when needed since they go to Goldman Sachs at virtually anytime for their core business. The Athletics make money as it is, so the books are fine, even without future revenue sharing checks coming in.  As I stated before, when the news hit in February that Gap was going to spin off Old Navy, the family's net worth is going to increase since they will get one Old Navy share for every Gap one they own and they own 43% of Gap.