MLB 2019 Changes

1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

I suppose it's possible that the angle of Kingery's head could be obscuring the batterman, but this photo seems to verify the lack of batterman.

phils.jpg

This is another decent look at the 2018 hat...no batterman.

I bought a Phillies TBTC hat in 2017 (when they wore the pinstripe homes), and it had no batterman.

DjpKWCFU0AExa7h.jpg

Interestingly, when the Phillies wore throwbacks in the 2011 Civil Rights Game, against Atlanta (IIRC), the batterman featured royal blue (more true to the 80s primary logo) and the colors were blue/white/maroon:

Philadelphia+Phillies+Throwback+TBTC+Tur

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well file that under "TIL".

Here's on-field confirmation:

Santana.Crawford-300x207.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From the story: 

"You may recall, the Phillies wore a throwback powder blue uniform last season as part of a series of retro games, and that uniform included the cap New Era posted here. So, you may be asking, if this was worn last year, why is this being treated as a whole new thing here? The difference is that this year it’s an official alternate cap, part of the team’s regular uniform rotation; last year it was the equivalent of a “Turn Back the Clock” one-off design."

I'm not sure how it's any different - is it just that as a "one off" they had to designate the dates in advance, while as an alt, they can choose to wear it every day if they want?

really hope that the accompanying uniform is the home and that they're' not going to wear powder blue at home again.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for phillies 1989   thon.jpg

To me, this is how the Phillies should look, period. Take this set (along with the homes, obviously), and modernize it just a bit. (Though frankly, there's not much to modernize). I was never a big fan of the number font, so I'd change that (although not to the one they use now, it's horrible). But I echo that maroon and gray (along with powder blue) makes a great color combo.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Ahem...

rollie-fingers.jpg

I'd put the Brewers in the second tier of powder-blueness, along with the White Sox' early adoption, the Blue Jays, and maybe the Braves (lack of red notwithstanding, and with the understanding that they have looked much better since going back to a more traditional appearance). Third-tier would be the ones that just don't impress me much at all - Twins, Rangers, Mariners all come to mind.

Come to think of it, though, I should've put the Expos in the first tier. I love those uniforms, with the pinwheel caps and the racing stripes and the powder blue on the road. 

Phillies fan here. I like the 70-91 look, it is undoubtedly iconic. That look is so defined by its time that I think it'd be a mistake to use them for anything more than a weekly appearance. However if given a choice I much prefer the current uniforms they've been wearing.  I think they are also classics and timeless. In fact I'd like to see them go to that looks predecessor and inspiration from the 1960s.

I don't mind the 70s look making a once a week appearance. Anything more than that is too much. I do wish they'd wear the home pinstripe jersey with the zipper at home. To me it's the far superior jersey of that era between their home and road uni. It's somewhat bothersome to see the powder blues at home. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, ScubaSteve said:

I hope this means its being incorporated into their normal look rather than using it just with throwbacks. I think the Phillies are starting to realize how much the fanbase loves this look and are smelling the $$$

And the next thing you know, the retro P will also be incorporated in current colors and they'll end up with a mess just like the Brewers.

8 hours ago, mjd77 said:

And the next thing you know, the retro P will also be incorporated in current colors and they'll end up with a mess just like the Brewers.

I think the Phillies identity is a little stronger than the current Brewers one (to avoid confusion, the Miller lite M look). If it means anything, the Phillies did win a world series in the current look.

9 hours ago, mjd77 said:

The retro P was red in logos and on/off on caps / helmets so it isn’t quite the same. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t think it means much. 

And no, the current balloony Phillies look isn’t all that much better than the Brewers’ terrible uniforms. 

I completely agree. I like the P on the cap but I'm not a fan of the jersey script. I always throw that "they won in them = they must be good" aspect for the ones who like to bring it up.

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I actually have a hat like this.  It looks good.

If that Swirly P was recolored to Blue & Red, it would look like a Pepsi logo. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I prefer the swirl-less variant.

9234_philadelphia_phillies-alternate-197

It’s cleaner and doesn’t have any detail to lose in small applications.

I like it because the stem is more vertical and has less weight to it, with the swirl would still be better, but I like the orientation of that P better.

Got knows looking at throwback phillies hat the P is usually somewhat different on all of them.

Archived