MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I heard on the radio yesterday that the Rays are going to put their $150 million up right at the start instead of over the original yearly increment plan. I hope this gets done. Looks like it could be an awesome stadium and the Rays have great young talent, should make for a fun atmosphere. My soon to be wife, only 3 months left of the single life, is looking to doing her residence in Tampa and I need some major league ball back in my life.

Interesting design, hopefully they actually build this. As the author mentioned Florida would probably be a nice place for a stadium. Yet the state's two teams own perhaps the two worst stadiums in the bigs. It would certainly make it easier to watch Devil Rays games on tv (I hate watching the O's play either @ Tampa or Toronto. The domes are kinda depressing.)

I have no hate for the Trop. But maybe I've always been partial to it because it was the old home of the Bolts. I guess it did make a better hockey arena than a baseball stadium. :P

Hopefully it doesn't kill the St. Pete Grand Prix. It would have to be re-routed though. (Maybe past my apartment! W00t)

Anything is better than the abandoned Home Depot the currently play in.

Though it seems the sole focus in the outfield is on the Hoist Tower. Looks like they didn't spend much time thinking about anything else out there. Just some seats thrown in place and a generic scoreboard in left. I really hope they get this done, but also that they spend a little time to make it look good.

What are the consequences of having a white roof while playing baseball? I can only think about what they originally tried to do in the Astrodome. White baseball plus white roof equals dropped baseballs.

I think the roof is retractable. So it would only really be a problem during bad weather.

Plus the current Trop as a white roof.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting design, hopefully they actually build this. As the author mentioned Florida would probably be a nice place for a stadium. Yet the state's two teams own perhaps the two worst stadiums in the bigs. It would certainly make it easier to watch Devil Rays games on tv (I hate watching the O's play either @ Tampa or Toronto. The domes are kinda depressing.)

The Rogers Centre is awesome when the roof is open. It's like a real ball park, I've been there live on a sunny day and it's awesome.

Now we need Cisco Field to go through in Oakland and then we can close the book on the cookie cutter dual sport stadiums in baseball. Except for Toronto, which I don't think they have any plans to build a new stadium anytime soon. I can live with the Rogers Center though.

I never considered the Rogers Centre cookie-cutter... the giant restaurant in centrefield and the hotel built all around the scoreboard save it from cookie-cutter status.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Now we need Cisco Field to go through in Oakland and then we can close the book on the cookie cutter dual sport stadiums in baseball. Except for Toronto, which I don't think they have any plans to build a new stadium anytime soon. I can live with the Rogers Center though.

I never considered the Rogers Centre cookie-cutter... the giant restaurant in centrefield and the hotel built all around the scoreboard save it from cookie-cutter status.

I wouldn't mind seeing them kind of "spruce" up the sort of bland blue walls. But, mainly, they need to cut the infield as if it were a grass field, like Tampa Bay does. The dirt only around the bases just looks bad nowadays. Once Minnesota has their new park, Toronto would be the last ones with this type of field cut. It's time for it to go.

I wouldn't mind seeing them kind of "spruce" up the sort of bland blue walls. But, mainly, they need to cut the infield as if it were a grass field, like Tampa Bay does. The dirt only around the bases just looks bad nowadays. Once Minnesota has their new park, Toronto would be the last ones with this type of field cut. It's time for it to go.

So if they're the only one in the league doing so, wouldn't that be the opposite of "cookie-cutter"?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram