MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

Omaha - Too small, I think.

Montreal - While I would love to see the Expos again, I'd rather it not be as an AL team.

Orlando - I would rather see the Rays leave Florida.

San Antonio - Three teams in Texas?

Portland - AAA left because of player apathy

Las Vegas - Objectively the best choice. I never understood the whole fear of Vegas, considering that gambling could just as easily corrupt any team.

Charlotte - Habitually incapable of supporting teams.

Nashville - I think that Memphis might be a better choice. Anyhow, baseball in underrepresented in the American South.

Newark - Like the Mets don't have enough problems.

Long shots - I would like to see a team in Mexico or PR... but I don't see it happening.

Raleigh/Durham is another option.

Raleigh might be an option. Durham isn't.

nav-logo.png

I think the Marlins are pretty safe. They won 2 WS titles and were 18th in attendance last year.

Please read:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/01/3537432/marlins-attendance-reverts-to.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/02/3538576/an-interactive-look-at-the-marlins.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Marlins are pretty safe. They won 2 WS titles and were 18th in attendance last year.

Then Loria went Loria and sold off the roster for Jeff Mathis and some magic beans. Now they're 29th in attendance (27th by percentage of capacity). I agree that their new stadium will keep the Marlins in town in the short term.

Yikes. I didn't want to use this year's attendance to back up my statement, but this situation isn't going to clean up.

So, you didn't want to use relevant facts to back up something you said. Makes sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yikes. I didn't want to use this year's attendance to back up my statement, but this situation isn't going to clean up.

So, you didn't want to use relevant facts to back up something you said. Makes sense.

Well the relevant facts are these:

1. Marlins Park is 1 year old

2. Loria cannot sell the team until 2015 without giving a chunk of it back to the city of Miami.

I don't think that Loria is even leasing the stadium... I cannot find any information on lease terms for the stadium. In either case, Loria is pocketing literally every dollar than comes into the park. It's not as if he's going to get a sweeter deal anywhere else. The Marlins are staying put for the foreseeable future.

It's not that the facts weren't irrelevant, rather incomplete.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I've been a Pirates fan all of my life. I have relatives down there so I am a Bucs fan. As I visited over the years and took in baseball games, I started to like the Rays because they were in the AL (never faced the Pirates), were built similar to the Pirates, and stood up to the big dogs in Boston and New York. They filled a very big void that the Pirates give every year (heck, I was two when they won the WS and in middle school last playoff). As I tour Tampa or St. Pete, there is so much to do rather than go to a baseball game, but when I go into their stadium and think two things 1) what a dump and 2) how empty it is for a pretty successful team *unless it's filled with Sox or Yankee fans. From what I know, the mayor (or anyone for that matter) doesn't want to be the one who loses a sports team...instead of letting them go across the bay and be successful there. I don't think Bud Selig is getting involved to save Tampa Bay. I think he's getting involved to break a lease and see which city wants the Rays. Selig caters to the big markets...LA, Boston, NY and to Milwaukee. Anyone else is just for them to go out and watch a baseball game and spend money. I hope he and the city of St. Pete prove me wrong. It's a tough sports area because of so many transplants there who follow their own teams. I think they can be good with an established fanbase as kids actually liking players like Longo and Price and being raised with them. The kids here in Pittsburgh weren't alive to see a good team and the stadium is full of fairweather fans now. It's a bunch of tools who flash the Zoltan or do the sharktank thing. It's not people who had to watch Derek Bell or Kevin Young for all those years.

KISSwall09.jpg

How about Buffalo? I've read an article a while ago that Buffalo was seeking an MLB team around 25 years ago, and they used the successes of the Bisons as proof. But MLB decided that they city was "too small of a market," and elected to give new franchises to Miami and Denver, instead (the eventual Marlins and Rockies).

Why can't Buffalo be an option for the Rays today? I don't exactly have detail on the Bisons today, but it would certainly help travel arrangements for the AL East teams.

They Should Move To either San Antonio, Montreal or even Oklahoma City

Such fine jockular analysis here.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about Buffalo? I've read an article a while ago that Buffalo was seeking an MLB team around 25 years ago, and they used the successes of the Bisons as proof. But MLB decided that they city was "too small of a market," and elected to give new franchises to Miami and Denver, instead (the eventual Marlins and Rockies).

Why can't Buffalo be an option for the Rays today? I don't exactly have detail on the Bisons today, but it would certainly help travel arrangements for the AL East teams.

Is this a serious post?

• Like 1
OldRomanSig2.jpg