MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Somehow, I don't think the Yankees or Dodgers players would mind playing each other in, you know, their traditional garb due to the rare regular season meeting between the two teams.

MLB is just being tone deaf.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Somehow, I don't think the Yankees or Dodgers players would mind playing each other in, you know, their traditional garb due to the rare regular season meeting between the two teams.

MLB is just being tone deaf.

They should just wear the normal unis and dare MLB to fine them.

MLB: We are going to have players weekend. We are going to put your nickname on your uniform, and you can feel free to use the cleats, compression sleeves, and bats of your choosing.

Players: Wow, that sounds great. Thanks.

MLB: Here are your uniforms. We really think the black and white will show off your individual choices.

Players: On second thought, we don’t really need a players weekend after all. 

1 hour ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I wonder if this is a reaction to what's going on in the NBA. MLB seems like they're really trying to appeal to a certain "hip" crowd. I just don't think that's really where the focus should be. It's the oldest of the BIG 4, they should really act like it.

Seriously this. Let the NBA be the NBA. You're not the biggest sports league in America anymore, MLB. Deal with it. If you're a niche, embrace the niche like the NHL does, for example. But please stop constantly tossing this gimmick bull :censored: at us. 

45 minutes ago, heavybassX said:

Also... no one pointed out that Indians in White is the same as WHITEWASHING.

Someone in MLB didn't think this through.

Okay, two things wrong with this statement:

1. The Indians are in black

And 2.... 

x0kniZw.jpg

I've read through a few pages regarding the players weekend, having no inside info, my gut asks if maybe this black and white for all teams isn't so Majestic isn't stuck with tons of left overs with the impending switch to Nike next year? With the style that was used the last few years over players weekends, there were a number of different color combos (22 by my count in 2018) that were team specific. If they just do black and white, they can run through their inventory for this weekend and not have random Reds, or Giants or Astros specific jerseys left over. It has to make production easier and allows them to add quantities or any player/team easily if needed. I've seen an article that the day after their contract with MLB is up, Majestic is sending all the merch they have to liquidators, so I'd imagine they just want to wash their hands of it and be done. Just a thought that might help explain this.

SEAsig.png

3 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I wonder if this is a reaction to what's going on in the NBA. MLB seems like they're really trying to appeal to a certain "hip" crowd. I just don't think that's really where the focus should be. It's the oldest of the BIG 4, they should really act like it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It's painfully fellow-kids, and if baseball wants to faithfully emulate a league that's become more an abstract cultural force than a product actual people want to watch in person or on TV, then it's their funeral.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't imagine them axing it completely. It's in the CBA, fans seemed to like the previous two iterations, and MLB would probably be leaving merchandise money on the table otherwise. My guess is that they adopt a completely different uniform concept that they expect fans would actually enjoy and buy. Players Weekend seems like something that Nike would totally eat up too. And it does seem plausible that Majestic's imminent departure might have had something to do with how these jerseys were designed. I wonder how much inventory there is as opposed to last year.

Also, for what it's worth, while I personally hate the black uniforms myself, I sense that much of the backlash is directed toward the white on white. I'd wager that next year's sets will be much more colorful.

Between spring training and batting practice paraphernalia I think there are ample opportunities for MLB and their merchandising partners to extract money from eager consumers.  The NHL does special event uniforms that teams only wear during warmups.  The league needs to keep the actual in game uniforms as they are designed to be on a regular basis. Fans that want to spend money on merchandise can get their freak on with BP and ST designs.  Mother’s Day Fathers Day and patriotic holidays can feature appropriate BP designs and teams can wear their normal uniforms. It still allows for merchandise sales.  The games aesthetic doesn’t have to be compromised 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, Whitesox572 said:

The White Sox don't need a rebrand.  No.  Please no.

Also, this would essentially go back to the unis they had '87-'90. Awful.

The problem is that the script looks dreadfully amateurish, especially compared to the cursive "Chicago" they've used since '91. If they have to have a "White Sox" cursive script in their identity (preferably on the jackets, a la the Yankees), cleaning up the '87-'90 design is a far better approach.

Either way, the "this is what the kids like" approach has blown up in MLB's faces. I doubt the next CBA includes this promotion.

And I thought the 1999 "Turn Ahead the Clock" uniforms were bad.  At least there was some creativity involved like with the Mercury Mets uniforms.

These monochrome black/white uniforms are TERRIBLE!😡🤮  The white jerseys are worse because I can barely see the numbers!  The black ones are marginally better (but not by much), but I can't see the logos on the cap! These uniforms better not see the light again!

Watching the Cubs/Nationals game and notices that the Cubs pitcher is wearing a black cap but the other Cubs players are wearing white caps.  But the Nationals pitcher is also wearing a black cap alongside his teammates. What???🥴

I also watched some highlights of the Dodgers/Yankees game yesterday.  Part of me actually hopes that this will be this year's World Series match-up (if the Cubs don't make it), so that we can actually see them battle in their actual timeless uniforms.  It's also weird seeing the Yankees wear a NOB (Name-on-Back) jersey on the field.  George Steinbrenner must be spinning in his grave.

Archived