MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

Can't see any team moving to Connecticut either.

The Red Sox, Yankees and Mets would all throw :censored: fits if a team was even thinking about it.

I think Connecticut could support a team, but the chances of a team coming to Connecticut are about zero because those three teams would never let it happen.

Yeah, if MLB was going to plunk a team down in the middle of other teams' territory, it wouldn't be Connecticut. Not enough upside. It would have to be some place like... oh, I don't know...

brooklyn_likenootherplace.jpg

It's right there on the tip of my tongue...

tumblr_ksklxqZBXs1qzbl1yo1_400.jpg

Some major sports-crazy metropolitan area. A place with its own civic identity and a booming population...

Welcome-to-Brooklyn-Highway-Sign.jpg

A major media outlet that could easily absorb another team...

alg_brooklyn_sign.jpg

I'll have to get back to you. :P

Nevermind that it's in the Mets and Yankees territory and they'd never allow it... Enjoy the Cyclones because it's the only team Brooklyn is going to be getting.

With money, anything is possible. Suppose a new team in Brooklyn would cede a majority of broadcast rights to the Mets/Yankees (a la MASN in Washington/Baltimore). This would allow the existing teams to either make their current broadcast deals more valuable (YES/SNY) or create a new sports network to broadcast the Brooklyn team's games (from which they would receive the majority of the proceeds).

That's not to say it will happen, merely that it's possible. IMO, more possible than seeing an MLB team in one of the half-dozen small-time markets that keep getting mentioned.

Nevermind that it's in the Mets and Yankees territory and they'd never allow it... Enjoy the Cyclones because it's the only team Brooklyn is going to be getting.

With money, anything is possible. Suppose a new team in Brooklyn would cede a majority of broadcast rights to the Mets/Yankees (a la MASN in Washington/Baltimore). This would allow the existing teams to either make their current broadcast deals more valuable (YES/SNY) or create a new sports network to broadcast the Brooklyn team's games (from which they would receive the majority of the proceeds).

That's not to say it will happen, merely that it's possible. IMO, more possible than seeing an MLB team in one of the half-dozen small-time markets that keep getting mentioned.

I don't think so. You don't cede television rights in the modern era as that's where a large chunk of your revenue comes from.

Broadcast territory only matters when teams claim media markets outside their city but without teams of their own. Case in point the Orioles and Washington. Local clubs share without problem: Dodgers/Angels in LA, Cubs/White Sox in Chicago, Yankees/Mets/Rays in New York.

Keep in mind, I wasn't seriously suggesting that the Rays could, should or will be moved to Brooklyn. I was responding to the notion that they could be moved to Connecticut.

New Jersey would make more sense than Brooklyn if they are going to invade the Mets and Yankees territory.

Jersey makes even less sense than Connecticut. :P

New Jersey would make more sense than Brooklyn if they are going to invade the Mets and Yankees territory.

Possibly the Phillies' territory, too.

I'd love for an MLB team to move to Vancouver or Montreal. The likelihood of either happening seems slim, though.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_and_Canadian_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

The only unserved metro larger than Tampa Bay is, of all places, Montreal!

I didn't realize metro Toronto was smaller than metro Detroit. Thought the GTA would be #7 or #8. Maybe it depends on whether you count Hamilton, Kitchener, etc.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think so. You don't cede television rights in the modern era as that's where a large chunk of your revenue comes from.

1.) There's precedent in the Washington/Baltimore situation. It's been done before.

2.) New York might be the one market where even a 40% stake in TV rights would be worth more than a 100% stake in TV rights elsewhere.

3.) If it's the only way to get a third team in the New York market and MLB/Yankees/Mets want it to happen (ie, it's profitable for all parties), they'll likely find a way to make it happen.

1.) There's precedent in the Washington/Baltimore situation. It's been done before.

2.) New York might be the one market where even a 40% stake in TV rights would be worth more than a 100% stake in TV rights elsewhere.

3.) If it's the only way to get a third team in the New York market and MLB/Yankees/Mets want it to happen (ie, it's profitable for all parties), they'll likely find a way to make it happen.

In the Washington-Baltimore situation, Peter Angelos was very adamant that any team moving into "his territory" would have to compensate him in some way, thus the situation with the MASN ownership. From my understanding, the Nationals' ownership stake in MASN increases by one percent each year up to 20 percent. Seeing that Washington is a bigger television market than Baltimore, the Nats' MASN stake as it stands is very valuable.

As to point 3...you should also count in Madison Square Garden in wanting a third NYC-area team, solely because they need the summer programming for their networks, besides Red Bulls and Liberty games.

The Red Sox fan in me is all "MUHAHAHAHAHA" but the sane person in me is all "Man. If they relocate, I really feel for those fans. They battled through all the crap this team put up for the first 10 years of its existence, getting to see their fandom start to pay off with a winning product on the turf, only to see it taken away from them because there were too few of them. That sucks for them".

If the team does move, I'm rooting for a return to Montreal and Brooklyn.

spacer.png

• 7 months later...

Post any news whenever it comes about the Oakland Athletics possible relocation. Bump this thread if new news arrives later on.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

Post any news whenever it comes about the Oakland Athletics possible relocation. Bump this thread if new news arrives later on.

There is no news about the A's possible relocation because no one is actually talking about the A's relocating. Selig made an off the cuff comment that the press then ran in a thousand different directions with and sensationalized the hell out of. End of story. The A's aren't moving anywhere outside their current Bay Area home, have no interest in doing so, and MLB has not approved any such move. End of story.