MLB 2019 Changes

1 minute ago, NicDB said:

Serves them right for debuting them in Milwaukee.  Such a dick move for an organization that claims to have so much class.

Memorializing drunk drivers was the tipping point. At least Josh Hancock didn't kill anybody while he was drunkenly texting and driving.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Serves them right for debuting them in Milwaukee.  Such a dick move for an organization that claims to have so much class.

They wear them for Saturday road games, and their first road Saturday game was in Milwaukee. That wasn't a shot at the Brewers.

In all the years of the Reds throwing back to the 70s, they have never gotten the collar right.  And don't even get me started on the socks.  Why do today's players automatically assume that players wore their pants up to their knees in the past?  Can the team just not lay out the correct pants and stirrups for the players to wear?  I have no idea what the hell Aquino was doing with his socks.  There may have been others, but he was the one I saw online tonight.

johnny-bench-5557f603-5f7f-4e31-b530-e433c48a91e-resize-750.jpeg

RenderBitmap.jpeg

David Bell on Aristides Aquino's hot start to the season, Cincinnati Reds' win

QBigRedMachine.jpg

67416046_2403791899947136_8605913663979882540_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com&oh=7f78942021b46963fb1fdce05cbc2db5&oe=5DE3927F&ig_cache_key=MjExMjg2MDk0OTI4NjMxNDc3Nw%3D%3D.2

gettyimages-1168674377.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1?w=1000&crop=0

10 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

In all the years of the Reds throwing back to the 70s, they have never gotten the collar right.  And don't even get me started on the socks.  Why do today's players automatically assume that players wore their pants up to their knees in the past?  Can the team just not lay out the correct pants and stirrups for the players to wear?  I have no idea what the hell Aquino was doing with his socks.  There may have been others, but he was the one I saw online tonight.

johnny-bench-5557f603-5f7f-4e31-b530-e433c48a91e-resize-750.jpeg

RenderBitmap.jpeg

David Bell on Aristides Aquino's hot start to the season, Cincinnati Reds' win

QBigRedMachine.jpg

67416046_2403791899947136_8605913663979882540_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com&oh=7f78942021b46963fb1fdce05cbc2db5&oe=5DE3927F&ig_cache_key=MjExMjg2MDk0OTI4NjMxNDc3Nw%3D%3D.2

gettyimages-1168674377.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1?w=1000&crop=0

the collars are one thing I've noticed. The white stripe in the middle was very thin back then, which always bothered me. The throwback jersey collars are the way I wish they would've been back in the day, which although an aesthetic improvement, is historically inaccurate. 

As for the pants and socks - I don't think it's an issue of the teams laying out the wrong pants, it's more that pants are tailored differently now than they were then. To be true to the look of the time you'd have to get all the pants tailored into tight capris that stop mid shin and I don't think today's players would feel comfortable wearing pants they're not used to. For yesterday's game in the 1990 uniforms the players would've been closer to form if they had worn their pants down to their shoes. 

fe1dfb273af924a96f4e897403903b44--reds-b

The sock issue is an issue that persists on any given day in baseball. Teams aren't strict about standardizing what socks their players wear so one team on the same field could have many different kinds of socks. That's how you get guys in a 1976 throwback game out there in logo-ed Stance socks, Disco in full red, Senzel in stirrups (closer to period accurate, but the Reds famously made their players wear the short stirrups in the 70's) 

2b3fe07078e6e6a99fc92b8bcf714f8f.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

They wear them for Saturday road games, and their first road Saturday game was in Milwaukee. That wasn't a shot at the Brewers.

It's still their decision when they wear what uniform.  No one forced them to say powder blue was for Saturday.

Besides, I think the Cardinals have exhausted their goodwill and benefit of the doubt by now.  I don't necessarily think they're more "evil" than any other franchise.  I just wish they'd stop pretending they're so classy and above it all.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

It's still their decision when they wear what uniform.  No one forced them to say powder blue was for Saturday.

Besides, I think the Cardinals have exhausted their goodwill and benefit of the doubt by now.  I don't necessarily think they're more "evil" than any other franchise.  I just wish they'd stop pretending they're so classy and above it all.

But they stated when the uniform was unveiled that it would be worn for Saturday road games only. They have stuck to that. I’m sorry if they remind you of 1982, and if that’s the case you need to move on.

I’m not sure how an alternate uniform is a declaration of being classy either. It is a money grab, and most Cardinals fans are willing to hand over their money for the shot of inaccurate nostalgia that is being bestowed to them by the front office. 

I assure you that nobody is thinking about the Brewers. 

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Are you serious now?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

But they stated when the uniform was unveiled that it would be worn for Saturday road games only. 

Also worth pointing out that its just their road version of this uniform:

Kolten+Wong+Cincinnati+Reds+v+St+Louis+C

Which they wear every Saturday home game, and have been for the past 6 years. The only difference being its powder blue in color and that they wear it on the road instead of at home.

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are you serious now?

I'll admit, I may have exaggerated how much I'm holding the powder blue against them.  But I am legitimately fed up with the sanctimony of the Cardinals organization.  They're the Notre Dame and (hate to admit it) Green Bay of baseball. 

22 hours ago, Ark said:

Why does it matter what height the players wear their socks at? They wear them like that because that's what's comfortable for them, which matters a lot for professional athletes.

It matters because that's not how the team looked in 1976, and pairing high pants and socks to the knees with what are supposed to be period-correct uniforms looks...well...dumb.  That being said, my frustration is directed more at players who change their from their normal pants to higher pants and longer socks when the team wears throwbacks, when they don't wear them that way the rest of the time.  It's as if the throwbacks are their cue to break out the short pants and long socks, when it's not even correct for the period.

DeSclafani and Aquino provide just two examples of what is a league-wide thing.  It's not about what's comfortable, at least for many.  It's about their trying to look the part and having no clue.

r12886_600x400_3-2.jpg1168661680.JPG

1166523882.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560gettyimages-1168674377.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1?w=1000&crop=0

2 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Also worth pointing out that its just their road version of this uniform:

Kolten+Wong+Cincinnati+Reds+v+St+Louis+C

Which they wear every Saturday home game, and have been for the past 6 years. The only difference being its powder blue in color and that they wear it on the road instead of at home.

This version is 100 times better than the powder blue version.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 8/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, NicDB said:

Um, as others said it was their Saturday away alt. Milwaukee happened to fall on the first Saturday away game. If it wasn’t them it would have been someone else. Does debuting it against the rays make it a slight against them? The answer is no. They are just following a uniform schedule and that’s it.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, Ark said:

That is the same thing. Blaming a "curse" is just an excuse for your team not being good enough to win. 

So back in 1992 the Blue Jays wore white front-panelled caps at home. They went on a losing streak in them and switched to the solid blue road caps. They got out of the slump and wore the solid blue caps both home and away the rest of the season. They ended up winning the World Series. They retired the white front-panelled caps the next year, only wearing the solid blue caps. They repeated. The Jays haven't worn white front-panelled caps regularly since.

Was it really the white front-panelled caps that were holding them back from World Series glory? No, obviously not. Still, sports is reliant on a mental aspect. If a change in uniform can help a team's mental position just a tiny bit? It's worth doing. You need every edge you can get. It's why superstition is so prevalent in sports.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, Delicate Genius said:

AQTT6he.png

The Dodgers' profile pictures on social media is kinda neat. Is this new or am I just noticing it?

Edit: oops, they had it last year too.

I love that circle logo... I don’t know why. 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

On 8/18/2019 at 6:02 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

My dad, who usually couldn’t care less about uniforms, was gushing over the throwbacks last night. He couldn’t stop talking about how these were the jerseys the Reds wore when he was growing up, and how they should’ve kept them. 

I am not a Reds fan but holly molly I love these throwbacks just as much as I love the 1986 Angels pullovers.  In the past few years I have become more of a pullover fan.  Alot of the Teams in the Mexican Pacific League are tending towards these type of jerseys. 

Archived