Jump to content

MLB 2019 Changes


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

Today

EAgX_MDWwAAot_8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

 

Why is it so hard to add front numbers to replicas?

 

14 hours ago, mjd77 said:

 

...and sleeve patches when necessary.  It's always irritated me.  Just charge a few bucks more and get them right.

 

Price point. That's the difference between replica and "authentic".  

 

Why would someone shell out an extra $100+ for just different material. 

 

:censored: I remember just 15 maybe less years ago the replicas all used the same single color block font for names and numbers. Never team specific lettering/numbering.

 

Gotta pony up for the real McCoy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really love the Phillies cream alts and I love that the players are wearing blue accessories to go with the caps but perhaps they need blue socks too?

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

I'm not really a fan of the blue up top, red at the bottom look and I think is is one of the few times where pants all the way down look better than wearing high socks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From day one, they should have had blue socks and either blue or black belt/shoes.

 

Red socks, belt, and sleeves looks silly, and contrary to the look they're trying to emulate.

 

Switch all the accessories, then ditch the cartoon-bubbly numbers and NOB and go with a true NNOB look with large block numbers and we've got ourselves a good alt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I know the Big Red Machine gets a lot of love, but this is the right look in my opinion. spacer.png

 

spacer.png


Ditch the pins and these are a thumbs up for me.  I don't like the pinkish hue they give off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NicDB said:


Ditch the pins and these are a thumbs up for me.  I don't like the pinkish hue they give off.

 

Which is what they did 1968-71, and those are coming up next.  Fingers crossed that the positive feedback from the red and white uniforms (with no black or navy) will be loud enough that the team will make that switch back very soon.  They can still sell merchandise with black in it, even as the predominate color.  They did so prior to the addition of black to the uniforms in 1999.  I've got a couple Starter jackets from the early 90s with black trim on them, and you can slap any logo on a black cap, polo, or hoodie, even if there's no black in the team's uniform.  I'm not buying retail sales as a reason that black has to be kept in the uniform, as some have claimed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

 

Which is what they did 1968-71, and those are coming up next.  Fingers crossed that the positive feedback from the red and white uniforms (with no black or navy) will be loud enough that the team will make that switch back very soon.  They can still sell merchandise with black in it, even as the predominate color.  They did so prior to the addition of black to the uniforms in 1999.  I've got a couple Starter jackets from the early 90s with black trim on them, and you can slap any logo on a black cap, polo, or hoodie, even if there's no black in the team's uniform.  I'm not buying retail sales as a reason that black has to be kept in the uniform, as some have claimed.

 

A good example is the Red Wings...plenty of merchandise with black, but there's no way the jerseys will be anything other than red and white. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not a fan of the MLB allowing players to individually pick which color accessories they’d like to pair with the uniform. 

 

It reminds me of the NBA allowing players to wear shoes that in no way match the teams color scheme. It looks awful 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I’m not a fan of the MLB allowing players to individually pick which color accessories they’d like to pair with the uniform. 

 

Likewise, I don't like the idea of players freestyling on their socks.  When you see multiple sock styles on the same team (next to the goofballs who don't show any sock), it looks very sloppy.  A player can't decide to wear his own style of cap; the undershirts and socks are no less parts of the uniform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I’m not a fan of the MLB allowing players to individually pick which color accessories they’d like to pair with the uniform. 

 

It reminds me of the NBA allowing players to wear shoes that in no way match the teams color scheme. It looks awful 

 

It doesn’t thrill me either but it’s been a big part of the marlins look this year.  The players that have worn it best have done a lot with blue and red arm sleeves and cleats 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

 

It doesn’t thrill me either but it’s been a big part of the marlins look this year.  The players that have worn it best have done a lot with blue and red arm sleeves and cleats 

It only really works in the Marlins' case because the uniforms have so little color in them to begin with that the players have to basically supplement color themselves. I tend to notice the sleeves and cleats before I do the jerseys and caps.

 

The previous uniforms didn't exactly have loads of color either but they used to look like garbage whenever Stanton or Ozuna would wear those neon highlighter yellow compression sleeves. I'm surprised the team even allowed that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

It only really works in the Marlins' case because the uniforms have so little color in them to begin with that the players have to basically supplement color themselves. I tend to notice the sleeves and cleats before I do the jerseys and caps.

 

The previous uniforms didn't exactly have loads of color either but they used to look like garbage whenever Stanton or Ozuna would wear those neon highlighter yellow compression sleeves. I'm surprised the team even allowed that.

 

The league must have cracked down on that because you don’t see it anymore.  Guys on other teams were doing it too. You’re right about the marlins colors though.   Loria really f-ed up the original uniform when they remade it in 2003 to make teal a third color. I’m confident they will adjust the design to bring the colors out more with this new set. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

The previous uniforms didn't exactly have loads of color either but they used to look like garbage whenever Stanton or Ozuna would wear those neon highlighter yellow compression sleeves. I'm surprised the team even allowed that.

 

Over the winter I took my son to Ballpark Village to watch the Cardinals blue jersey announcement and I recall one of the questions that was asked was something along the lines of "how's that blue going to look with Ozuna's neon yellow compression sleeve?" and everyone laughed.  The response from Bill DeWitt III was said in a joking manner, "Someone may have to have a discussion with him about that."  It came off as just a funny quip, but to be honest, I don't recall seeing it on him this season.  Maybe DeWitt wasn't joking as much as he let on.  😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

 

The league must have cracked down on that because you don’t see it anymore.  Guys on other teams were doing it too. You’re right about the marlins colors though.   Loria really f-ed up the original uniform when they remade it in 2003 to make teal a third color. I’m confident they will adjust the design to bring the colors out more with this new set. 

Guys still wear non-team colors fairly regularly. Willson Contreras has a Venezuelan-inspired chest protector with a fair amount of yellow. Eloy Jimenez wears red batting gloves for a black/white CWS squad. Lindor and Santana in Cleveland wear multicolor batting gloves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ZipperClub said:

Guys still wear non-team colors fairly regularly. Willson Contreras has a Venezuelan-inspired chest protector with a fair amount of yellow. Eloy Jimenez wears red batting gloves for a black/white CWS squad. Lindor and Santana in Cleveland wear multicolor batting gloves.

I watch a ton of marlins games.  Selection bias on my part.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Semi on-topic question:

 

Do any managers still wear the regular uniform top? Feels like every manager I see is wearing a hoodie or one of those other BP top-ish things. But never the regular jersey.

 

I don't have moral feelings on this issue, just a curious observation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Digby said:

Semi on-topic question:

 

Do any managers still wear the regular uniform top? Feels like every manager I see is wearing a hoodie or one of those other BP top-ish things. But never the regular jersey.

 

I don't have moral feelings on this issue, just a curious observation.

 

I don’t see much of the Marlins so I don’t know how often he wears it, but Mattingly comes to mind:

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.