MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I'm not happy to see yet another World Series played in batting practice jerseys, all in the name of superstition.  (Yes, I know they're "alternates".)  It's like someone wearing a hoodie to their wedding.

If the groom was using the wedding to boost his financial interest in a hoodie company.  Gross. 

Then again, the regular Nats home jerseys are so ugly, the alts are a huge improvement.  

So, torn. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, BJ Sands said:

It was great to see the Cardinals' blue hats again, but it was weird since they're now a clash against red-capped teams and the Nats donned their blue. Did St. Louis not realize the Nats were sticking with blue? I wonder if the Cards switch to red today.

I think it's just more of a set rule with the navy caps that they've stuck with for a while now. They wear the navy caps vs red capped home teams regardless of what the other team decides to wear. 

Call me crazy but, despite my preference for no alternates in the postseason even if the alternate is a better option, I can see and understand why a team would continue wearing a winning jersey.

That kind of stuff can add some fun and fire to the fanbase even if it's all just superstitious BS in the end.

I think we sometimes forget that jersey choices and the aesthetics aren't the most important thing to the majority of the fans and a good postseason run is as much about the fans as it is about the team and if they're all having fun thinking that those navy alts are bringing them good luck then let them enjoy it. Same with the baby shark song thing and other silliness over the years with other teams. This is still just a game meant to entertain.

9 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I understand the superstition of sticking with the blue jerseys home and away.  Whatever it takes to get 4 more wins baby!

Exactly my point... true Nationals fans (which seems weird to say considering they've been in DC for just 14 years) aren't gonna care about which jersey is being worn. All they're thinking about is how to win one more series.

Teams have been wearing alternates in the postseason for so long that I've just kind of given up on being crabby about it, but it is a shame that we'll never get to redo the 2016 World Series again or the Cavs winning the championship in black t-shirts or the Raptors in their silly NORTH uniforms. The biggest moment these teams will ever have and they did it in blank blue jerseys or already retired alternates that were intended for like 5 games a year.

I do think the league(s) should make rules about alternates in the playoffs to protect the teams from themselves. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

true Nationals fans (which seems weird to say considering they've been in DC for just 14 years) 

14 years is a long time.  There are kids in college now who have no memory of the days before Washington had a team.  

When the Brewers went to the Series in 82, they’d only been in Milwaukee for twelve years. And nobody thought they weren’t true fans.  Hell, the A’s won their three-in-a-row in their fifth, sixth, and seventh years in Oakland, respectively. 

For an old guy like me, yeah. Fourteen years is the blink of an eye. But for a kid?  It’s literally a lifetime. 

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

14 years is a long time.  There are kids in college now who have no memory of the days before Washington had a team.  

When the Brewers went to the Series in 82, they’d only been in Milwaukee for twelve years. And nobody thought they weren’t true fans.  Hell, the A’s won their three-in-a-row in their fifth, sixth, and seventh years in Oakland, respectively. 

For an old guy like me, yeah. Fourteen years is the blink of an eye. But for a kid?  It’s literally a lifetime. 

Well said.

I think I was just thinking that there are probably a lot of Nats fans who haven't even been fans all 14 years especially since they stunk for so long when they first got to DC... but there are definitely die hard Nationals fans out there too.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

yeah I don't get this mindset either. The Marlins were in year 5 when they won it all, the Dbacks year 4, but there were still diehards who took great pleasure in those championships. Yeah they weren't long-suffering Cubs fans, but once that fanhood takes root in a person it doesn't take long to cement itself. Source: me and the Columbus Blue Jackets. 

And what was a 30 year old person (now mid 40's) from DC to do in 2005? They're lifelong Capitals, Redskins, and Wizards/Bullets fans. Of course they're going to pull for the new team in town. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, zigbazah said:

Maybe I'm too young (mid 20s), but I really don't get all of this Expos nostalgia. Sure, I'm aware of the 94 player's strike, but the move to DC has been an clear success. 

That's debatable. Since they moved to DC, they've gone to the playoffs five times and this is the first time of those five that they've made it past the NLDS. Two-thirds of their time in DC have been spent at home during the playoffs.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

That's debatable. Since they moved to DC, they've gone to the playoffs five times and this is the first time of those five that they've made it past the NLDS. Two-thirds of their time in DC have been spent at home during the playoffs.

This is a poor method to determine success. Going with your method, the Nationals have already been wildly more successful than the Expos were as 5 playoff berths in 14 years is much more than the 1 appearance the Expos made in 35 years. I think most fanbases would like to have had the postseason appearances the Nationals have had since 2012 when they began their current run. Add on to the fact that the Nationals were able to secure a new stadium, have ample crowds, and an ownership group that spends money on the team; I am not sure what is debatable about the Nationals being a success. 

2 hours ago, zigbazah said:

Maybe I'm too young (mid 20s), but I really don't get all of this Expos nostalgia. Sure, I'm aware of the 94 player's strike, but the move to DC has been an clear success. 

Yes, the move to DC has been a success. The nostalgia surrounding the Expos, in my opinion, comes from the recognition that Montreal had a history of great players but never really had a fair shake. They played in a bad stadium with horrible ownership at the end of their term. I think a lot of people wonder what the Montreal market could be like if there was ownership/management in place with a proper stadium that gave a darn. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

This is a poor method to determine success. Going with your method, the Nationals have already been wildly more successful than the Expos were as 5 playoff berths in 14 years is much more than the 1 appearance the Expos made in 35 years. I think most fanbases would like to have had the postseason appearances the Nationals have had since 2012 when they began their current run. Add on to the fact that the Nationals were able to secure a new stadium, have ample crowds, and an ownership group that spends money on the team; I am not sure what is debatable about the Nationals being a success. 

And the only teams with more wins than the Nats since 2012 are the Yankees and Dodgers.

From 1969-2004, the Expos drafted/signed and developed these Hall of Famers into major league players:

Gary Carter

Andre Dawson

Tim Raines

Randy Johnson

Vladimir Guerrero 

Possible Hall of Farmer:

Larry Walker

That is pretty impressive. Did any other team develop as many during that time period? I can think of 4 with the Padres; Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Gwynn, and Roberto Alomar. 

Archived