MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across this Mets picture in recent days and had questions...

Is it just me or does the helmet decal here look raised/3D based on how the light is slightly reflecting off both the top of the N and the top of the Y? I wanna say there's on way they had a 3D logo back then but I wanted to see if anyone had any info on this. It just seems way too strong of a raised reflection to be just a coincidence...

Image result for sports illustrated darryl strawberry

Lastly, just curious if anyone had any backstory or reasoning as to why the Mets basically had the same New York wordmark as the Yankees in the late 80s?

Image result for gary carter mets

30 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Came across this Mets picture in recent days and had questions...

Is it just me or does the helmet decal here look raised/3D based on how the light is slightly reflecting off both the top of the N and the top of the Y? I wanna say there's on way they had a 3D logo back then but I wanted to see if anyone had any info on this. It just seems way too strong of a raised reflection to be just a coincidence...

Image result for sports illustrated darryl strawberry

I think it's just thick die-cut vinyl.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

43 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

just curious if anyone had any backstory or reasoning as to why the Mets basically had the same New York wordmark as the Yankees in the late 80s?

Image result for gary carter mets

I can only presume that they were looking for something clean and modern to compliment their racing-stripe jerseys.  The old style lettering would have been very jarring on that jersey.

Perhaps they didn’t think it read as “Yankees” to them.  Keep in mind that the Yanks themselves almost abandoned that road wordmark a decade before, didn’t see it as important to their brand. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, Ray Lankford said:

It's very Padres that the border looks almost the exact same as the piping on their 04-11 alts:

ikxpbcbis0c7dnbghqrwzn3rd.gif

The "50" resembles the numbers from that era of uniforms too. 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Might I add... I love the number font on the powder blues.

Helvetica?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

16 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Helvetica?

The 5s at least are slightly different, but it’s not anything exotic or custom. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The 5s at least are slightly different, but it’s not anything exotic or custom. 

Yeah, it looks like the shop tried to hand-cut Helvetica to create them, and they got something that looks like it, but retains much of the human hand in it. It was that weird era in which photo lettering had changed the way type layout was done, but digital cutters and plotters weren’t widely used yet, so there are a lot of 1970s uniforms that are “geometric” designs, but they’re very loose and imperfect because they still had to cut them by hand much of the time.

199405.jpg

Seems like the repros that that they’ve worn more recently just use a common digital version of Helvetica.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Friar Swings Again: Padres Reveal 50th Anniversary Logos

January 12, 2019 - 20:33 PM

The San Diego Padres are taking a look back as they celebrate their 50th anniversary season coming up in 2019, the commemorative logo for the milestone was unveiled officially by the team this afternoon at their annual FanFest event. Joining […]

Read More...

Even the repros can be inconsistent, but I'm pretty sure the ones they wore last year were just as you said, because you can see the slight slant on the left side of the 5.

When I was growing up watching them (my memories of these span from '86-'91) the 5 was consistently straight, like the one below.  I'd be very surprised to see a jersey from that era where the 5 is the true helvetica one.

phillies_311.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

San Diego Padres 50th Anniversary Logo Leaks

January 10, 2019 - 19:08 PM

padres-50th-logo.jpg

The logo the San Diego Padres will use this season to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their inaugural season leaked last night, just a few days before it was scheduled to be officially unveiled by the team. Courtesy an OYO […]

Read More...

Ended up being 1 of 3. There’s also a brown/gold and camo one

The Braves will supposedly announce a new uniform at their upcoming Chop Fest event on Saturday 1/19.

If I called the shots:

Primarily wear the classic white and gray, the main uniforms are too good to be minimized with too much alternate uniform usage.

Wear the traditional navy/red cap full time, including on the road (as opposed to the all navy cap with the gray set).

Use the navy road set at most once a week (you can keep the all navy cap for this set, but only this set). This uniform is worn way too much on the road.

Keep the cream throwbacks (still think they are one of the best in baseball), probably once a week.

Pick select weekends to wear powder blue Dale Murphy and Hank Aaron feather throwbacks, they don’t need to be part of the regular rotation.

—————

What more do we possibly need? I can’t imagine what this new uniform could be, unless it’s another throwback.

Also, I’m completely against the red jerseys. They stunk with Chipper and the current flag themed ones aren’t great, either. Look like a minor league team.

Archived