MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the home team got to pick between white and black uniforms and the Dodgers opted for white."

Are all teams choosing between white and black uniforms?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

52 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

"the home team got to pick between white and black uniforms and the Dodgers opted for white."

Are all teams choosing between white and black uniforms?

What is this turning into ... NBA All-Star Weekend?!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

36 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Anyone ever wonder if we’ll return to a time where the gimmicks go away? I have my doubts, but is it possible these events eventually fall on deaf ears? 

I've always suspected that fans don't really care about the gimmicks outside of throwbacks, which has given me some hope at times. Unfortunately Payers' Weekend is part of the CBA with the MLBPA so it's probably not going anywhere.

45 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I've always suspected that fans don't really care about the gimmicks outside of throwbacks, which has given me some hope at times. Unfortunately Payers' Weekend is part of the CBA with the MLBPA so it's probably not going anywhere.

I feel like they could do something a little more fun, like have someone work with the guys on each team to make a unique uniform. It might look like trash, but these players weekend jerseys will probably look like trash anyways...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Anyone ever wonder if we’ll return to a time where the gimmicks go away? I have my doubts, but is it possible these events eventually fall on deaf ears? 

Here is a shot from a game that was played on July 4 in 1983.

Image result for righetti no hitter

Here is a shot from a World Series game in 1981.

Related image

The players are in their regular uniforms, with no patches.  This is what I would like to see again.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

24 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Here is a shot from a game that was played on July 4 in 1983.

Image result for righetti no hitter

Here is a shot from a World Series game in 1981.

Related image

The players are in their regular uniforms, with no patches.  This is what I would like to see again.

But how will we know its a holiday or the playoffs with out them??

1 minute ago, KGeeX5 said:

But how will we know its a holiday or the playoffs with out them??

There's nothing to indicate either of those games was played on a holiday or in the postseason. I'm certainly in favor of a patch to commemorate the latter, which is no different than bowl games. 

22 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

There's nothing to indicate either of those games was played on a holiday or in the postseason. I'm certainly in favor of a patch to commemorate the latter, which is no different than bowl games. 

The bunting indicates that it is a post-season game.  That's enough.  There's no good reason to deface the uniform (including the cap).

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The bunting indicates that it is a post-season game.  That's enough.  There's no good reason to deface the uniform (including the cap).

Teams also put up bunting on Opening Day (which has recently transformed into Opening Series or Opening Week and includes night games).

7 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:
35 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Teams also put up bunting on Opening Day (which has recently transformed into Opening Series or Opening Week and includes night games).

That's true.  But the decoration of the stadiums I don't mind, whereas the alteration of the uniforms really cheeses me off.

First time I even heard the word “bunting” was when they were putting it up in the Vet for the ‘93 playoffs. 

Do they even do that anymore? Most of today’s parks don’t gave a natural place for it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm fine with patches, but I definitely think that most fans can do without the special uniforms/caps for Mothers/Fathers day, Memorial Day, and July 4th. I'm not sure what MLB's angle is for pushing those designs so heavily every year. Do fans even buy those? I've never seen them worn by a person ever.

I've seen people like once or twice wear the 4th of July stars and stripes hats, but that's about it. I've never seen any of the other holiday styles worn though.

Edit: I've actually seen someone wear the Twins players weekend hat from a couple years ago once too. It was the one with the state outline.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm fine with patches, but I definitely think that most fans can do without the special uniforms/caps for Mothers/Fathers day, Memorial Day, and July 4th. I'm not sure what MLB's angle is for pushing those designs so heavily every year. Do fans even buy those? I've never seen them worn by a person ever.

Once in a blue moon, I'll see a person in a Brewers MURICA hat, but even that's rare. I think they only put them out for the segment of the market who are obsessive collectors and will buy anything that's worn on the field.

Ironically, I would argue that fewer people are collectors in the first place because they won't stop trotting out new hats every few weeks.  No one wants to feel obligated to drop at least $40 per month on some goofy hat that no one seriously wants to wear. 

2 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

I've seen people like once or twice wear the 4th of July stars and stripes hats, but that's about it. I've never seen any of the other holiday styles worn though.

Edit: I've actually seen someone wear the Twins players weekend hat from a couple years ago once too. It was the one with the state outline.

The first year they did the 4th of July hats I picked one up and wore it constantly. It was nice to have something different and cool. It got tiresome fast. 

This year I picked up the military cap for the first time cause I liked the design. It's one of my go-to hats now.

Anubis.png

Archived