MLB 2019 Changes

3 minutes ago, Eastport76 said:

Honestly they should play in Toronto instead. Blue Jays are Expos'old rival and remember Hurricanes wear Whalers uniforms at Boston? B-Jays would wear throwbacks (1977-1996). 

How was Toronto the Expos old rival??

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How was Toronto the Expos old rival??

Yeah, they were in separate leagues and most of their shared history pre-dates regular season interlegaue play. 

They weren’t really rivals at all. It was more a neat rarity than anything else when they played each other. 

25 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah, they were in separate leagues and most of their shared history pre-dates regular season interlegaue play. 

They weren’t really rivals at all. It was more a neat rarity than anything else when they played each other. 

I was wrong. they are in separate leagues but they played for special games for Pearson'Cup between the two Canadian-only teams in the league.the cup was created originally for raising money for minor league Baseball in Canada, in later years it was incorporated into the Intleague.

the event ended when Expos moved to Washington.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

With all the talk about the Senators and Nationals, I did some research if the Twins ever wore Washington Throwbacks, and they did in 2001. It was a TBTC at the Metrodome to the 1901 Senators vs the 1901 Philadelphia Athletics. All images are from The Throwback Report Blog. Here are some photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photos of the Philly A’s throwbacks because why not:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

17 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

From 1997 to 2004, the Expos and Blue Jays were considered "natural rivals" for interleague play, meaning they played every year regardless of the divisional rotation. (Every team is designated to have a "natural rival".) For 2005, the schedule was already made by the time the move to Washington was finalized, so the Nationals inherited the Expos' schedule, and played the Blue Jays as their rival, while the Phillies continued with the Orioles. Since 2006, it was switched so the rivalry series were Nationals vs. Orioles, while the Blue Jays alternate seasons between the Braves and the Phillies, as do the Red Sox.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The natural rivals thing is cool for two-team cities or maybe same-state-but-different-league teams, but for majority of league it’s just silly. The Phillies have no “natural” rivalry with any AL teams. Teams in the same division should play the same schedule, and under this system I don’t think that’s possible 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, simtek34 said:

With all the talk about the Senators and Nationals, I did some research if the Twins ever wore Washington Throwbacks, and they did in 2001. It was a TBTC at the Metrodome to the 1901 Senators vs the 1901 Philadelphia Athletics. All images are from The Throwback Report Blog. Here are some photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photos of the Philly A’s throwbacks because why not:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is something I can get behind...as long as both teams wear the correct uniforms. It’s like when the Dodgers wore their blue Brooklyn jerseys and some of the road teams got in on the action.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, RichO said:

I suddenly want a Twins/Rangers Senators vs Senators throwback game

On 6/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I’m still peeved that Pilots vs Pilots didn’t happen this year.

There have been Braves vs. Braves games.  On several occasions the Brewers have dressed as the Milwaukee Braves. And they did this against the Atlanta Braves! The first time, both teams wore throwbacks to the same uniform, with the Brewers wearing the home version and the Braves wearing the road version.

19296019549_84b71de085_o.png

On subsequent occasions, the Braves wore their normal uniforms, which are of course modernised versions of the throwback uniform sported by the Brewers.

19482730185_0ee632a5c1_o.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:

This is something I can get behind...as long as both teams wear the correct uniforms. It’s like when the Dodgers wore their blue Brooklyn jerseys and some of the road teams got in on the action.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Except the blue was a Brooklyn road jersey.  The opponents should have been in home throwbacks. 

The Brewers barely consider the Pilots part of their history. They've always measured their anniversaries from 1970. I suspect it may have to do with Milwaukee being snubbed for an expansion team in 1969 and since being vindicated by history.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:40 AM, WavePunter said:

there was a time when baseball had a tradition of playing barehanded and batting without a helmet, but that doesn't mean we should be pushing for those things now..

Just like there was also a time when cars didn't come with seat belts and you had to crank the engine by hand to start it up. Should we go back to that, too, since it's traditional?

This is why I have a lot of problem with baseball traditionalists sometimes. I constantly have people I watch baseball tell me "they can't do that! That's now how it's supposed to be done!" I counter that if it's not against the written rules and it works, what's the issue? Baseball is a game of strategy, should teams not do unusual things if it helps them win? "But it's not what I remember!"

On 6/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, Brandon9485 said:

Anyone ever wonder if we’ll return to a time where the gimmicks go away?

We will, when the billionaire owners decide they don't want any more money from selling one-off jerseys. And humanity hasn't yet demonstrated they are over the love of money.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, BJ Sands said:

Cubs in blue at home. First time since 2008, I think. 

2009 actually. I actually am glad they brought the blue alts back at home as I have always liked them and think they look good with the pinstriped pants. 

This doesn't work unless they get Gary Carter, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, that dude who pitched with both hands*, and every other great player who came up in, or through, that system, together on the field when they do this.**

*because it was such a cool novelty at the time

**Assuming they're all still living

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

32 minutes ago, Buc said:

This doesn't work unless they get Gary Carter, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, that dude who pitched with both hands*, and every other great player who came up in, or through, that system, together on the field when they do this.**

*because it was such a cool novelty at the time

**Assuming they're all still living

I hope they invite Youppi! to the game.

64050-37Fr.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The natural rivals thing is cool for two-team cities or maybe same-state-but-different-league teams, but for majority of league it’s just silly. The Phillies have no “natural” rivalry with any AL teams. Teams in the same division should play the same schedule, and under this system I don’t think that’s possible 

Athletics should move back

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived