MLB 2019 Changes

They're playing the Reds, who are doing 7 more throwbacks of their own at home this season, including 1969 throwbacks August 11th, Vs. the Chicago Cubs. Assuming the Reds don't provide the Cubs with their own throwbacks, I guess we will have gone full circle?

Edit:

While some could probably figure it out or just already knew, I should,ve pointed out that the Reds are wearing their regular road unis and not throwbacks.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen them in action a few times this year, but the Marlins new uniforms are absolutely boring as it gets. They just slapped a wordmark on a white uniform and called it a day. There's no design to it. Nothing on the plackets, nothing on the sleeves, nothing around the collar...absolutely nothing. I seriously hate the fact that those aren't going away for a long time to come.

spacer.png

On 7/16/2019 at 8:07 AM, Quillz said:

I have no idea if the Dodgers will wear their team road jerseys or the city road jerseys. I wish both of these teams would settle on a simple, predictable alternate schedule.

THIS. When I go to Dodgers road games, I want to wear the same jersey they’ll have on on the field. It’s yet to happen. I’ll have on Los Angeles; they’ll have on Dodgers.

And I agree with the batting practice jersey. Hopefully they wear it for Think Blue week. It looks great with the white pants. Hell, it looks great with the grey ones as well.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

14 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I've seen them in action a few times this year, but the Marlins new uniforms are absolutely boring as it gets. They just slapped a wordmark on a white uniform and called it a day. There's no design to it. Nothing on the plackets, nothing on the sleeves, nothing around the collar...absolutely nothing. I seriously hate the fact that those aren't going away for a long time to come.

They do have sleeve piping and a great sleeve patch. With that said there are plenty of teams with just a wordmark on a white uniform that don't get called boring. I guess simple uniforms are only boring when the Marlins do it. For everyone else it's classic clean traditional and timeless. Double standards rule. 

36 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They do have sleeve piping and a great sleeve patch. With that said there are plenty of teams with just a wordmark on a white uniform that don't get called boring. I guess simple uniforms are only boring when the Marlins do it. For everyone else it's classic clean traditional and timeless. Double standards rule. 

Ok, so there is a thin black stripe on the sleeves, maybe that just gets lost in the background on me, but I can't help you if you want to have some sort of inferiority complex about it. I just find them beyond boring, I couldn't care less about it being the Marlins or any kind of double standards. There's also an argument to be made that a '90s team going for a "timeless" look isn't the best course of action, either, but that's kinda beside my point. 

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Ok, so there is a thin black stripe on the sleeves, maybe that just gets lost in the background on me, but I can't help you if you want to have some sort of inferiority complex about it. I just find them beyond boring, I couldn't care less about it being the Marlins or any kind of double standards. There's also an argument to be made that a '90s team going for a "timeless" look isn't the best course of action, either, but that's kinda beside my point. 

Definitely not an inferiority complex, not sure where you got that from. The Giants Indians Pirates and others have the same style of home uniform so it's more of noticing the general trend and just making a comment about it, it's not personal against your opinion. 

Just for clarity, the sleeve piping is three colors, black blue and red.

19 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

There's nothing timeless about the Marlins new home whites.

I agree. I know they're a 90s expansion team. 

I'm just mentioning that the word timeless has been used for jerseys that are virtually the exact same style as the Marlins home whites... wordmark, sleeve piping, sleeve patch. That's it. Some jerseys have less than that and are called timeless. 

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I agree. I know they're a 90s expansion team. 

I'm just mentioning that the word timeless has been used for jerseys that are virtually the exact same style as the Marlins home whites... wordmark, sleeve piping, sleeve patch. That's it. Some jerseys have less than that and are called timeless. 

I disagree. The difference between the Marlins and the Giants, Pirates, and Indians is that those other teams actually have noticeable "colores" in their wordmarks. Those teams also don't have sterile, soulless wordmarks that scream "uncanny valley" whenever you see them (channeling @SFGiants58 here).

In other words, there are profound differences between the Marlins jersey and those of other teams. The Marlins not having a timeless look has zero to do with them being a 90s expansion team or the team that everyone likes to dump on. The lack of timelessness can entirely be attributed to appallingly poor design choices. 

There are absolutely not "profound differences" between the Marlins jersey and those other teams. 

The Marlins, Giants, Indians, Pirates all have a wordmark across the front with sleeve piping and a sleeve patch. How anyone can deny that is beyond me.

Wishing or preferring that the Marlins use their colors differently is fine (I dont disagree with that) but those teams (and others) all have the same style/template/format/etc of jersey. 

The post I originally responded to said the Marlins jersey is boring because "they just slapped a wordmark on a white jersey and called it a day."

If slapping a wordmark on a white jersey and calling it a day is boring then someone please give me a logical reason why the Dodgers and Athletics don't have boring jerseys because it sure looks like that's what they did. 

Thinking ahead I'm sure the answer will be "because their wordmarks aren't black." If so, it's still just a wordmark on a jersey. 

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

There are absolutely not "profound differences" between the Marlins jersey and those other teams. 

The Marlins, Giants, Indians, Pirates all have a wordmark across the front with sleeve piping and a sleeve patch. How anyone can deny that is beyond me.

Wishing or preferring that the Marlins use their colors differently is fine (I dont disagree with that) but those teams (and others) all have the same style/template/format/etc of jersey. 

Again, the differences are the volume of color and the uncanny valley design. Those are profound departures from other teams.

The marlins uniforms have definitely grown on me, I really like the grey and white uniforms, much more than I thought. A bit more color would help but I think they give away the idea better than people give them credit for. To be fair though I haven’t seen them in person. The black uniform is still bad, they really need to bring in the blue alt from preseason. That was a great look

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

41 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

One difference besides the font is the Miami script is straight.  I like that.  Most scripts are slanted and too many teams have it imo.

I feel that is one aspect that contributes to the unsettling uncanny valley-like perfection of the script. Consequently, it just looks so artificial and mechanical. It's trying to look like a cursive script but in the end there's just something cold and lifeless about it. Basically the exact opposite effect they were clearly striving for. And of course the monochromatic color scheme downplaying their "colores" contributes greatly to this overall feeling.

Everything about this rebranding just feels so antiseptic to me, which I find to be rather unsettling of course. But that's what the uncanny valley does to you.

I have literally seen 1 person wearing the new marlins hat in public.  Back in 2012 when they changed the old uniforms it seemed like everyone and their momma were wearing the M black cap or the M orange cap. 

2 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

I have literally seen 1 person wearing the new marlins hat in public.  Back in 2012 when they changed the old uniforms it seemed like everyone and their momma were wearing the M black cap or the M orange cap. 

I attribute that to people thinking the 2012 Marlins were gonna be good as they went on a ridiculous spending spree and marketed themselves as a contender so that helps in selling past the actual hardcore Marlins fans.

The 2019 Marlins came off a nearly 100 loss season and were known to be likely just as bad this year as well. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I attribute that to people thinking the 2012 Marlins were gonna be good as they went on a ridiculous spending spree and marketed themselves as a contender so that helps in selling past the actual hardcore Marlins fans.

The 2019 Marlins came off a nearly 100 loss season and were known to be likely just as bad this year as well. 

Most of the people I saw wearing them were the match my sneakers with my hat and new t-shirt crowd that knows almost nothing about baseball. 

Archived