MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I could see a share like Montreal and San Juan worked in the 2000s, but this will not work full time.

I dont want to lose the Rays, and have set my personal expectations that over the next 5-6 years it will only get worse before it gets better.  Montreal to the Rays is what Tampa Bay/St Pete was to places like Seattle, San Francisco, and Chicago in the 90s.  Its the threat of actual relocation that causes movement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Not only will fans hate it, but imagine how terrible this would be for the players and employees of the organization. Imagine having to move your family 1500 miles away to a different country in the middle of the baseball season.

This....all this.  Players union will hate this type of scenario.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

This is 100% a negotiating tactic, I think, but the idea isn't really that far from workable. If you want an outside park in Montreal and are concerned about early-season weather, just have the team play 3 or 4 home series in wherever their Spring Training park is, then have "home" Opening Day in May or whatever. Home slate of 69ish games, which is fine and balances the need to have a clear home city with scheduling concerns (and also keeping something as egregiously stupid as this from happening).

Even a weaker players’ union would tell MLB and Stu to get bent with this idea. One of the biggest themes I noticed when researching the Expos’ San Juan games was how thoroughly the players hated it. No way that this gets approved.

It’s stadium blackmail after the Ybor City failure.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

This just seems like an unworkable situation.  Teams have played parts of the schedules in other cities before (White Sox in Milwaukee, Expos in San Juan, Bullets in Baltimore, Dodgers in Jersey City). Teams have also shared/rotated among cities (Virginia Squires, Floridians, Carolina Cougars, Kansas City-Omaha Kings).  However, the latter situations all involved either one primary city (more or less) and/or teams with some regional/geographic connection (usually being within one state).  This would involve a team playing in two cities located about 1,500 miles apart with no apparent/realistic connection.

If you're a fan in Florida, it seems like it would be difficult to retain an attachment to a team that you know won't be in town for the home stretch of any playoff race.  Meanwhile, if you're a fan in Quebec, you know you won't be able to watch your team in person for several months of the season.

It would HAVE to be a blended split, or one where one team remains primary (probably TB).  

This reminds me of the Jaguars proposal to half relocate to London a few years back, where they would have a "US base" in Jacksonville and play their playoff and primetime games there, and every other game in London. It was dumb then, and it's still dumb now.

• Like 5

ExJworW.png

This is so transparent, and also pretty creative.

This is just a fresh application of a club using another market as leverage for a new stadium, only this time they're hoping to do it while becoming the anti-Kroenkes.

The Rays have yet to come up with a suitable stadium situation that they can finance. So instead of threatening to leave, the come up with this completely bonkers two-city scenario in which they'd have to develop not one, BUT TWO new stadiums. When the Tampa one inevitably fails to materialize, they'll at least be able to say "we tried our best, Tampa." 

It's crazy and brilliant all at the same time.

• Like 3

Why stop at Tampa and Montreal? Let's throw Charlotte, Las Vegas, Mexico City, Nashville, Portland, and Vancouver into the mix. After all, imagine how sought after tickets would be if a Major League Baseball team's 81-game home schedule was divided amongst eight home markets? Think about the ticket scarcity when your team is only in town for ten* "home" games a season!

I give you... The Bingo Sternberg Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings!!!

* Whichever market sells out its guaranteed ten game regular-season ticket inventory the quickest is awarded the opportunity... to foist the 81st "home" date of the season onto one of the other seven cities.       

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

The telling thing here is that MLB is saying baseball in Tampa Bay can't work out even with a new stadium.  Yikes.

On top of that, they're also saying they don't fully believe in Montreal's ability to support a team.

They've somehow found a solution that's made both Rays fans and old/potential Expos fans angry. Now that's a yikes.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Even a weaker players’ union would tell MLB and Stu to get bent with this idea. One of the biggest themes I noticed when researching the Expos’ San Juan games was how thoroughly the players hated it. No way that this gets approved.

It’s stadium blackmail after the Ybor City failure.

Yep. Tampa just inaugurated its new mayor last month, so it's putting pressure on her to adjust her opinion on tax payer funds for it. Then again, the county is needed more and the Hillsborough County tax rate is now 8.5%, the highest in the state

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Not only will fans hate it, but how terrible would this be for the players and employees of the organization? Imagine having to move your family 1500 miles away to a different country in the middle of the baseball season.

Pretty sure all the spouses and kids would stay in Tampa if they live there at all.

It's not unusual for players to maintain primary residences far away from the city they play in. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Let Jeter and Co. take the Marlins wherever and move the Rays personnel (Players, Ownership, FO, etc) to Miami to become the “new” Marlins. They at least have a well run organization and thus may be the only hope of saving baseball in Florida. And the league can’t abandon Miami altogether after finally getting a new stadium. This way the better of the two is playing in it and fans will finally have a reason to show up and watch.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Yep. Tampa just inaugurated its new mayor last month, so it's putting pressure on her to adjust her opinion on tax payer funds for it. Then again, the county is needed more and the Hillsborough County tax rate is now 8.5%, the highest in the state

If taxes are used, I’d say it’s highly unlikely it’ll be sales tax.  There are hotel taxes and other tourist taxes that would likely be targeted.

The Buccaneers burned any chance of using sales tax back in the mid 90s

I like the idea of the Rays merging with the Marlins, rebrand to back to the Florida Marlins and play home games throughout the state -- Tampa Bay, Orlando, Miami, etc. That's the only way I see Florida baseball working. They can't carry the load of a 162 game season.

With the extra spot -- I'd then expand to Montreal.

• Like 5

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

34 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

This reminds me of the Jaguars proposal to half relocate to London a few years back, where they would have a "US base" in Jacksonville and play their playoff and primetime games there, and every other game in London. It was dumb then, and it's still dumb now.

Didn't the Jaguars end up reducing their London games to one?