MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I don't think a new stadium will fix the rays problem at all. Based on what happend in Miami, I don't believe a new stadium will always solve attendance problems. I feel like a possible market other than Montreal on the upswing currently would be Sacramento; nice metro area, only the kings to compete with, and a stadium that could be expanded to MLB standards if needed. However i view this as an alternate option to the A's stadium fiasco, because 3 NorCal teams might be pushing it.

• Like 1

SIG.png

I mean, sure, Omaha would be an unorthodox move. Tampa's set such a low bar, though, that it's hard to imagine them not being a step up. Even if it's only a 5 to 10 year stop gap until a larger metro area goes looking for a team.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

7 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I mean, sure, Omaha would be an unorthodox move. Tampa's set such a low bar, though, that it's hard to imagine them not being a step up. Even if it's only a 5 to 10 year stop gap until a larger metro area goes looking for a team.

No team is going to be allowed to relocate for only 5 or 10 years.  They'll stay put unless they get a stadium deal somewhere, which will carry with it at least a 20 year lease. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No team is going to be allowed to relocate for only 5 or 10 years.  They'll stay put unless they get a stadium deal somewhere, which will carry with it at least a 20 year lease. 

I was never saying they get terms for that short of a stay. I was saying that attendance would hold out for about that long, at the very least. If it did tank, which I'm not convinced it would, they could reasses then.

This is only under the assumption that they can't find another city to build or expand a park. I don't really think staying in Tampa is a good bet.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

10 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

I don't think a new stadium will fix the rays problem at all. Based on what happend in Miami, I don't believe a new stadium will always solve attendance problems. I feel like a possible market other than Montreal on the upswing currently would be Sacramento; nice metro area, only the kings to compete with, and a stadium that could be expanded to MLB standards if needed. However i view this as an alternate option to the A's stadium fiasco, because 3 NorCal teams might be pushing it.

Miami is a bad measuring stick because while the Marlins got a brand new stadium, it's location still hinders it much like Tropicana Field and the Rays.

The population (and money) in the Miami area is a little bit north in Broward County so if Marlins Park was built a little further north and optimized it's location that may have helped overall.

50 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I was never saying they get terms for that short of a stay. I was saying that attendance would hold out for about that long, at the very least. If it did tank, which I'm not convinced it would, they could reasses then.

But it doesn't work that way.  If it did then the Rays would already be gone. 

11 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

Sacramento doesn't have a stadium that can be expanded to MLB standards :/

Not to mention they blew their public funding wad on the Kings and Republic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Republic's stadium is privately financed.  As they all should be. 

Stadium is true, but there are infrastructure items around the stadium the city will be footing. They weren't the bulk of the "wad blowing" I was referring to earlier though, the Kings were the majority of that. But there certainly isn't enough left to build a new MLB park. And unlike what was suggested, there is no park that can be upgraded to MLB standards (for some reason there's this myth that has persisted for over a decade that Raley Field across the river in West Sacramento can somehow be upgraded to MLB standards)

I will take your word on Raley Field; I honestly know nothing about it.  But it's important to note that the relatively few infrastructure improvements around the site do not in any way equal public funding for the Republic's new stadium.

I have a passionate hatred for public financing of stadiums. Infrastructure here and there is the very job of a municipality.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

The population (and money) in the Miami area is a little bit north in Broward County so if Marlins Park was built a little further north and optimized it's location that may have helped overall.

Wayne Huizenga checking in. Maybe they should have built it near Sawgrass Mills, that's worked out!

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mean, Little Havana isn't a perfect location (the AAA has that), but it's the old Orange Bowl site, so it's not as if it's unthinkable for people to go there for sports. It's about a mile northwest of downtown Miami. It's fine. And Broward is so developed at this point that who knows where you could even plop down a stadium.

btw the money is even more serious up around Boca Raton and Palm Beach but I wouldn't put a stadium there either

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I will take your word on Raley Field; I honestly know nothing about it.  But it's important to note that the relatively few infrastructure improvements around the site do not in any way equal public funding for the Republic's new stadium.

I have a passionate hatred for public financing of stadiums. Infrastructure here and there is the very job of a municipality.  

The Raley Field thing has been discussed here quite a few times. It should come up in a search as I believe once I linked to the A's ballpark blog with the quotes from somebody the RiverCats regarding the construction.

Sacramento's only an option for an A's relocation if the new Oakland project falls through.  I don't see Nor Cal supporting three teams when the most populated city up there is stuck in territorial rights limbo.

Plus, Sacramento, being in the Central Valley, probably needs a roof because weather-wise it can fluctuate from 110ºF to blinding fog that closes the airport.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

I went to the Braves game last night, and was chatting it up with these two guys that were next to us.  He was from Tampa, so naturally the Rays and their ballpark came up.  He had a couple of interesting tidbits:

1. Apparently the Rays people are in communication with the Braves about how they were able to come up with stadium location and all that fun stuff.  (So I guess this goes in line with whatever the Rays planned on discussing come this offseason...wasn't there something about the Rays and stadium plans coming this December?)

2. The population of St. Petersburg has gone up in the last five years, though it remains the poorer city between them and Tampa.

3. The desire seems to be for a retractable roof, because this is Florida in the summertime.

12 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Miami is a bad measuring stick because while the Marlins got a brand new stadium, it's location still hinders it much like Tropicana Field and the Rays.

Miami-Dade has 2.6 million people to Broward's 1.9 million. Adding Palm Beach's population to Broward's is unrealistic because no one in their right mind will consistently drive 20 miles down to downtown Fort Lauderdale. The Marlins basically tried being in the geographic center of a metro area 70 miles long and it did not work out. The Marlins made the right move in moving closer to the urban core of Miami-Dade County. Downtown Miami is the largest and fastest growing of the three urban cores in South Fla. Redevelopment is already pushing up the river and into Little Havana a couple blocks from where the stadium is. There was a time in the 90s that many believed downtown Fort Lauderdale would overtake Miami as the most important urban hub. I think that argument is dead and buried.

1997 | 2003