MLB 2019 Changes

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Gotta get back the good will that Mike Mattheny annihlated before his firing.

I like it as a more sedate version of their old set. Of course, I’d prefer that the team bring back the 1940s home/road set (with a red-billed navy cap), but that’s just me.

THIS!

4 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

What I am learning here is that white text is situational.  Royals powder blues with white text?  Revered.  Marlins grays with white text?  Reviled.  White Sox roads with white text?  Never heard much.

bret-saberhagen-ftr-gettyjpg_1rth947liaj

christian-yelich-mlb-miami-marlins-pitts 4879959052_4ea4d08723.jpg

Me, personally, I like all of these.

4 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

White Sox roads with white text?  Never heard much.

4879959052_4ea4d08723.jpg

Well, that's because this is from an era where the White Sox were changing uniforms every 3 or 4 seasons, drawing 5,000 a game to Comiskey, and had one foot out the door to Milwaukee. I think it's a gorgeous look, though, unnecessary "White Sox" in the tail aside. Mitchell and Ness never seems to carry it in any sizes other than Small and Multiple-X Large, though.

I don’t recall there being any powder blue jersey that had headspoon piping. I think it would work better without the piping. The powder blues were from a time where many teams - including STL were going to pipingless v-necks, and even the ones that didn’t (like Phillies, expos) still had the same general style of the V-necks (mostly the racing stripes and lack of piping.)

7 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

What I am learning here is that white text is situational.  Royals powder blues with white text?  Revered.  Marlins grays with white text?  Reviled.  White Sox roads with white text?  Never heard much.

christian-yelich-mlb-miami-marlins-pitts 

IMO, this uniform was great and severely under appreciated. 

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

A modern update without the tail would look amazing and breath some life into the team. 

I disagree. The White Sox have a long, bad history of changing their identity. They finally figured it out in 1991 and have built a consistent brand for themselves since. They’ve made some tweaks for the worse in recent years, but the overall look is the same. For a team that, as Sodboy pointed out, was changing looks evey three to four years at one point? It’s fantastic that they’ve stuck with the same overall look for nearly thirty years. 

And hey. They won their first World Series in over 80 years in that look too. 

Going back and introducing a blue and white uniform for no real reason wouldn’t help. It would weaken the first strong brand the Sox have had in G-d knows how long. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Going back and introducing a blue and white uniform for no real reason wouldn’t help. It would weaken the first strong brand the Sox have had in G-d knows how long. 

Oh, it’d probably be a black/white version of that idea, which is better for an alternate than the “Winning (then losing) Ugly” set.

But yeah, all the uniforms really need are black topped socks with white bottoms (and maybe a grey middle stripe). Shameless self-plug:

veBMNYI.png

It’s how to have 30 years of brand equity while also representing the name.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Oh, it’d probably be a black/white version of that idea, which is better for an alternate than the “Winning (then losing) Ugly” set.

But yeah, all the uniforms really need are black topped socks with white bottoms (and maybe a grey middle stripe). Shameless self-plug:

veBMNYI.png

It’s how to have 30 years of brand equity while also representing the name.

I'm a White Sox fan and I love what you did here , love that you added the "diamond sock" patch back to the road uni, but wouldn't it work on the home also ? I just always wanted to see what it would look like , maybe to just add a bit more to the home.... Even when they had the comiskey park patch, I feel it added a little something more....