MLB 2019 Changes

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

This photo convinced me. The Twins could still stay primarily navy, and maybe keep the gold dropshadow. They don’t even need the pinstripes. The wordmark seems like it needs to be red though. The primarily navy script simply doesn’t work, while the red wordmark just pops.

They don't need to (nor should they) reinvent the wheel here.  Especially when its a look that manages to stand out with just navy and red, which we all know is difficult enough for a MLB team to do.  Just keep the World Series-era look for perpetuity.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current twins looks is one of the best in the league, except for the blue alternate, which I haven’t liked as much as I did when it was revealed. I also don’t like the metallic gold they’ve been using lately as much, but the TC logo is gorgeous, all the logos are. It’s a great update to the 90s look. One of the first caps I bought (of a team I wasn’t a fan of)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

They aren't using the gold right. The script having both red outline and gold shadow is redundant; It creates that layer effect which some may put in the category of "too much going on", just like double outlining. The 2014 MLB All-Star Game logo is a good route to take for them. The gold is executed marvelously.

19 hours ago, NicDB said:

I'm not too sure about that. For well over a decade now, the Twins have been tinkering with their look to stand out amongst all the other navy and red teams. But all they've managed to do is muddy the waters to where they're dangeously close to another Padres/Brewers situation.

Navy pinstripes with red is the closest thing to an "ownable" look as they've ever had. It also has the added bonus of being associated with the franchise's mist successful era. Even the road pinstripes from that set don't bother me as much as they do some people.

Its an ownable look, for sure, but it’s too milquetoast and dated for me. I think that bulbous wordmark looks much worse in red and the M logo never should have replaced the TC. The entire ensemble belongs next to the Miller-era Indiana Pacers in a 1997 Old Navy catalog.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

What gold? That's probably the least liked element. It's more of a mustard brown anyways. The pinstripes can stay gone. Even just a regular white jersey with a red TWINS wordmark (and no gold), That's a winner

I'm wondering. I know the front numbers are gone. But if they were somehow Navy blue contrasting to a red TWINS mark, it could work. They could still identify as a majority Navy blue squad. The loss of red is a bit sad. Considering the new contrast is mustard brown, it's not a great alternative.  

I'll just say this here. When you have two outlines that are duller than your actual wordmark, you have some issues. 

Navy on red seems okay historically. But you're introducing gold too?  The prior set has more life. 

Red on Navy is perfect

Navy on red on gold is a dilluted dull mess. 

On 6/14/2019 at 5:10 PM, MattMill said:

Wow. Side by side, how is the navy work mark set even around? Pinstripes and Red is a remarkable contrast. 

spacer.png

from the best set to worst. And they also dropped the M. They can continue to lose with their terrible choices. This year they’re actually doing something but wow. That photo says it all. Such vibrancy from their historical wordmark. 

Give me spacer.png or give me death.

But yes, of those two versions of the late-80s Metrodome wordmark, the red beats the blue any day. But that wordmark is so sterile and dated either way, IMO. Do some tightening up on the script wordmark, and you've got yourself the platonic ideal of a Twins jersey.

11 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Give me spacer.png or give me death.

But yes, of those two versions of the late-80s Metrodome wordmark, the red beats the blue any day. But that wordmark is so sterile and dated either way, IMO. Do some tightening up on the script wordmark, and you've got yourself the platonic ideal of a Twins jersey.

The red outline seems thicker than the 90s pinstripe Metrodome set. Or maybe it's the Navy pinstripes bringing out the red a bit. Almost anything beats a basic Navy wordmark on a white jersey. 

White on red wowed me instantly. It made me wonder why or how that set became extinct. The new set is dull, through and through. Maybe the gold had a shine once or twice a week, when the days are actually sunny in Minneapolis. 

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

The 80s/90s wordmark isn't sterile nor dated, IMO. It's a clean, easy-to-read non-cursive script that's not sterile varsity block. Not every baseball wordmark has to be some attempt at cursive. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Over the past few weeks, a number of A's fans have noticed that the team hasn't worn their gold alternates at all this season. During a Q&A with NBC Sports California's Brodie Brazil, A's manager Bob Melvin made it sound like the Kelly Green uniform set, introduced last season, all but replaced the golds: 

I suppose if you HAD to put the red version of the Rod Carew-era wordmark on the navy pinstripes I could live with that. At least they'd still look like the teams who won the World Series.  But the fact remains that mixing and matching eras is how the Twins wound up here in the first place. Hence why I feel they shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel.

The 80s wordmark is actually the one that feels timeless to me though. That part of the W on the 60s mark that doesn't go anywhere has always bothered me. If anything, it looks dated in that it's from the mid-century era before baseball uniforms got too experimental. It's not terrible, but I can't think of any particular Twins "momemt" I associate it with comparable to all I can associate the Metrodome mark with.

The old Twins script is so bad.. the toothpaste "T", the odd origin of the "w", and overall sloppy appearance just feels so unprofessional to me.. it's like what a high school JV team would get from a local print shop.. nothing about it suggests "professional organization" of any sort imo..

I know some folks around here appreciate the charm and "organic" feel of these types of vintage script, but I just can't get on board with it.. the Twins and Phillies in particular have great current wordmarks that look like a product of a hundred million dollar professional organization.. their prior marks looked like a child cut it out of felt by hand..

13 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

Over the past few weeks, a number of A's fans have noticed that the team hasn't worn their gold alternates at all this season. During a Q&A with NBC Sports California's Brodie Brazil, A's manager Bob Melvin made it sound like the Kelly Green uniform set, introduced last season, all but replaced the golds: 

While the gold jerseys were a bit garish, they were still nice to see as alternates worn on just a few occasions. I loved it when they were paired against the Rangers' blue alternates.

I also find it interesting that the dugout wall is a brighter green (though it could be from the lighting). I wonder if the A's will make the Kelly green the official primary color sometime in the next few years.

18 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

Which makes no sense because last year was the season they introduced their Kelly green alts and they still wore their gold tops. Bringing in the Kelly green didn't push out the gold tops, rather it was just a decision for the team to not wear it. 

It has been apparent that gold was out of the rotation this year as all the gold jerseys were not prominently displayed at any of the team stores in the Coliseum.

Go A's!

Too lazy to search, but I know the rays added the stingray to both blue jerseys, but is this the first year the grays had a white outline around the navy names on back? I know they also dropped nameplates as well. Just noticed it tonight at NY.

KISSwall09.jpg

7 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

While the gold jerseys were a bit garish, they were still nice to see as alternates worn on just a few occasions. I loved it when they were paired against the Rangers' blue alternates.

I also find it interesting that the dugout wall is a brighter green (though it could be from the lighting). I wonder if the A's will make the Kelly green the official primary color sometime in the next few years.

They seem to be headed in that direction. Either that, or a Brewers-esque permanent dual brand in order to milk merchandise dollars.

I'm actually hoping for the latter. It makes for horrible branding ( 👀 Brewers), but I honestly prefer the forest green-and-gold color scheme. Much like the White Sox, it took nearly a century to get there, but they finally struck gold (no pun intended) with a uniform set that can stand the test of time in the late 80's - I hope they have the good sense to stick with it.

Archived