MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

3 minutes ago, kimball said:

I like the idea of the Rays merging with the Marlins, rebrand to back to the Florida Marlins and play home games throughout the state -- Tampa Bay, Orlando, Miami, etc. That's the only way I see Florida baseball working. They can't carry the load of a 162 game season.

With the extra spot -- I'd then expand to Montreal.

At that point, there’d be no sense of merging and expanding, but rather just relocating one of the two.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The telling thing here is that MLB is saying baseball in Tampa Bay can't work out even with a new stadium.  Yikes.

My suspicion is that neither the Rays ownership nor Major League Baseball actually expects this scenario to play out as described. It's a long and complicated scheme to solve the league's Tampa problem, bring baseball back to Montreal, and finally start Manfred's long-awaited league expansion process. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

My suspicion is that neither the Rays ownership nor Major League Baseball actually expects this scenario to play out as described. It's a long and complicated scheme to solve the league's Tampa problem, bring baseball back to Montreal, and finally start Manfred's long-awaited league expansion process. 

Once Tampa solves their stadium issue, MLB isn't going to expand.  They won't until Oakland solves their own stadium issues.

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Once Tampa solves their stadium issue, MLB isn't going to expand.  They won't until Oakland solves their own stadium issues.

From the sounds of it, Oakland is on far firmer ground than they've ever been. Their waterfront ballpark plan still has skeptics, but it's gaining in public support. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/philmatier/article/Oakland-council-taking-its-time-wants-answers-13969521.php?psid=aQkeR

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Didn't the Jaguars end up reducing their London games to one? 

They've always had one London game since the program started. However, one year (IIRC, 2012), there was a proposal to have the Jaguars become a dual-city team - they would have a "base" in Jacksonville so that players, coaches, etc. wouldn't have to live in the UK (and thus pay UK taxes), while also playing primetime and playoff games there (they would never be able to have a night game in London due to the time difference, and teams wouldn't have to make the jump across the Atlantic if the Jaguars ever had a home playoff game). All other games would be in London.

I'm pretty sure that the Jaguars at least considered it before the idea fell through.

ExJworW.png

34 minutes ago, McCall said:

Let Jeter and Co. take the Marlins wherever and move the Rays personnel (Players, Ownership, FO, etc) to Miami to become the “new” Marlins. They at least have a well run organization and thus may be the only hope of saving baseball in Florida. And the league can’t abandon Miami altogether after finally getting a new stadium. This way the better of the two is playing in it and fans will finally have a reason to show up and watch.

16 minutes ago, kimball said:

I like the idea of the Rays merging with the Marlins, rebrand to back to the Florida Marlins and play home games throughout the state -- Tampa Bay, Orlando, Miami, etc. That's the only way I see Florida baseball working. They can't carry the load of a 162 game season.

Step 1: Move the Marlins to Montreal.

Step 2: Split the Rays between Tampa Bay and Miami.

Step 3: The Florida Rays.

OR

Step 1: Move the Rays to Montreal.

Step 2: Split the Marlins between Miami and Tampa Bay.

Step 3: The Florida Marlins.

OR

Step 1: Move the Rays or Marlins to Montreal.

Step 2: Move whichever team is left to Orlando.

Step 3: The Florida Rays or the Florida Marlins.

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Beyond the physical logistics of this hair-brained scheme, how would you even start the branding discussion? You've got two cities each with legacy franchise brands. Would Montreal really support a team not called the Expos, if it came to that? This whole thing is just mind-boggling.

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

From the sounds of it, Oakland is on far firmer ground than they've ever been. Their waterfront ballpark plan still has skeptics, but it's gaining in public support. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/philmatier/article/Oakland-council-taking-its-time-wants-answers-13969521.php?psid=aQkeR

It may be farther along, but it's not a done deal, far from it and things could easily go south. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Huh.....Tampa spent most of the 80's trying to lure Major League Baseball to their city.  They finally get one in 1998 and two decades later, that team wants out. 

Morsani and Dodge didn’t foresee MLB teams blue-balling the market and the failure of sales. Dodge had no backup for when Reinsdorf kept the White Sox in Chicago, forcing the construction of The Trop in a terrible location. Nobody outside of the expansion committees and groups could predict the thorough implosion of the Tampa Bay bids for the 1993 expansion. MLB’s TV contract issues and local politics prevented the Mariners and Giants from moving in 1992. Nobody knew that Vince Naimoli would ruin the team’s initial run, leading to the continued failure of the Rays to gain ground.

This market seemed like a sure-fire thing back in the day. Of course, MLB teams, Tampa Bay Area owners, and St. Pete politicians screwed it hard.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Step 1: Move the Rays or Marlins to Montreal.

Step 2: Move whichever team is left to Orlando.

Step 3: The Florida Rays or the Florida Marlins.

Good luck getting the city/county/state to pay for anything, since they just built the Amway Center, Dr. Phillips Center (a theater), and did major renovations to the Citrus Bowl with public money. Orlando City tried to get tax dollars to build OC Stadium and got hard rejected.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

3 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Good luck getting the city/county/state to pay for anything, since they just built the Amway Center, Dr. Phillips Center (a theater), and did major renovations to the Citrus Bowl with public money. Orlando City tried to get tax dollars to build OC Stadium and got hard rejected.

Didn't Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life/Hard Rock Stadium go through major renovations when the Marlins left?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Didn't Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life/Hard Rock Stadium go through major renovations when the Marlins left?

Yes, but I'm not sure if the state paid for it. I was just listing Orlando examples that I know.

ExJworW.png

44 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

On top of that, they're also saying they don't fully believe in Montreal's ability to support a team.

They've somehow found a solution that's made both Rays fans and old/potential Expos fans angry. Now that's a yikes.

That could be the plan all along to put a kibosh to the notion of bringing baseball back to Montreal. This team will eventually be in Nashville or Vegas . 

2 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

That could be the plan all along to put a kibosh to the notion of bringing baseball back to Montreal. This team will eventually be in Nashville or Vegas

This does not need to happen.  They already have the NHL, the NFL is coming and they are going after an MLS team.  Vegas doesn't need to go from 0 pro teams in 2015 to potentially 4 by 2021. 

• Like 3