MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2019 at 12:07 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But for them to wear the road uniform does not make much sense, as they will be at home against the Royals.

According to the Washington Post, "If you’re wondering why the Nationals will wear road throwbacks at home, it’s because the Expos’ away uniforms are more striking than their original home whites.”

For sake of comparison

spacer.pngspacer.png

I don't understand this current obsession around the league with powder blues. Those Montreal home whites are absolute fire. Dumb decision number one was having the Nationals wear Expos gear at all. Dumb decision number two was wearing road uniforms at home.

Funny how the 1969 Royals throwbacks look almost identical to their current road uniforms. If there's one good thing about the Royals, they pretty much got their look right on the first try and have kept it intact, a few black-for-black's-sake experiments aside.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

In fairness, that's in part because the Browns were an absolutely terrible team for pretty much their entire history, and so, really, there's nothing for the Orioles to bother celebrating about their history in St. Louis. 

Of the two Browns teams in American pro sports? The St. Louis Browns had, by far, more potential identity-wise. Shame they moved before they could bring it all together.

In a better world? The St. Louis Browns would still exist as a scrappy underdog franchise, providing a much-needed contrast to the "high off their own farts" operation that is the Cardinals.

The Orioles should wear/sell more Browns throwback merch is what I'm saying.

They probably would if the Browns weren't almost as bad as the Orioles have been. Although the Browns played in the '44 World Series, the last time every World Series game was played in the same stadium.

9 minutes ago, Quillz said:

They probably would if the Browns weren't almost as bad as the Orioles have been. Although the Browns played in the '44 World Series, the last time every World Series game was played in the same stadium.

That's fair enough, but I don't even care about the Browns' track record. I just think a St. Louis Browns hat would be cool to buy.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

That's fair enough, but I don't even care about the Browns' track record. I just think a St. Louis Browns hat would be cool to buy.

American Needle sells some. Been meaning to buy one for a while but haven't yet. I think they had the better "StL" monogram, too.

21 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Of the two Browns teams in American pro sports? The St. Louis Browns had, by far, more potential identity-wise. Shame they moved before they could bring it all together.

In a better world? The St. Louis Browns would still exist as a scrappy underdog franchise, providing a much-needed contrast to the "high off their own farts" operation that is the Cardinals.

The Orioles should wear/sell more Browns throwback merch is what I'm saying.

I'm not sure I disagree, but my post was more from the angle of understanding why the Orioles don't celebrate their Browns history, and it's because there's just not a whole lot there. Only 12 winning seasons in 53 years, one pennant in the middle of the war years when the quality of the sport was at an all-time low, and, frankly, I can't think of a single notable St. Louis Brown - that is, someone who the first team you think of them with being the Browns - aside from George Sisler. 

@Gothamite mentioned that the Browns were the more popular team of the two during most of their shared time in St. Louis with the Cardinals. Frankly, I would say that sounds incredible to me, but the White Sox have generally been more successful than the Cubs over the last 70 years but the Cubs are by far more popular in Chicago, and especially nationwide, so it shows how marketing and other factors can override the meat and potatoes of it all. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm not sure I disagree, but my post was more from the angle of understanding why the Orioles don't celebrate their Browns history, and it's because there's just not a whole lot there. Only 12 winning seasons in 53 years, one pennant in the middle of the war years when the quality of the sport was at an all-time low, and, frankly, I can't think of a single notable St. Louis Brown - that is, someone who the first team you think of them with being the Browns - aside from George Sisler.

I'm not suggesting the Orioles need to go out of their way to promote St. Louis Browns history or anything. Maybe just sell some throwback gear for weirdos like me who'd want it and maybe break out the throwbacks for the random game in St. Louis against the Cardinals now and then.

I like history, and I think it's always fun when the forgotten corners of baseball history get a bit of a spotlight.

The Browns used to wear a style of cap I wish would make a comeback

aae8e6aa-8f0f-408f-89fd-3fff6ed00fc2_lg.

No idea what this style is called (it's not pinstriping), but I always thought it looked cool and adds some nice flair to a white cap with colored brim and squatchee.

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

One of the reasons I want one :D

Can we talk about all the various problems of the Cardinals’ StL marks?

278k6gaei4dg6aveozm1q9yeg.gifgx9h70102cwsagsp5e99w2t4o.gif

I don’t like how the lower portion of the “S” doesn’t have a serif, nor do I care for how there isn’t enough “breathing space” between the “t” and the two top bars of the “S” in the design. They’ve had far better designs in their past (as well as the Browns).

ug5el0f8vi24obglklmkhcghw.gif

1956-64

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQgJoaNef4JtF9usjN4e8s-l225.jpg

1960s-80s batting helmet/BP jersey

e19d31f7-9e94-43ba-b87f-adb3ae5169d7_lg.

1781_st_louis_browns-cap-1950.png

1950s St. Louis Browns

1942-billy-southworth-st.-louis-cardinal

1940-55

5394422268_eec18328ae_b.jpg

1971-72 variant cap

I really like the last one, with the outlines highlighting the interlocking. I’ve come up with multiple ways to try to fix up the insignia.

OrNA515.png

69foeb8.png

While the Cardinals' current cap logo may be "untouchable," I'd argue that it could use some tweaking for consistency/personality. A design with cues from the 1940s-‘70s marks would be best.

28 minutes ago, Quillz said:

The Browns used to wear a style of cap I wish would make a comeback

aae8e6aa-8f0f-408f-89fd-3fff6ed00fc2_lg.

No idea what this style is called (it's not pinstriping), but I always thought it looked cool and adds some nice flair to a white cap with colored brim and squatchee.

I love it too.  I would call it contrast piping, in this case triple-contrast piping. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

I love it too.  I would call it contrast piping, in this case triple-contrast piping. 

Seems to be associated with the first half of the century. Pretty commonly seen on teams in the 1900s, then after WWII it just fell out of favor. Time to revive it.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Meh, I like the powder blues at home. It’s a nice way to remind the baseball world that the Nats are dressing up as a team that wasn’t from DC. It’s easier on the “stolen team” hard-liners if they emphasize that the Expos were another city’s team.

That's one perspective and I get that. But based on the quote from the WaPo writer, the reasoning has more to do with this alleged belief that the powder blues are more "striking" than the whites and that mindset bothers me. It just reinforces my belief that MLB is currently have an obsession with the color blue (blue for blue's sake).

Archived