MLB 2019 Changes

On 11/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

I had wished from the rebrand’s start that the Astros would’ve had some kind of shooting star wordmark like they had in the 60’s.

spacer.png

They could’ve even had the current block wordmark and topped a modified shooting star over it, and I think that would’ve worked fine (may have had to go without front piping to avoid clutter, but I think it’d have been worth it). As it is now, I’ve come more around to it, but still feel that no star anywhere on the wordmark was a missed opportunity to liven the look up a bit.

Mine tried to incorporate the sunrise design directly into the star:

YcFBUMc.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This possibly could be 2020 changes...but here's the Baseball Winter Meetings logo, and it's fantastic. There have been quite a few Winter Meetings logos this decade that are really good.  (I guess this was published in June, so I apologize if it was already posted here).

dribbble_logo3_2x.jpg

I don’t like it when pointy parts are outlined with rounded outlines. Specifically the pennants in this case.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Winter Meetings as sand castle connotes a futility and ephemerality that I wouldn't think they'd want to draw attention to but I guess it's kinda cute!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hope they never go back to their 1998-2007 set. I love the set don’t get me wrong. But what the Diamondbacks have unveiled today are perfect now that the snakeskin is gone. The Dbacks are still too young of a team to going retro and honestly would love to see them evolve as a look. I’m just glad that the snake with the ball in the mouth and primary logo has stayed with the team as long as they have. Because this for me is perfect as a Diamondbacks fan and they are going to get more of my money for their hats and jerseys 

7 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I’m glad the Snakeskin and dark grey is gone but it appears they dropped the teal A alternate hat which was the best hat of the whole identity. 

One day they will get as smart as the Padres and go back to their original colors and identity. 

I thought the teal home and road looks should have been their primary identity. Definitely a loss. 

Looking at the video it appears that the los dbacks jersey has a button on it, so not a pullover. 

This look is okay, but I believe the purple, teal, copper, and black identity to be superior. Winning pushes sales ultimately. Change will give you a initial bump but the sales will never be sustainable without winning. The new primary uniforms are essentially the same as the Marlins primary uniforms, predominately black with a small splash of color. 

Can't say I'm a huge fan. This new look reminds me of the boring 2007-2015 uniforms, except with black emphasized over red to make it even more bland. The road uniforms strike me as the biggest downgrade, since the darker grey roads stood out from the rest of the league without being too extreme. I also think the snake skin pattern should have been toned down (for instance, by getting rid of the awkward side panels from the jerseys) instead of removed entirely. In an ideal world, they also would have gone back to purple by now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I still think it’s incredibly pointless that they have two separate home uniforms with the only difference between the two being the turquoise trim. Just make the “teal home” alt your everyday home uniform and add turquoise trim to the rest of your wardrobe and you’ll be set.

And unpopular opinion time: I actually liked the charcoal gray road uniforms; the pants just looked awful when worn with an alternate jersey.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Though this is an upgrade, I'm sad to see a team that tried something different go back to a more traditional style.

The problem was that the something different wasn't good and didn't look the way they envisioned it would look. 

I do harken back to how proudly the DBacks unveiled these uniforms a few years back and they insisted this was the best look and that this would change how other teams uniforms look over time and within a year they dropped some of the elements and now within 3 or 4 seasons they've completely changed all those supposedly hip new trendy ideas they had. A little conviction and sticking to their guns for longer might have gone over better. Changing like this just makes them look like they didn't believe in their concepts as much as they said they did and makes them look flat out dumb for even trying them. Maybe they conceded too soon?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The problem was that the something different wasn't good and didn't look the way they envisioned it would look. 

I do harken back to how proudly the DBacks unveiled these uniforms a few years back and they insisted this was the best look and that this would change how other teams uniforms look over time and within a year they dropped some of the elements and now within 3 or 4 seasons they've completely changed all those supposedly hip new trendy ideas they had. A little conviction and sticking to their guns for longer might have gone over better. Changing like this just makes them look like they didn't believe in their concepts as much as they said they did and makes them look flat out dumb for even trying them. Maybe they conceded too soon?

Excellent points. The original version was not good enough to justify arguing against traditionalists. And they probably knew that and didn’t stick to their guns because they didn’t want to. 

Archived