MLB 2019 Changes

15 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Last night in Colorado
spacer.pngspacer.png

There should be a rule against this sort of thing.

This demonstrates that colour-vs.-colour is bad not only when the jerseys are close in shade, but in all cases.

It's this sort of nonsense that made the 1979 World Series unwatchable, especially right after two straight Series involving the best-dressed teams.

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There should be a rule against this sort of thing.

This demonstrates that colour-vs.-colour is bad not only when the jerseys are close in shade, but in all cases.

It's this sort of nonsense that made the 1979 World Series unwatchable, especially right after two straight Series involving the best-dressed teams.

Nah, that’s actually a beautiful matchup. Two bright (but not neon) colors with great contrast. Looks amazing. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea I don't prefer color vs color but at least that's a nice pairing with two contrasting colors. There's a big difference between that and two dark colors or two similar colors. 

This. I'm all for more color on color. But I'd like some sort of rules similar to European soccer to apply.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It looks just fine for two people meeting in the street. But it looks totally wrong for Major League Baseball.

Shoot, I don’t care if it’s the Majors, old men’s softball, or a tee-ball game, when the colors pop like they did in the Colorado-Baltimore game and contrast the way they did, it’s a good looking matchup. 

7 hours ago, Shumway said:

Could be worse...

5623287864_2eb428cb61.jpg

Everytime I start to forget about that awful Heinz ketchup Pirates vest, one of you has to post this and remind me that it was a thing. Thanks, jerks!

Poppy Flower Patches as MLB Marks Memorial Day 2019

May 27, 2019 - 13:48 PM

In recognition of those who made the ultimate sacrifice losing their lives in service to their country, Major League Baseball will mark Memorial Day in the United States this afternoon with each of the 26 teams playing today wearing commemorative […]

Read More...

8 hours ago, jn8 said:

Shoot, I don’t care if it’s the Majors, old men’s softball, or a tee-ball game, when the colors pop like they did in the Colorado-Baltimore game and contrast the way they did, it’s a good looking matchup. 

A refusal to acknowledge the distinction between the first entry on that list and the other two is at the heart of the problem.

It is a sad day indeed when Major League Baseball players looking (as you so accurately describe) like softballers or like little children is not only tolerated but celebrated.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A refusal to acknowledge the distinction between the first entry on that list and the other two is at the heart of the problem.

It is a sad day indeed when Major League Baseball players looking (as you so accurately describe) like softballers or like little children is not only tolerated but celebrated.

A good looking matchup is still a good looking matchup, and I'll always support good looking matchups. However, there should never be a navy-navy matchup, or any two similar looking shades. There has to be rules to prevent that kind of thing. A soccer-like clash rule would work wonders, especially since it's super easy to tell who's home/away with the white/gray pants. 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There’s definitely a distinction between them. This is a slow-pitch softball jersey:

pAeGJ7G.png

And these are the jerseys from the Colorado-Baltimore game:

YHSaXY6.jpg 

DeNTEJo.jpg 

Colorado and Baltimore stick to traditional jersey designs with simple block numbers and basic wordmarks. The softball jersey... well, it doesn’t, and I’m in no way calling for that to become an MLB trend.

But a traditional jersey style in a color instead of white or gray? No issues with that at all. White vs gray for every game gets boring, so if teams want to mix it up with colored jerseys throughout the year, I’m all for it. Orange vs purple looks great, as well as a couple other color vs color matchups. Just keep the colored pants in the 70s 

This is the part where I mention that colored jerseys can be found in Major League Baseball's history dating as far back as 1905...in the World Series. There's plenty of custom and history for those in MLB and, as far as the idea of "shouldn't wear two uniform colors that are so close to another", yes, because white and light gray are such distant colors themselves? Not because I'm here to advocate navy vs. black matchups, because I don't disagree with the principle, but if we have such a principle, then the "traditional" uniform matchup is always in violation of it.

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

White vs. grey is what baseball looks like.

This does not get boring because there is plenty of variety of colour in the hats, socks, belts, and uniform lettering and trim.

For every rule there are exceptions, while I prefer white vs grey I and everyone else not named Ferdinand Cesarano see that color combo and see a terrific color combination.