Jump to content

Oakland Athletics Wheel of Relocation


the_fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

 

 

1 vote against - 0 votes for...

 

7 members of the council yet to make their position known. Of course we've yet to find out what they're actually going to vote on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, the A's just landed on the receiving end of yet another bad piece of news, of their own making regarding their half assed treatment of their minor leaguers in Stockton  just hours before the Oakland vote.

 

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Exclusive-Most-Oakland-A-s-single-A-players-in-16323267.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Mobile)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

 

Even the Astros, loathesome as they can be seen, aren't hanging their Single A guys out to dry like this...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Meanwhile, the A's just landed on the receiving end of yet another bad piece of news, of their own making regarding their half assed treatment of their minor leaguers in Stockton  just hours before the Oakland vote.

 

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Exclusive-Most-Oakland-A-s-single-A-players-in-16323267.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Mobile)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

 

Even the Astros, loathesome as they can be seen, aren't hanging their Single A guys out to dry like this...

I was just told about something similar by a friend who's former player (he's a high school coach) is playing A ball in Peoria (Cardinals organization).  He said the players prefer road trips because they lose money at home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I was just told about something similar by a friend who's former player (he's a high school coach) is playing A ball in Peoria (Cardinals organization).  He said the players prefer road trips because they lose money at home.

 

That's pretty pathetic. I wonder how many organizations are doing it. Of course being a local SF Bay Area article they don't elaborate on the other teams beyond the Astros. But the implication was that most are doing right by their players, similar to the A's recent food for MiLBers fiasco. Clearly the Cardinals aren't one of them if what your friend is saying is true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

That's pretty pathetic. I wonder how many organizations are doing it. Of course being a local SF Bay Area article they don't elaborate on the other teams beyond the Astros. But the implication was that most are doing right by their players, similar to the A's recent food for MiLBers fiasco. Clearly the Cardinals aren't one of them if what your friend is saying is true. 

Depends on when his friend, the former player, played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully this keeps them in town. The way A's ownership has been dragging their heels on everything indicates to me they're trying to pull a Stan Kroenke "fight and say no until they give up and let you :censored: off to a new market" tactic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Hopefully this keeps them in town. The way A's ownership has been dragging their heels on everything indicates to me they're trying to pull a Stan Kroenke "fight and say no until they give up and let you :censored: off to a new market" tactic.

 

I mean it's not what the A's wanted. It's good they voted yes, but they voted yes on something the A's have already told them is a "no". So really all the city has voted to do is continue negotiations from their side. The A's on the other hand have said this was a no. Whether they stick to that or if they come back to the table *shrug* who knows. But it's not the term sheet the A's had asked them to vote on and they're still almost $400 million apart. 

 

To say nothing of still needing the county's buy in on the TIF financing that the city just rejected in their term sheet. In any case the A's are going to Las Vegas for another scouting trip tomorrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's kinda crazy seeing a city lose its viability to host major pro sports teams. I'm pretty sure a city that has hosted a team in all four major sports has never lost all of them like Oakland might. The closest I can think of is San Diego, but you'd have to count the short-lived Mariners in the WHA  just to get to three different major leagues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oakland lost the Raiders, the Warriors and the minor league indoor football team that hasnt even played yet. The fact that they are close to losing the A's tells me that the city just isnt trying hard enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

#*&%  Dave Kaval, #*&% John Fisher, #*&% the A's, and #*&% Major League Baseball.

If I'm Oakland Mayor Libby Schaff and the Oakland City Council, I'm telling ownership and management of the Oakland Athletics that they have until 5:00 PM PST on July 30, 2021 to accept the proposed term sheet that the council approved today, or get cracking on finalizing a stadium deal elsewhere.

After all, good ol' "Take It or Leave It" Kaval and the A's brass must have a surefire, ironclad, can't miss ballpark deal all sewn up someplace else by now, right? Otherwise, why would they so confidently be holding a "gun" to the collective head of Oakland's municipal leaders and rather cockily demanding, "Approve our term sheet exactly as we've unilaterally drawn it up, or we're 'pulling the trigger' on a relocation."?

The A's presented their proposed term sheet and insisted that it be voted upon exactly as presented. So, call their bluff, Oakland. Let's see how quickly a ballpark deal can be finalized in Las Vegas, Henderson, or Summerlin. Or is the new home of the A's going to be located in Charlotte, Montréal, Nashville, Portland, or Vancouver? You know, I hear Michelle Willard with the Greater Sacramento Economic Council is willing to take their call.

#*&% 'em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Oakland lost the Raiders, the Warriors and the minor league indoor football team that hasnt even played yet. The fact that they are close to losing the A's tells me that the city just isnt trying hard enough.

 

That's an interesting take considering all that's transpired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

It's kinda crazy seeing a city lose its viability to host major pro sports teams. I'm pretty sure a city that has hosted a team in all four major sports has never lost all of them like Oakland might. The closest I can think of is San Diego, but you'd have to count the short-lived Mariners in the WHA  just to get to three different

major leagues


Yeah I don’t count the Mariners. And of course San Diego hasn’t lost the Padres. There are a couple cities that have lost teams in 3 but never 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

There are a couple cities that have lost teams in 3 but never 4.


St. Louis has lost four NFL teams, an NHL club, a single MLB franchise,  and a pair of NBA teams.

The St. Louis All-Stars folded after the 1923 NFL season. The St. Louis Gunners played three games as a replacement for the Cincinnati Reds during the NFL's 1934 season, then promptly suspended operations. The St. Louis Cardinals relocated to Arizona following the NFL's 1987 campaign. The St. Louis Rams returned to Los Angeles after the 2015 NFL season.

The NHL's St. Louis Eagles folded following the 1934-35 season.

The AL's St. Louis Browns relocated to Baltimore in the wake of the 1953 season.

The St. Louis Bombers folded after the 1949-50 NBA season. The St. Louis Hawks relocated to Atlanta following the league's 1967-68 season.

And those eight franchise losses don't even take into account the folding of the ABA's Spirits of St. Louis as part of the NBA-ABA merger in 1976 and the relocation of the NASL's St. Louis Stars to Anaheim in the wake of the 1977 season.





 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:


St. Louis has lost four NFL teams, an NHL club, a single MLB franchise, and a pair of NBA teams.

The St. Louis All-Stars folded after the 1923 NFL season. The St. Louis Gunners played three games as a replacement for the Cincinnati Reds during the NFL's 1934 season, then promptly suspended operations. The St. Louis Cardinals relocated to Arizona following the NFL's 1987 campaign. The St. Louis Rams returned to Los Angeles after the 2015 NFL season.

The NHL's St. Louis Eagles folded following the 1934-35 season.

The AL's St. Louis Browns relocated to Baltimore in the wake of the 1953 season.

The St. Louis Bombers folded after the 1949-50 NBA season. The St. Louis Hawks relocated to Atlanta following the league's 1967-68 season.





 

 

The city still has the Cardinals and Blues though. Oakland is headed towards losing every team they've had and not being able to support any new ones in the future

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

It's kinda crazy seeing a city lose its viability to host major pro sports teams. I'm pretty sure a city that has hosted a team in all four major sports has never lost all of them like Oakland might. The closest I can think of is San Diego, but you'd have to count the short-lived Mariners in the WHA  just to get to three different major leagues

 

San Diego still has the Padres, who are playing well.  They may no longer be in the NFL, but they can still call themselves a major league sports city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

San Diego still has the Padres, who are playing well.  They may no longer be in the NFL, but they can still call themselves a major league sports city.

 

Yeah by three leagues I meant the WHA, NFL, and NBA (Clippers and Rockets)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

 

The city still has the Cardinals and Blues though. Oakland is headed towards losing every team they've had and not being able to support any new ones in the future


And they’re about to have MLS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.