MLB 2019 Changes

17 hours ago, NicDB said:

Went and picked up one of these today. I always go for the 39thirty Flex because I find the regular 5950s uncomfortable and awkward.

[url=https://ibb.co/pdnrH35]thumb.jpg[/img][/url]

But when I picked it up, I noticed the back script on mine was a bit different than what's on the official website.

[url=https://ibb.co/xHPZCp5]thumb-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/cJwddVJ]20190524-175550.jpg[/img][/url] 

I'm not trying to read too much into this, as it's possible that they just got lazy and used the same wordmark that's been on the royal blue version.

However, it's clear that the original wordmark on both the royal and navy version was based on the jerseys the caps were designed to be worn with. And they'd already made a few runs of these with the original (current) wordmark. So why go through the trouble of changing it?

As I said, I'm not trying to read too much into it. But could this be more evidence that the Brewers are leaning towards some version of the original BiG era unis, but in navy rather than royal?

I also prefer the 3930s but it irritates me that the logo is smaller than on the 5950s.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a few Cubs caps, two 5950s (the former road cap and a fashion cap that is basically identical to the real one, but with additional red and white piping) and one 3930 with the '16 champions patch.  Love how the latter fits, to the point I can't remember the last time I wore either fitted.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I just got a Twins (now former) road hat of the 3930. And the back of the hat has the Twins current road script, while the website has the home script on the back. So maybe their just changing up the scripts and the brewers one happens to be in Navy now...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 5/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Oh yeah, they were worn for a game back in 1994. I only heard about them through Bill Henderson’s book. I like how these fauxbacks handle the Sens MK II’s aesthetic by folding it into the local identity. It’s less insulting to the city that (at the time) didn’t have a replacement team. It’s why I kind of wish the Thunder would do this (concept by @Brauny1280😞

OKCSonicTemplate.png

This is a cursed image.

My take on the whole Montreal/Washington thing is "let the organization decide." If they choose to acknowledge their past (like the Hurricanes are doing with the Whalers), that's fine. If they do a Rangers-style throwback (which I think would be cool), that's fine. They already choose to honor several Expos-related people in Nationals Stadium (they have the name and the Expos logo next to it), so I don't see why fully embracing their past would be a bad thing, but only because no other team has come to replace the Expos (So I wouldn't be ok with the Pelicans doing something like that). 

Also, while the Expos logo isn't good by any means, it's like the current Pistons logo: the nostalgia is what kept it around. The eMb is iconic and quite literally is the Expos. If they used anything else it wouldn't be the same. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

EDIT: I’m a moron who leapt to conclusions. Whoopsies!

Sorry about that one. Anyway, I find it interesting that they cite 2005 as the founding date. It seems that nobody was really fooled by this:

kghi1vemazbbt5se6ekhj6g6k.gif

...which is very good.

They don’t need throwbacks to learn the history. Like @Gothamite put it, they can find these curiosities on their own.

An updated font and some colors tweaking and that could make a really good primary for the nats

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Last night in Colorado
spacer.pngspacer.png

I honestly thought this game looked really good on TV, and I'm usually against teams wearing their alts. That said, the O's orange jersey looks leagues better than the black one.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I honestly thought this game looked really good on TV, and I'm usually against teams wearing their alts. That said, the O's orange jersey looks leagues better than the black one.

I really like the black ones, but the hat needs to go.

My favourite alt look is the black jerseys at home while batting, and as such wearing the batting helmet and not the caps.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 5/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, SFGiants58 said:

But is is it really necessary to know this history as a fan? The kids can take five seconds on Wikipedia to learn it, then go back to not caring about players who they never watched and have no relevance to their city. They’ll admit that Montréal’s team left due to a variety of factors, feel a tiny bit of regret, and move on. If the history comes up, a quick search can

It's still the Rangers, but it finds a way to invoke their past (recent past as well, given that they reused the '80s-1993 script) without shoving it in Washington fans' faces. This is how you handle throwbacks when there’s no replacement team. Just say “Expos-inspired” and you’re good.

The Winnipeg Whips’ logo would be perfect for a fauxback like this.

Something like this?

Nationals-Fauxback.png

On 5/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

And tonight, they're wearing their road hat with it:

And again today:

Maybe this is the new normal?

Also in my opinion, change the squatchee to orange to match the brim, and this should be their main hat (and hell maybe their only hat).

Are there any teams besides the Phillies where the squatcho (f your chee) matches neither the bill nor the monogram?  I've always thought it was corny.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are there any teams besides the Phillies where the squatcho (f your chee) matches neither the bill nor the monogram?  I've always thought it was corny.

fynsyy7yhbh7w4teawzxtx5do.gif

The brim and the main color of the "P" is yellow, and the "squatcho" is red. Obviously the "P" has a red outline, but this is the closets I could find.

That's such a terrible jersey.  And cap.  Please delete your post before I stab my eyes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I definitely prefer the all navy cap for the Stros, although I do like when they switch it up with the orange brimmed alternate on the road. But I would go with an orange squatcho for both. If they are going to wear the orange brim as much as they do, they should have a matching batting helmet.

9 minutes ago, Shumway said:

Could be worse...

5623287864_2eb428cb61.jpg

I hate you.

This has probably already been mentioned, but there is a new batting helmet model this year that some players are wearing.  It looks like the baseball equivalent of the Riddell Speedflex, with all those ridges and vents that serve no purpose.  It looks really ugly and I hope it doesn’t catch on.

Archived