MLB 2019 Changes

49 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

It’s also criminal that Fanatics has taken over most of the market, so when a cap size is sold out, it might be gone for good. 

Thats legitimately criminal.  They have a monopoly over online sports apparel retail. They own lids and every team store in pro sports.  Also their Fanatics branded merchandise is terrible. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

This has been concerning me a lot lately. There have been some Marlins throwback caps I've been trying to track down in my size for months, but they haven't been restocking anything at all. What's going on there? They don't replenish their inventory when something runs out? 

Which Marlins throwback shirt? I purchased a large sized poly blend from them recently and it fits like a small, despite saying large on the tag. Has anyone else had serious issues with the sizing?

I dropped the ball on buying the BP cap and now the 5950 low profile version of that is extinct.  Big giant F U to Fanatics 

57 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

So it's not worth it to watch the team I own on the frozen tundra when it's frozen?

That's about the only thing that makes winter worth it. :ninja: That and waiting for spring.  And trying not to laugh at people who wear ripped jeans in below-freezing weather on purpose.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

4 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

This has been concerning me a lot lately. There have been some Marlins throwback caps I've been trying to track down in my size for months, but they haven't been restocking anything at all. What's going on there? They don't replenish their inventory when something runs out? 

Which Marlins throwback shirt? I purchased a large sized poly blend from them recently and it fits like a small, despite saying large on the tag. Has anyone else had serious issues with the sizing?

Small black 100% cotton w the F fish. 

3 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

That's about the only thing that makes winter worth it. :ninja: That and waiting for spring.  And trying not to laugh at people who wear ripped jeans in below-freezing weather on purpose.

I'm still shocked I didn't freeze, just wearing a cold gear under armour and a Leafs t-shirt over it, w a beanie, when I went to the mountains and i wasn't cold until it started to get dark. 31 degrees and snowing. Probably all the sledding and snowball fights kept me warm.  But I have no trouble playing basketball, football or wiffleball in 100+ weather. 

9 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I dropped the ball on buying the BP cap and now the 5950 low profile version of that is extinct.  Big giant F U to Fanatics 

Myths busted. Fanatics is not a monopoly...Lids still has an agreement with Macys (surprisingly), and Dicks and FootLocker/Eastbay still exist.

Here’s that hat. The fact that quantities are limited online is New Era's fault, not the retailers'. 

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/new-era-miami-marlins-batting-practice-low-profile-59fifty-fitted-cap?ID=8953661

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Myths busted. Fanatics is not a monopoly...Lids still has an agreement with Macys (surprisingly), and Dicks and FootLocker/Eastbay still exist.

Here’s that hat. The fact that quantities are limited online is New Era's fault, not the retailers'. 

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/new-era-miami-marlins-batting-practice-low-profile-59fifty-fitted-cap?ID=8953661

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Monopoly doesn’t have to mean that a company has no competitors at all.  It can also cover a situation where one company controls enough of a given market to exercise control over it.  And when one company has exclusive domain over the online shops of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS, and also happens to work with those leagues on designing, manufacturing, and marketing merchandise, that’s a really good start down the road to a monopoly.

50 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The fact that quantities are limited online is New Era's fault, not the retailers'.

I don’t think it’s so cut and dried.  New Era is going to make what retailers like Fanatics orders.  If retailers want more, New Era will produce it for them.

If New Era is not producing what Fanatics and other retailers are asking for, then it’s on the manufacturer.  But it seems more likely that the retailers are not ordering enough.

I will say that Fanatics has be responsive to customer inquiries. I want a Reds white pinstriped ‘95 throwback (a look I’ve advocated for on these boards), but my size sold out quickly. Fanatics told me that at this time there are no current plans to order more. Since that hat has been popular, and that game has yet to be played, I’m holding out hope that another order is placed. 

14 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

It’s also criminal that Fanatics has taken over most of the market, so when a cap size is sold out, it might be gone for good. 

Yeah theve even taken over Lids and Lids Locker Room stores....

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

I will say that Fanatics has be responsive to customer inquiries. I want a Reds white pinstriped ‘95 throwback (a look I’ve advocated for on these boards), but my size sold out quickly. Fanatics told me that at this time there are no current plans to order more. Since that hat has been popular, and that game has yet to be played, I’m holding out hope that another order is placed. 

To the point made earlier, if Fanatics is the main supplier and they aren’t putting in additional orders to New Era then it isn’t smart for New Era to produce more of the caps. 

1 minute ago, Marlins93 said:

So is Fanatics so worried about soft demand for certain caps that they refuse to put in new orders out of fear the product would just sit there for years in their warehouse?

I’ve wondered about this too.

16 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I really wish people would stop saying that we have protective netting only because people are glued to their phones for the whole game and don't pay attention. Maybe it has more to do with seats built closer to the baselines, bats being more likely to splinter, and players becoming much stronger and better conditioned than they were 50 years ago? I don't have hard evidence to back this up, but I find it unlikely that fans from previous eras were subjected to the same kind of violent projectiles being launched in 2019. They reach the stands which such velocity that they could cause serious injury upon those with their eyes glued upon the action. Quite simply, the game and the experience of being a spectator have evolved considerably.

And surely plenty of people got their faces crushed during the pre-smart phone era too. It was just much easier to ignore or sweep those incidents under the rug without social media.

I think it has way more to do with new construction bringing the front rows closer to home plate than it does with the notion of baseball players only learning how to hit balls really hard in the late '90s. Players have been able to hit rockets down the lines for years, it's just that they had softer landing spots in Old Busch Stadium or Olympic Stadium than kids' heads. Extending the nets is just catching up with moving up the seats.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t think it’s so cut and dried.  New Era is going to make what retailers like Fanatics orders.  If retailers want more, New Era will produce it for them.

If New Era is not producing what Fanatics and other retailers are asking for, then it’s on the manufacturer.  But it seems more likely that the retailers are not ordering enough.

This was my thought in my post above. If an on-field BP hat (which should be in stock throughout the season, optimally, as it's different than a regular one-time-only release) is sold out by May, then I would have to assume Fanatics' supply managers have put in new request. 

Remember, the regular Marlins' 59fifties sold incredibly fast last winter. Most sizes were sold out. New stock didn't arrive until February. 

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

TBTCs are handled differently than standard on-fields.

Nearly all of the TBTC hats have been wildly popular, and only a few times has Fanatics ordered more (usually due to the team wearing it again following years). 

On 5/30/2019 at 7:55 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It's not "blatant nothing"; it's an "e" and a "b", with the negative space completing the "M" for Montréal. It's exactly like how the Whalers used the negative space of a "W" and a whale's tail to make an "H" for Hartford.

This is not a good comparison. The negative space in the Whalers logo is the H. The negative space in the Expos is nothing, it's not an M, the M is the combination of the three colored spaces. The red is an e, the blue is a b, the entire shape is an M but the negative space is nothing and is thus read as an L or an I, which it's not, which is why it fails.

Technical question = once you throw an outline around it is it still "negative space"?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived