MLB 2019 Changes

On 7/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, SFGiants58 said:

51619825.jpg?w=840 Red_Sox_127537950.jpg

Picture on the left is perfect, picture on the right is clownish. No red, all the red gone! Except these red long-sleeved shirts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Picture on the left is perfect, picture on the right is clownish. No red, all the red gone! Except these red long-sleeved shirts.

Disagree.  Other than when they were wearing navy socks, there was nothing wrong with that uniform.  The sleeves could have gone either way, but red looks fine.  It'd look better if players weren't wearing the pajama pants and were showing red socks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Marlins Throwing Back to the 90s For Three

July 13, 2019 - 15:17 PM

The Miami Marlins will be throwing back for an entire weekend later this month when they wear the uniforms of the 1990s Florida Marlins. Opting for the sleeveless pinstriped version of their former home uniforms, the Marlins will don the […]

Read More...

No, can't agree with that, that was a very unharmonious color distribution. Without even getting into that, there was the fact that single-layer letters and numbers made everything look thinner than the double-layer counterparts on the homes, which was especially distracting on the "Boston" wordmark.

I want to jump in and say that I dislike those Red Sox road grays with the navy wordmark. There's something so disturbingly flat about them that I can't stand. I also dislike the encroachment of navy as a dominant presence in their identity (I was particularly peeved by those blue alternates they wore so often during the playoffs). But this sentiment of course stems from my overall distaste for how prominent blue is becoming in MLB. It's always been the most commonly worn color, but it bothers me to see teams like the Red Sox and Phillies making small gestures to de-emphasize red somewhat in favor of blue.

I'd say that navy was, traditionally, the primary accent color for the Red Sox. Navy caps, navy undershirts, navy dugout jackets ... and sometimes navy-dominant away jerseys, but those went back and forth with some frequency.

It wasn't until the Henry regime took over in the early 00s that they started wearing more red, with the undershirts and such. Presumably to better differentiate from the Yankees. Since then too the Red Sox have become more of a red at home, navy on the road team, as seen in the alternates and the BP jerseys and the jackets/hoodies in the dugout.

For the record I think the increased use of red was a good move, even if it wasn't really tradition. And the flat navy away jerseys always looked off to me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Traditional Good.

There's the reason why I'm not into the idea of the Yankees dropping the white outline. The Red Sox dropped red and it looked SUPER off. It didn't feel right at all. Something was missing and they fixed that when they brought back the red.

Is it traditional, yeah. Is it automatically better? ehh.....not always. 

XM4KeeA.png

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'd say that navy was, traditionally, the primary accent color for the Red Sox. Navy caps, navy undershirts, navy dugout jackets ... and sometimes navy-dominant away jerseys, but those went back and forth with some frequency.

It wasn't until the Henry regime took over in the early 00s that they started wearing more red, with the undershirts and such. Presumably to better differentiate from the Yankees. Since then too the Red Sox have become more of a red at home, navy on the road team, as seen in the alternates and the BP jerseys and the jackets/hoodies in the dugout.

For the record I think the increased use of red was a good move, even if it wasn't really tradition. And the flat navy away jerseys always looked off to me.

These are all fair points, but as @insert name mentions, I don't think that tradition is always the best look for a team.

I'm hardly an expert on the Red Sox uniform history, but as you point out, it seems that their road grays have switched back and forth in terms of the color of the wordmark (assuming this site is accurate). Red up until the mid 30s before switching back to red in the early 70s. Then of course blue made a resurgence during the 80s (think about what Buckner was wearing during the 86 World Series) before back to red during the 90s. That of course pre-dates the Henry ownership.

The look they adopted during the 90s is perhaps their best. That is, before they jumped on the solid color alternate bandwagon. I like neither their blue nor their red. Leave the solid navy to the Indians!

I think that navy works well as the color for the cap material, accenting, and undershirts, but I dislike it as a solid color alternate and a road wordmark.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Traditional Good.

I agree. Here are some baseball traditions:

Not wearing batting helmets

Not allowing people with darker skin to play baseball

Not playing games at night

Wearing colored pants

Wearing pinstripes on the road

Some of these are fine to revive, others belong in the past. For the Red Sox, I think they look pretty good right now, with the stronger emphasis on red. And while I know it's not a "rule," I do feel if you're going to have a color a part of your name, you should show off that color. (Looking at the White Sox that wear black socks).

Strong emphasis on red is good for the Reds and the Cardinals but not the Red Sox. The navy undershirts and jackets are more subdued in a way that feels appropriate for Boston. As long as the socks are red and the lettering is red, it's fine. I don't like red nor navy for alternates. They shouldn't have alternates.

It's always kind of bothered me how the AL's biggesr rivals wore such similar colors. I like the Red Sox regular home and road unis, and the fact that they actually wear red socks. But it's never looked "right" to me that they don't always pair the socks with red undershirts. 

Probably the biggest change I'd make is switching to the 1975 hats. They emphasize red, but still have enough navy to stand out from the Cardinals and Angels. Keep the navy caps on the backburner, like the Cardinals often do, and only wear them when playing on the road against another team in red.

I don't necessarily think the Sox "need" an alternate jersey, but if they must have one, keep the red, ditch the navy.

I've long advocated for the 1936-37 road uniform to receive a modernization. 

david-price-of-the-boston-red-sox-pitches-during-the-first-inning-of-picture-id601182470?s=2048x2048

I even mocked up what it'd look like!

Vw1gtKQ.png

I like the idea of the Red Sox doing the color flip on the road, if only so they wind up looking less like the other navy/red teams (who mostly emphasize red at home). They certainly look better than Cleveland when they do it!

I also like the color flip, even though I think just solid navy is fine. Nothing wrong with their current roads, I’d just prefer something based on navy. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most of these changes that get bandied about for Boston remind me of the navy scripted away (and the ill-fated, little-remembered Sox logo alternate hat they rolled out around that time) in the sense that it just seems like change for change's sake. The current away is what a Red Sox away jersey should be; maybe bring back the cuff piping on the sleeves to really make it perfect. 

The red vs. navy argument is tough and kinda depends on the application. I like the red jackets and hoodies much better, and the original version of the red alternate (with headspoon) was fantastic. But the Red Sox had one of the all-time great BP jerseys in the heyday of BP jerseys, in all their mesh pullover glory, with the navy base and the Sox logo to the side. And the navy undershirts looked good, reminds me of Peak Pedro. I don't like the home/road color flip thing for BP jerseys and accessories, but in Boston's case, maybe it's the right compromise.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Red Sox would look great without alternates but at the same time I think the red jersey looks pretty good in a vacuum or as fan gear so I think it would work best if they dropped their alternates but kept a red BP jersey.

Kinda like the Dodgers who look great without alternates but have a pretty sweet blue BP jersey that looks awesome on fans.

I guess I'm saying that there are multiple teams where colored jerseys make awesome fan gear even though the actual players would look best in their traditional home and roads.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Red Sox would look great without alternates but at the same time I think the red jersey looks pretty good in a vacuum or as fan gear so I think it would work best if they dropped their alternates but kept a red BP jersey.

Kinda like the Dodgers who look great without alternates but have a pretty sweet blue BP jersey that looks awesome on fans.

Both of these teams have alternates that seem to be worn willy-nilly. I have no idea if the Red Sox are going to wear their home jerseys or their red alternates. I have no idea if the Dodgers will wear their team road jerseys or the city road jerseys. I wish both of these teams would settle on a simple, predictable alternate schedule.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've long advocated for the 1936-37 road uniform to receive a modernization. 

david-price-of-the-boston-red-sox-pitches-during-the-first-inning-of-picture-id601182470?s=2048x2048

I even mocked up what it'd look like!

Vw1gtKQ.png

I like the idea of the Red Sox doing the color flip on the road, if only so they wind up looking less like the other navy/red teams (who mostly emphasize red at home). They certainly look better than Cleveland when they do it!

Those are beautiful!! 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

Both of these teams have alternates that seem to be worn willy-nilly. I have no idea if the Red Sox are going to wear their home jerseys or their red alternates. I have no idea if the Dodgers will wear their team road jerseys or the city road jerseys. I wish both of these teams would settle on a simple, predictable alternate schedule.

It used to be the Red alternates would be for all Friday night home games and the blue would be for road games on Friday nights.

But the last two seasons it has not been like that

Archived