MLB 2019 Changes

On 10/31/2019 at 7:24 PM, daveindc said:

I can see the white script ST jersey starting off as an alternate. Maybe replacing the white stars and stripes Curly W alt. Funny that this is the first year for those and they share their ST facility with the Astros. Wasn't the Astros' navy sunrise jersey originally just a ST jersey too?

No for the Astros (had one with the H-Star when they new set came in 2013 and changed it to "Astros" a few seasons ago) and this was the second year for the "Nationals" navy alt.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The H-star sunrise jersey was originally just a BP jersey that they started wearing in games. 

spacer.png

When they introduced the “Astros” version in 2016, it was upgraded to an official on-field alternate from the beginning. 

Should bring back the orange cap as a Sunday alternate, and as always, put an orange squatchee on the orange brim cap. Cap 101. If the brim is a different color than the crown, the squatchee matches the brim. 

Yeah, they could be much more interesting. What they have reflects the Soulless Baseball Machine they really are, but why do such a thing if you don't have to?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I had wished from the rebrand’s start that the Astros would’ve had some kind of shooting star wordmark like they had in the 60’s.

spacer.png

They could’ve even had the current block wordmark and topped a modified shooting star over it, and I think that would’ve worked fine (may have had to go without front piping to avoid clutter, but I think it’d have been worth it). As it is now, I’ve come more around to it, but still feel that no star anywhere on the wordmark was a missed opportunity to liven the look up a bit.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I had wished from the rebrand’s start that the Astros would’ve had some kind of shooting star wordmark like they had in the 60’s.

spacer.png

They could’ve even had the current block wordmark and topped a modified shooting star over it, and I think that would’ve worked fine (may have had to go without front piping to avoid clutter, but I think it’d have been worth it). As it is now, I’ve come more around to it, but still feel that no star anywhere on the wordmark was a missed opportunity to liven the look up a bit.

I was just about to say this! While I don't dislike the current Astros set, I far from love it, either. I really wish they had tried to capture more of that vintage 1960s space center/Astrodome kind of vibe and it's unfortunately very absent from their overall design.

I appreciate that they have brought back the original cap logo from the 1960s, but to me the star is more suggestive of the Lone Star state or a Texas Rangers badge, not of aerospace at all.

Adding a modernized take on the shooting star (while preserving a vintage aesthetic) would be very welcomed.

26 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This was my old concept, tried to make the old arched shooting star more dynamic by skewing it two ways:

8qJtDKN.jpg

The 93-99 Astros set wasn't that great, and they made it worse by changing the team's colors. Baseball teams shouldn't change colors, especially not after 30 years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, McCall said:

No for the Astros (had one with the H-Star when they new set came in 2013 and changed it to "Astros" a few seasons ago) and this was the second year for the "Nationals" navy alt.

First year for the ST jersey is what I was saying.

2 hours ago, Ark said:

The best Houston Astros set is their late 90s set. It's really too bad they changed uniforms for their new stadium, because if they hadn't they would probably still be wearing this set today.

4A5gdyW.jpg

I'd like to see this but without the outlines and a solid gold star.  I think it'd look great, and be in line with current design trends.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yo, I’ve done something like that, @FinsUp1214!

uv9Fqyk.png

Also, the ‘90s Astros looked like dreary trash.

Something seems a little off with the placement of the star on the jersey, but fix that and this is perfect.  Great way to work the sunrise into it.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

This was my old concept, tried to make the old arched shooting star more dynamic by skewing it two ways:

8qJtDKN.jpg

The 93-99 Astros set wasn't that great, and they made it worse by changing the team's colors. Baseball teams shouldn't change colors, especially not after 30 years.

This is also great, and I think I've said so every time it gets posted.  It has that "Jetson's" era vibe to it, but also is in line with today's trends.  This would be a great look for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, jn8 said:

Damn, the Dodgers wearing alternates on the couch?

I'm a huge Dodgers fan and getting knocked out in the 1st round stung this year, especially after we had the best regular season record ever in LA. But this comment made me laugh out loud! Hahaha! Good one! 

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The H-star sunrise jersey was originally just a BP jersey that they started wearing in games. 

spacer.png

When they introduced the “Astros” version in 2016, it was upgraded to an official on-field alternate from the beginning. 

Maybe its just me, but if your team uses 2+ non-grayscale colors in its branding (ex. orange-navy, red-navy, navy-gold...), then the base layer color should ALWAYS be the darker(darkest) of those colors.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

1 hour ago, PadreHomer said:

I agree, they went too plain on the homes when they had a great home template to work from that matches the look they went with. Definitely went in the right direction though with these uniforms.

That's where I come down.  I think they had the right idea, just whiffed on that one detail.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

9 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Maybe its just me, but if your team uses 2+ non-grayscale colors in its branding (ex. orange-navy, red-navy, navy-gold...), then the base layer color should ALWAYS be the darker(darkest) of those colors.

That is an excellent rule of thumb.  I really hated it when the Indians traded navy base layers for red.

There are obviously some exceptions, and I think the orange undershirt looks fantastic under the blue jersey.  But in general, navy is a better choice for them.

I think this is a fantastic uniform.  The orange piping gives it some life, but the navy base layer keeps it from becoming garish.

houston-astros-shortstop-carlos-correa-f

On 11/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Yo, I’ve done something like that, @FinsUp1214!

uv9Fqyk.png

Also, the ‘90s Astros looked like dreary trash.

They actually looked into doing a wordmark kinda like that during their rebrand. 

It was a navy cursive script that had a rainbow star trail within the script. Don't remember the exact details, but it was interesting. It may have leaked somewhere since then. 

This possibly could be 2020 changes...but here's the Baseball Winter Meetings logo, and it's fantastic. There have been quite a few Winter Meetings logos this decade that are really good.  (I guess this was published in June, so I apologize if it was already posted here).

dribbble_logo3_2x.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived