MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s going to be weird having the Nats wear them, but hey, any way we can get the Expos back for even a day is cool with me.

I’m also glad it’s the 1969 set and not the racing stripes. I always thought the original was so much better; I like blue numbers on the powder blues better than I did red, and trim on the sleeves struck a good clean balance with the pinwheel hat, whereas I thought the racing stripes just made everything a bit too bold from head to toe for my tastes. 

This just strikes me as both a clean and balanced yet progressive uniform all at the same time. A really underrated classic, in my opinion. 

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m also glad it’s the 1969 set and not the racing stripes. ...trim on the sleeves struck a good clean balance with the pinwheel hat, whereas I thought the racing stripes just made everything a bit too bold from head to toe for my tastes. 

The overall aesthetic of the uniform was elegant, with the lowercase wordmark and the delicate lines of the number font. Those aspects were complemented beautifully by the thin sleeve stripes. 

By contrast, the racing stripe clashed badly with the uniform's overall look, the visual analogue of a tuba with a string quartet.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

45 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The overall aesthetic of the uniform was elegant, with the lowercase wordmark and the delicate lines of the number font. Those aspects were complemented beautifully by the thin sleeve stripes. 

By contrast, the racing stripe clashed badly with the uniform's overall look, the visual analogue of a tuba with a string quartet.

Totally disagree about that last point. The racing stripe went perfectly with the logo. Same main colors and similar weights. It was a more cohesive look, rather than one with a modern logo on a super traditional canvas. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, Discrimihater said:

I know bunting still gets put up at Wrigley for opening day, holidays and the postseason.  Pretty sure the Cardinals and Brewers do too.

The Dodgers still do it for any playoff games played at Dodger Stadium as well as opening day. 

Photos: Astros, Mariners Throw It Back 30 Years

June 29, 2019 - 14:02 PM

The Houston Astros and Seattle Mariners threw it back to the early 1990s (or late 1980s) last night at the Astrodome Minute Maid Park in Houston. Houston wore their front-button home whites, worn originally from 1989-1993 with the rainbow racing […]

Read More...

1) those Astros uniforms just don't create the same effect when worn loose and baggy vs tight like back in the day.

2) I always thought those Mariners uniforms were uninspired and a huge downgrade from their previous trident-star set, and it made the navy/teal set look sooooo much better by comparison.  They've been chipping away at that little by little, but I can't believe it's been what... 25+ years in basically the same navy/teal set?  That's impressive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There was a rumor (reported by only one source) in the offseason that the Marlins would have a throwback series July 26-29 against Arizona, but it was never confirmed and the team never acknowledged it. It has never been advertised as a promotion or officially scheduled. It would be amazing if they actually do it.

Black caps in the teaser make me wonder if they might be wearing the sleeveless jerseys with black undershirt. One of their most iconic looks after the 1993 teal caps/helmets.

I will be attending all four games if that's indeed the plan.

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Teasing Florida Marlin throwback?

Quick note is the throwbacks they wore last year involved the teal caps, while the clip features the black cap.

It’ll be interesting to see which throwback it is, whether it’s the 1) sleeved 90’s, 2) sleeveless ‘97 jersey, or 3) the 2003 one with the black wordmark and numbers. Either 1 or 2 would be the best they’d look all year.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Teasing Florida Marlin throwback?

Quick note is the throwbacks they wore last year involved the teal caps, while the clip features the black cap.

I will take a 1997 throwback, best uniforms they ever wore. 

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It’ll be interesting to see which throwback it is, whether it’s the 1) sleeved 90’s, 2) sleeveless ‘97 jersey, or 3) the 2003 one with the black wordmark and numbers. Either 1 or 2 would be the best they’d look all year.

Considering that they are going for a retro VHS tape aesthetic in the clip, I'm certain that it has to be either 1 or 2.

Aside from 2003 World Series nostalgia, I don't sense many Marlins fans are nearly as eager to see 2003-2011 throwbacks as they are anything 1993-2002.

Archived