Oakland Athletics Wheel of Relocation

the_fan

26 minutes ago, Joke Insurance said:

Could any of these cities be in contention?

San Antonio

Austin

El Paso

Tucson

Fresno

Inland Empire (San Bernadino/Riverside)

Salt Lake City

I'll also throw some Mexican cities into the mix:

Mexico City

Guadalajara

Monterrey

Oh, come on. 

21 minutes ago, Joke Insurance said:

San Antonio  2,550,960

Austin  2,227,083

El Paso  844,124

Tucson  1,047,279

Fresno  999,101

Inland Empire (San Bernadino/Riverside)  4,650,631

Salt Lake City  1,232,696

I added 2019 metro populations. El Paso, Tucson, Fresno & SLC are too small.

Inland Empire is too spread out. None of its cities is bigger than 330,000.

I think Austin is more likely than SA, because it is richer and growing faster.

While from the historical perspective the A's can be seen as peripatetic, the astonishing fact is that they have been in Oakland for as long as they were in Philadelphia — 54 seasons.

I am amazed by this as I recall the near certainty of their move to Denver for the 1978 season, which, had it not been averted by a lack of agreement over who was going to pay off the remainder of the lease at the Coliseum, would have rendered the A's time in Oakland shorter than their 13-year stint in Kansas City.

17 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

A's options not named Las Vegas:

Portland - ehhhh I don't think they'd build them a stadium

The Portland area has two standing proposals now for a major-league-caliber baseball park.  A few weeks ago, the Portland Diamond Project's plan for an MLB venue at the Port of Portland's Terminal 2 gained a intra-metropolitan competitor in the form of a proposal for an MLB park within a hypothetical mixed-use development in Gresham, a suburb east of Portland.  Thus, the Athletics' owners could not only play the overall Portland metro area against any other possible relocation destination and/or Oakland, but could also pit the City of Portland proper against Gresham in the battle to give the A's the most attractive ballpark offer.

Just a curveball question - what location would be the biggest surprise for the move?

Doesn't have to be one of the locations already mentioned. I'm thinking Seattle Pilots level of unexpected here.

25 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

Just a curveball question - what location would be the biggest surprise for the move?

Doesn't have to be one of the locations already mentioned. I'm thinking Seattle Pilots level of unexpected here.

Albuquerque or Reno.

31 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

Among potential surprises that are big and yet plausible, I would go with Dave Kaval and company paying off the ownerships of both the Yankees and the Mets (and maybe paying off the Phillies' ownership also) and then moving the A's to the northeast quadrant of New Jersey.  Some studies have suggested that, from a financial standpoint, the New York City and Los Angeles television markets would each be able to support three MLB teams more easily than any currently MLB-free TV market in the United States would be able to support one MLB franchise.

3 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Among potential surprises that are big and yet plausible, I would go with Dave Kaval and company paying off the ownerships of both the Yankees and the Mets (and maybe paying off the Phillies' ownership also) and then moving the A's to the northeast quadrant of New Jersey.  Some studies have suggested that, from a financial standpoint, the New York City and Los Angeles television markets would each be able to support three MLB teams more easily than any currently MLB-free TV market in the United States would be able to support one MLB franchise.

It would be quite interesting to see how the divisions would work in that scenario.  

30 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Some studies have suggested that, from a financial standpoint, the New York City and Los Angeles television markets would each be able to support three MLB teams more easily than any currently MLB-free TV market in the United States would be able to support one MLB franchise.

Los Angeles Athletics would be a special kind of messed up

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Albuquerque or Reno.

I quite like the sound of the Albuquerque Athletics.

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

I would not have thought of either of those. Guess its a crowded market, but full of possibilities.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Things could get quite messy if the A's move East to Nashville, New Jersey or the Carolinas, which I kind of want to see happen. 

Not really.  Just move the Royals to the West and potentially the Jays to the Central and you're good.

1 minute ago, DukeofChutney said:

Probably been said already but....

Athletics move to where ever and Rays then move to Oakland.

So they'd loose the A's and gain the Rays.

Oakland isn't going to suddenly pull a change of heart after a franchise leaves like Cleveland did.  Oakland has proven to be hostile towards its sports franchises so if the A's leave that market will be radioactive for decades.

14 hours ago, Joke Insurance said:

San Antonio

Austin

El Paso

Tucson

Fresno

Inland Empire (San Bernadino/Riverside)

Salt Lake City

I'll also throw some Mexican cities into the mix:

Mexico City

Guadalajara

Monterrey

People here in Tucson wont support the Dbags who are 2 hours away because they are a Phoenix team.  People here are big Red Sox, Yankee, Cub and Dodger fans.  I don't think they would support an MLB team here and if they do it would be out of spite against the Dbags who treated Tucson bad when they left the city/county holding the bag on an 8 year old spring training facility that was no longer good enough for them.  The owner that came along after Colangelo alienated Southern AZ really bad.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

LAA vs. LAA on TV, in the same division.

LAN (Angels) vs. LAT (Athletics) might work.

With that said, I think that if and when the Greater Los Angeles region gains a third MLB franchise, such a team is most likely to play home games somewhere in the Inland Empire, which appears to be isolated enough from both Los Angeles County and Orange County to deliver a more or less captive audience to that ball club.  Other possibilities that I see are Long Beach (which tried to get the Angels both when Gene Autry wanted out of Chavez Ravine in the 1960s and when Arte Moreno got antsy about the team's long-term prospects in Anaheim a few years ago), the San Fernando Valley, or even Ventura County.

Edited by Walk-Off
Added speculation as to where a third "Los Angeles" MLB team might play