MLB 2019 Changes

I wasn’t able to make it to the Pilots throwback game yesterday while I was in town, but I did buy a 5950 Pilots cap before I flew back home and love it (I usually don’t buy 5950’s anymore, but thankfully I found a great fit and just couldn’t pass it up). 

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much Pilots stuff I saw there, both in merchandise and just marketing for the throwback game/nostalgia in general. I did go to Wednesday’s game and they advertised it a fair bit there, every sports store I peeked into had Pilots gear, and The Seattle Times even had a full multi-page article about the ‘69 season in the paper this morning (granted it’s thier 50th anniversary of course, but it was still cool to have a whole article to read, and a fascinating one at that). Plus, my Grandpa even told me stories about them while I was there with him haha. Lots of Pilots nostalgia this week and it was really cool to see during my stay.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the photos I saw at the game, it looks like they finally got the scrambled eggs on the bill right, or at least close to right.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Decades of baseball>Millions of Dollars, it would be different if baseball was young and hadn't established a brand. I would agree with you then, but you can't say that a team that's had a script for 50+ years, some older than the NBA and NFL as we know it, are wrong. That's why the newer computerized scripts feel wrong because computers weren't around for 80-90% of MLB script history 

You make a good point, even if you are overstating the problem with "machined" scripts a bit (the Nationals' road script is superb; and the Twins' original cursive wordmark is an unsightly mess).

The effect of the weight of baseball history is slso the reason that it looks so wrong to wear a uniform without showing any sock. In this case, it violates aesthetic norms that date back to the very beginnings of the game, as Cincinnati Red Stockings were the dominant club of the 1860s and 1870s, and are acknowledged as the first all-professional team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Actually, that’s right when digital art was becoming a thing.  The Brewers’ logos were moved to digital in 1992.  

It’s not impossible that the Phillies’ script was one of the first created on a computer. 

Interestingly enough, the chain stitching seems to really make me wonder about that.

I am neutral in the Computer vs Hand-Drawn Debate, but lean more towards Computer. So let me give @BellaSpurs a known example on these boards. The Twins scripts. Tell me, which script is the better looking design?

spacer.png

or

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

14 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

I am neutral in the Computer vs Hand-Drawn Debate, but lean more towards Computer. So let me give @BellaSpurs a known example on these boards. The Twins scripts. Tell me, which script is the better looking design?

spacer.png

or

spacer.png

Definitely the latter. It’s a nice happy medium, especially for the home script.

d9X9ije.jpg

16 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Decades of baseball>Millions of Dollars, it would be different if baseball was young and hadn't established a brand. I would agree with you then, but you can't say that a team that's had a script for 50+ years, some older than the NBA and NFL as we know it, are wrong. That's why the newer computerized scripts feel wrong because computers weren't around for 80-90% of MLB script history .

But the vast majority of those scripts have become extinct.. I would argue largely because of their faults.. I don't have any hard data or anything, but I would assume more hand-drawn scripts have been ditched throughout baseball's history than computer-generated scripts (by both sheer number as well as percentages).. sure, teams like the Dodgers and Cardinals have timeless, classic looks, but even great scripts like the Royals' have been tweaked and improved by the help of computers.. 

So while I understand baseball has a tradition of old, hand-drawn scripts, I also understand that time has brought technological advancements that can improve upon those scripts.. there was a time when baseball had a tradition of playing barehanded and batting without a helmet, but that doesn't mean we should be pushing for those things now..

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

spacer.png

or

spacer.png

To be completely honest, I like the top one better, and I’m not saying the other one is bad, it looks really nice, but like I’ve said, I like the more organic scripts, but maybe that’s just me. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

It's worth pointing out at this point that the version found on the mothership is not the best representation of the actual original script.

bc04caa88ktfb5ojcesl0fnze.png

The actual version worn on jerseys in the 1960s was often more consistent and even than the deliberately-rough one here. 

5443214%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur15977665%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

So don't think that "hand-drawn" has to be as bad as the example often given. 

On 6/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, Gothamite said:

True.  And sometimes they can be the best part of a team’s identity. 

spacer.png

There is nothing inherently wrong with that script, but I've never liked it for some reason.  My best guess is that I love the vertically arched block wordmark that was used on the home uniforms for most of the period that the script was used, so the script always pales by comparison.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

9 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Props to Kansas City for splurging on batting helmets.  Meanwhile, the Twins decided on the cheap route.  

In fairness, these uniforms are typically arranged (and paid for) by the home team.   So blame the Royals for the corners cut. 

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I always loved that they didn't feel the need to match home and road wordmarks.  

19184720%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u19138667%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

They don't have to match, since they compliment each other so nicely. 

767f79aa-0810-4937-84a3-3d0a7a21fe51_lg.

I'm torn because I actually prefer these on the uniforms.
spacer.png

spacer.png

But yet the combination of the block BREWERS and the tail-less "Milwaukee" makes such a great wordmark by default.

9 minutes ago, jayjackson3 said:

I've seen all of the player's weekend uniforms for this year and they suck something awful. 

Got any descriptions for then at all? Like the best/worst, the colors, etc...

da0Lbhs.png

Archived