MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Blue is Milwaukee's sporting color, though, and has been for over a hundred years.  Even the Bucks recently added it.  Not to mention that they're the True Blue Brew Crew.  Ditching blue is about the only thing they cannot do.

Meh. The Bucks have been a primarily dark green (with red as a secondary color) team since their inception. Blue has always been part of the Brewers scheme, sure, but the shade has been really inconsistent. They even had a stretch in the mid 90s where green was emphasized about as much as blue was. I understand that Brewers fans might be nostalgic for returning to a "true blue" look, but I don't quite recognize blue as being an absolutely crucial part of their identity in the way it has been for the Cubs or Dodgers.This sentiment comes from the inconsistency in shade. They seem to have spent more years as a dark blue/navy team than a "true blue" team. Given the choice of two blues, I actually think navy is a better color for them.

But again, as an outsider, I totally empathize with Brewers fans who want a throwback, lighter "true" blue look. I feel as if Marlins fans are in a similar situation with teal in the sense that outsiders might not "get" the nostalgia for it. That aside, I don't think that the Brewers had much worth preserving in the 80s outside of perhaps the BiG logo. But I admire the BiG much more conceptually than I do aesthetically, anyway.

Navy blue is still blue to me. And I've said several times that I feel both shades have their own merits as the Brewers color. It also stands that the BiG looks far less "cartoony" in navy, which I know is some people's criticism of it.

I'm more concerned about the Brewers moving back to a proper athletic gold. Metallic gold looks terrible when paired with gray. Some powder blue road unis (even if used as an alt) would be nice too.

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

They even had a stretch in the mid 90s where green was emphasized about as much as blue was.

That's not really true.  Yes, they had green piping on the roads for a couple years, and a green button/bill on the road cap, but only on the roads.  And the alternate jerseys were still blue.  Green was never more than an accent color for the Brewers; they've always been blue.

37 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's not really true.  Yes, they had green piping on the roads for a couple years, and a green button/bill on the road cap, but only on the roads.  And the alternate jerseys were still blue.  Green was never more than an accent color for the Brewers; they've always been blue.

It didn’t even look that good. The best variant used minimal green accents.

1120_MAIN.jpg

I’ve even mocked up a green-free version.

Y1LAqfp.png

Not bad, but not the BiG.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It didn’t even look that good. The best variant used minimal green accents.

I’ve even mocked up a green-free version.

Y1LAqfp.png

Not bad, but not the BiG.

I'm waiting in the Concepts section to see that show up, to ask if that would look good in royal and yellow lol 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Why did ESPN use the Phillies old logo and colors? It confused me when I turned the game on for a bit the other night. It was like this for the entire game too according to the highlights. I can't think of any specific reason for this outside of it being a mistake but you'd think if it were a mistake they wouldn't have gone an entire game with it right?

NxGmVJH.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

Sorry but the BiG logo is one of, if not the most overrated look in American sports, it has nothing to tie in with Milwaukee, it has nothing to do with brewing, was only around for fifteen years, (the current one is at 19, next year will be its second decade) and is almost half a century old. Let it go it had its time. Their current set is not perfect but it’s definitely the best look they’ve had. If a change had to be made I would take the team in a whole different direction, not everything has to be a throwback. Preferably I would just adjust their current look. There’s some adjustments that could be made. But it’s a downgrade if they switch to the BiG logo

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

10 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Sorry but the BiG logo is one of, if not the most overrated look in American sports, it has nothing to tie in with Milwaukee, it has nothing to do with brewing, was only around for fifteen years, (the current one is at 19, next year will be its second decade) and is almost half a century old. Let it go it had its time. Their current set is not perfect but it’s definitely the best look they’ve had. If a change had to be made I would take the team in a whole different direction, not everything has to be a throwback. Preferably I would just adjust their current look. There’s some adjustments that could be made. But it’s a downgrade if they switch to the BiG logo

But it has everything to do with BASEBALL, I remember being in a diner in wildwood in the late 90s and seeing it and thinking what a cool logo.

Just something about that ball in glove that just is pure baseball.

12 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

But it has everything to do with BASEBALL, I remember being in a diner in wildwood in the late 90s and seeing it and thinking what a cool logo.

Just something about that ball in glove that just is pure baseball.

So it’s an awesome logo bc it describes baseball? Sounds generic and clip art-y. Baseball for me is the Red Sox, whose managed to capture the essence of baseball history with the nickname, Red Sox, and a sense of their own identity with good logos

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I've never seen a team use two different logos, have fans wear apparel from two different eras, and have a uniform mixed with those two different eras.

I'm not sure if I should applaud the Brewers for their ability to market two different identities, or chastise them for not having a valuable, consistent brand.

Spoiler

I'm really leaning towards the latter.

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

So it’s an awesome logo bc it describes baseball? Sounds generic and clip art-y. Baseball for me is the Red Sox, whose managed to capture the essence of baseball history with the nickname, Red Sox, and a sense of their own identity with good logos

What about a tuscan B says "Red Sox?"

The BiG is just an elaborate monogram. It's not supposed to be a literal representation of the team's nickname. 

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'll go to my grave (and take anyone that disagrees with me) shouting that the authentic road jersey with the green trim was beautiful when viewed in person.  Someone in my high school was related to a player and wore his jersey one day, and I was blown away by how good it looked up close.  May not have translated as well on UHF TV, but damn if it didn't give little Vet a boner (though maybe that was from Stacey since she sat behind him, but either way.) 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Why did ESPN use the Phillies old logo and colors? It confused me when I turned the game on for a bit the other night. It was like this for the entire game too according to the highlights. I can't think of any specific reason for this outside of it being a mistake but you'd think if it were a mistake they wouldn't have gone an entire game with it right?

NxGmVJH.jpg

The only thing I can figure is that they didn't want both to be red and used it to distinguish between the two....or maybe it was just a screwup? 😁.   Personally, I wish the Phillies would go back to that full time.  That color screams Phillies to me.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

Yeah, maybe it's their "clash kit" for the graphic?  I'd rather them have just done the Cardinals in navy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

DBacks question that I think I know the answer to but I'm not positive so I wanna know what others think... 2001 DBacks home uniforms were cream not white right? If so, is it just me or are the current Thursday throwbacks NOT cream? I saw a clip of Adam Jones' catch last night and those jerseys sure looked white to me. Am I seeing things? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm surprised ESPN even had generated a graphic for the throwback look. Maybe someone in the truck incorrectly thought the Phillies were meant to be wearing throwbacks for that game? It is less important in baseball than elsewhere, but I do appreciate when scorebug designers take care to match those colors to the ones being worn by the teams at that moment.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, maybe it's their "clash kit" for the graphic?  I'd rather them have just done the Cardinals in navy.

Or the Phillies in royal blue

Archived