MLB 2019 Changes

I'm gonna go back and edit it in when I find it but there was an interesting article I read a few years ago about the spread of nominalization in today's copywriting: parts of speech are just a free-for-all yielding slogans that, on the surface, make no sense, like "Awesome Your Happy."

https://theweek.com/articles/447030/how-advertisers-trick-brain-by-turning-adjectives-into-nouns

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

One of their players is holding the wrong cap. You can tell by the white bill and red stripe.

Amir Garrett somehow wound up grabbing the 1902 hats they wore on May 4

spacer.png

It's close 

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They usually give players full socks when throwing back to this era.  That would have been a much better choice. 

would've been the better move. 

1912-Cincinnati-Reds-750x400.jpg

that's what they did for the 1902 throwbacks

1141186239.jpg.0.jpg

the half sock they wore with the 1911 uniforms would've been more period accurate

58842663_126167328569286_689784367278974

I'm pretty sure the actual 1911 uniforms didn't have numbers on the back. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

True, but the current rules require it.  So clubs have to make that one concession to modernity. 

The Red Sox and Yankees played an actual game in numberless throwbacks in 2012.

Screen-Shot-2012-04-20-at-16h24.26-1.png

I can't imagine watching a game in a stadium without numbers, it's bad enough when every player wears #42. Is this a new official rule for throwbacks since this game in 2012 or did the Reds and other teams wearing throwbacks from that time period decide it's just better to be anachronistic on that one detail for the sake of practicality and helping the fans and broadcasters identify the players? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

28 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Red Sox and Yankees played an actual game in numberless throwbacks in 2012.

Screen-Shot-2012-04-20-at-16h24.26-1.png

I can't imagine watching a game in a stadium without numbers, it's bad enough when every player wears #42. Is this a new official rule for throwbacks since this game in 2012 or did the Reds and other teams wearing throwbacks from that time period decide it's just better to be anachronistic on that one detail for the sake of practicality and helping the fans and broadcasters identify the players? 

I think they went with the practicality angle rather than a requirement from MLB itself. I appreciate authenticity with older jerseys but sometimes that one change helps the people involved with the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/18/2019 at 3:17 AM, Wings said:

A group from Nashville has been exploring the idea of bringing MLB to the Music City but there have been reports that the city won't help publicly fund a ballpark. 

Of course they wont, and for good reason.  They just helped build a AAA baseball stadium a few years back and a new MLS stadium is right around the corner too.

Cubs crest looks to be chainstitched. 

1) is it?

2) if yes, has that always been the case?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/18/2019 at 6:41 PM, NicDB said:

Perhaps you're thinking of the Twins proposed move to North Carolina.  But that was a nonsensical location in the middle of nowhere.

Fact is, there are no good relocation options.  Just a bunch that maybe might work out.  The odds that it would be a lateral move, regardless of where, are probably greater than any other relocation situation in MLB history.

I still think Montreal should be the first relocation option if anyone moves.  At least in that situation they should be able to use Olympic Stadium until a new one is built.

I like Montreal for purely nostalgic reasons.  And the fact that they have a MLB-capable venue has to make them the front-runner as of this moment. 

But all the reasons they left in the first place still exist.  Especially if you take for granted that the market was indeed sabotaged.  

Years ago I used to visit a website that would list every team's colors throughout their history... for the life of me I can't remember the website and haven't had luck searching for it. Anyone here remember it and can point me in the right direction?

While I'm here I'll ask what I was curious about to begin with that led me on this hunt... does anyone know more info about the shade of blue that the Blue Jays used in their 04-12 "Black Jays" era? I feel like it was a lighter shade than a regular royal blue and possibly a completely unique color ever to MLB but I wanted to go back and check this out myself.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Years ago I used to visit a website that would list every team's colors throughout their history... for the life of me I can't remember the website and haven't had luck searching for it. Anyone here remember it and can point me in the right direction?

There are several out there, but only one you can trust: http://www.trucolor.net/

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

I like Montreal for purely nostalgic reasons.  And the fact that they have a MLB-capable venue has to make them the front-runner as of this moment. 

But all the reasons they left in the first place still exist.  Especially if you take for granted that the market was indeed sabotaged.  

Don't forget who the owner was at the time.  That piece of crap is the reason they left Montreal.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

Don't forget who the owner was at the time.  That piece of crap is the reason they left Montreal.

I can think of bigger pieces of crap. 

slide_2.jpg

If this is getting political, it’s only because it’s relevant to the Expos’ situation. People who solely blame Loria/Selig or the 1994 strike are woefully ignorant of the political, economic, and demographic factors that turned the Expos into DC’s National League club.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I can think of bigger pieces of crap. 

slide_2.jpg

If this is getting political, it’s only because it’s relevant to the Expos’ situation. People who solely blame Loria/Selig or the 1994 strike are woefully ignorant of the political, economic, and demographic factors that turned the Expos into DC’s National League club.

This is totally misplaced.  The Expos could have survived in Quebec ruled by the PQ — or even, if all had gone well, in an independent Quebec — if they had had competent ownership.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived